Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Folks, given the last few years in the western half of the US and Canada, with forest fires everywhere and fire bans etc., it got me thinking about campfire alternatives (or non-traditional campfires). As I write this, a forest fire is burning about 2.5 miles from a friend's house and was started by illegal campers in an area under fire ban.

My buddies and I here in Colorado rarely have a campfire going unless we are in an area that has seen moisture recently and is not under ban or under any kind of advisory, and when we do have a campfire, it's usually a propane-based fire pit of some sort. These types of fire pits don't result in floating embers that can carry in the wind and start a fire somewhere else.

What are your favorite campfire alternatives?

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Folks, given the last few years in the western half of the US and Canada, with forest fires everywhere and fire bans etc., it got me thinking about campfire alternatives (or non-traditional campfires). As I write this, a forest fire is burning about 2.5 miles from a friend's house and was started by illegal campers in an area under fire ban.

My buddies and I here in Colorado rarely have a campfire going unless we are in an area that has seen moisture recently and is not under ban or under any kind of advisory, and when we do have a campfire, it's usually a propane-based fire pit of some sort. These types of fire pits don't result in floating embers that can carry in the wind and start a fire somewhere else.

What are your favorite campfire alternatives?
We have a big one at home that we have yet to wear out. But its a weber q grill. They make a smaller one that is nice to store away for camping( one reason I always chose a pickup over a suv. always have room for stuff!) I worked as a Firefighter for 8 years so it is always a stove over fires and a fire if we could have one for just the glow and the morality of having a fire. Dont wanna be that person that torches off a 50,000 acer fire burning a love letter haha your from denver so youll catch that.. there are smaller space saving burners and stuff but I always like the q. It always has just the amount of room for stuff. I need to find a smaller refillable bottle for the propain those little green guys are a pain. I had a old camp stove my granpa gave me that took lantern fuel that worked like a charm but it was hard to find parts for.

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

We have a big one at home that we have yet to wear out. But its a weber q grill. They make a smaller one that is nice to store away for camping( one reason I always chose a pickup over a suv. always have room for stuff!) I worked as a Firefighter for 8 years so it is always a stove over fires and a fire if we could have one for just the glow and the morality of having a fire. Dont wanna be that person that torches off a 50,000 acer fire burning a love letter haha your from denver so youll catch that.. there are smaller space saving burners and stuff but I always like the q. It always has just the amount of room for stuff. I need to find a smaller refillable bottle for the propain those little green guys are a pain. I had a old camp stove my granpa gave me that took lantern fuel that worked like a charm but it was hard to find parts for.
Yeah, I’ve ridden through the charred remains of that fire. Pretty sad.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

When ground fires and wood fires in a raised pit are not allowed, I use a Camp Chef Propane Fire Ring.

Has fold-out legs that keep it off the ground, lava rocks around the burner ring to hold the heat, and creates no sparks, as you wrote, to drift away and catch leaves on fire. Can be used on a table too if needed. Cools off quickly and packs up nice in its own bag. Though I've found it wise to unscrew the valve when stowing away so it doesn't get damaged. I added a much longer hose, too, so I can move it just about anywhere I want under my awning during a rain or further out when desired.

campchef-firering_under.png

camchef-firering-hotdogs.png

campchef-firering-rain.png

If no ground fire is allowed but you can burn wood in a raised pit, I favor my flat-pack pit from Summit Expedition Trailers (@summitexpotrailers on insta). I love the set back grill area, which makes it easier to load and provides a wider range of temp areas for cooking. I prefer it now, actually, to my Snow Peak folding fire pit, which is another good alternative to having a wood fire on the ground.

Summitfirepit_2018-09-15 at 16.13.10.png

summitfirepit_0005-800.jpg

summitfirepit-0010-crop-800.jpg

Summit Firepit ^^

Snow Peak:

snowpeak-firepit-cooking.png

Last edited:

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

When ground fires and wood fires in a raised pit are not allowed, I use a Camp Chef Propane Fire Ring.

Has fold-out legs that keep it off the ground, lava rocks around the burner ring to hold the heat, and creates no sparks, as you wrote, to drift away and catch leaves on fire. Can be used on a table too if needed. Cools off quickly and packs up nice in its own bag. Though I've found it wise to unscrew the valve when stowing away so it doesn't get damaged. I added a much longer hose, too, so I can move it just about anywhere I want under my awning during a rain or further out when desired.

View attachment 68823

View attachment 68824

View attachment 68825

If no ground fire is allowed but you can burn wood in a raised pit, I favor my flat-pack pit from Summit Expedition Trailers (@summitexpotrailers on insta). I love the set back grill area, which makes it easier to load and provides a wider range of temp areas for cooking. I prefer it now, actually, to my Snow Peak folding fire pit, which is another good alternative to having a wood fire on the ground.

View attachment 68827

View attachment 68821

View attachment 68822

Summit Firepit ^^

Snow Peak:

View attachment 68826
Great info!

Reactions: Road

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Flatpit makes a folding fire pit which also has a gas insert. So if you can't have wood fires, you can still have an evening fire, as long as you have a large propane tank. When wood fires are allowed, you can remove the gas insert and use the fire pit for a wood fire or even use it with charcoal for a dutch oven. I don't have one yet, but plan to get one now that we have a trailer. The Solo stoves look awesome because they are zero-smoke, but they fail in too many other categories. This is the one in my wish list:

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Just got my Camp Chef Compact Fire Ring. I’ve only tested it in the back yard so far, but it suits my needs. Legal virtually everywhere all the time, safer than wood, good heat, visually appealing, no wood to carry, no smoky smell on me and my clothes for days, and perhaps most importantly I don’t have to carry extra water to put out the fire. It uses about a half gallon an hour at max flame and throws quite a lot of heat. It seems quality, so I hope it lasts a long time.