Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Macpherson
Member #

One of my favorite places too, always loved fighter jets.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

This is a secret location, so I cannot say exactly where, but it's about a 5 day drive west of Kathmanud in Nepal. This villge is 500 years old and home to a rare group of Tamang people in the Himalayas. I go there somewhat regularly. The last time I met with several village elders. They said before me, there was said to be a westerner that came to visit in the 1960s, but some think he was Indian. If I'm not the first westerner to visit this village, I would be wildly surprised. It's amazing such places still exist.

These tents are part of our most recent expedition camp. We used two Defenders and a Mahindra Scorpio to access this place, which was not easy. The road is only 6 months old. I suspect it will eventually destroy this place. Half a century and a road will be its undoing.

The cone-shaped baskets are silos filled with barley and corn. Most homes have enclosures below where livestock are kept as this is prime snow leopard terrain. The surrounding area is an unbelievable area of Himalayan "hills." That hillside behind the village has more than 5,000 feet of relief....a "hill."

View attachment 132202

Cool image and camp spot.

Roads have a way of doing that, unfortunately. Local populations get relatively inundated compared to what they've been used to, and the culture slowly gets diluted and westernized. Regional differences fade and sometimes disappear altogether.

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

Where was this one taken? Always looking for new lakes and reservoirs to explore.
If I were you I'd be spending most of my spare time in the Eagle Cap wilderness, but you're probably tired of it :blush:.

The shot with my tent and my girlfriend was at a backpacking campsite at Duffy Lake in the Mt. Jefferson wilderness.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If I were you I'd be spending most of my spare time in the Eagle Cap wilderness, but you're probably tired of it :blush:.

The shot with my tent and my girlfriend was at a backpacking campsite at Duffy Lake in the Mt. Jefferson wilderness.
You know what’s funny, I have lived on the boarder of the Eagle Caps my whole life, and have only ventured in a handful of times. Finally after 40 years, I hiked into the Minum via Rock Springs last summer. I wanted to get to Red’s HR, but my party wasn’t up to going past the sheep herders camp. :( I unfortunately don’t have any friends that are into backpacking so it was probably my first and last trip backpacking. I have some health concerns keeping me from going solo.

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

You know what’s funny, I have lived on the boarder of the Eagle Caps my whole life, and have only ventured in a handful of times. Finally after 40 years, I hiked into the Minum via Rock Springs last summer. I wanted to get to Red’s HR, but my party wasn’t up to going past the sheep herders camp. :( I unfortunately don’t have any friends that are into backpacking so it was probably my first and last trip backpacking. I have some health concerns keeping me from going solo.
At 62 I've been looking into overlanding as an alternative to backpacking. My girlfriend is only 54 and I introduced her to backpacking only three years ago, so I won't bbe completely quitting backpacking just yet, but exploring by car and camping in the wilds has a lot of appeal too :wink:

Reactions: Big G