Townsend, Georgia, United States
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Mahaffey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRWH971
We LOVE the Toiyabe National Forest! Hoping to get down there next year.
We'll go back. It's a very long drive from Georiga, but worth the miles. We slept in hammocks over in the cedar(?) grove behind us. My hammock was about ten feet from the NP boundary (which is twenty closer to the camp than the Gaia map indicates...look for the boundary markers every several hundred feet.) I'm thinking we are going to make the trek out to Expo West in the spring, so hopefully, we can work in another couple of weeks of Overlanding and drive north before we turn east again. One more picture to share because I loved the place:
20180810_065344.jpg
The tent is our star-gazing and emergency "on the very off chance it rains" shelter. We didn't need it for star-gazing (no bugs!) and of course, it didn't rain there in August. All the land around the site for about 300 degrees is National Park, the only National Forest land is the way you came in (up the valley.) I think there is another great site on down the road a few miles past where we stopped, but I never got down there to check it out. It's at 38.851466, -114.212564 in case anyone ever gets over there. I'd love to know if the views are as awesome as Gaia, Google and FatMap make it look!

By the way, the hike up to that lower knoll in the picture above was hard. We are in pretty good shape for hiking and stuff, but without a trail it was a matter of crawling over a bunch of downed trees. You can barely make out tire tracks up the hill, but those are illegal since they are on NP land. And they haven't been used in years and years...the road is covered in many dozens of large fire-downed trees.

Last edited:

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

We'll go back. It's a very long drive from Georiga, but worth the miles. We slept in hammocks over in the cedar(?) grove behind us. My hammock was about ten feet from the NP boundary (which is twenty closer to the camp than the Gaia map indicates...look for the boundary markers every several hundred feet.) I'm thinking we are going to make the trek out to Expo West in the spring, so hopefully, we can work in another couple of weeks of Overlanding and drive north before we turn east again. One more picture to share because I loved the place:
View attachment 126746
The tent is our star-gazing and emergency "on the very off chance it rains" shelter. We didn't need it for star-gazing (no bugs!) and of course, it didn't rain there in August. All the land around the site for about 300 degrees is National Park, the only National Forest land is the way you came in (up the valley.) I think there is another great site on down the road a few miles past where we stopped, but I never got down there to check it out. It's at 38.851466, -114.212564 in case anyone ever gets over there. I'd love to know if the views are as awesome as Gaia, Google and FatMap make it look!

By the way, the hike up to that lower knoll in the picture above was hard. We are in pretty good shape for hiking and stuff, but without a trail it was a matter of crawling over a bunch of downed trees. You can barely make out tire tracks up the hill, but those are illegal since they are on NP land. And they haven't been used in years and years...the road is covered in many dozens of large fire-downed trees.
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate the details. I have your spot marked on my GAIA for a future trip down the road. I'll try and let you know if/when we head over there. It'll be a decent drive for us from Oregon as well!

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

One of our all-time favorite camp sites. In the Ochoco National Forest in central Oregon. Huge aspen grove facing a great meadow with several small creeks running through it. There is also an old homestead about 200 yards away from the grove. We love this place so much...we're getting married next spring right there where my fiance is standing in the picture!

20190810_120635.jpg

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

ADF?

Thanks for your service, Karl!
Yes - 23 years most of that was in the Military Police and thanks :grinning:

I always get a smile on my face when I see guys driving our ex 110 LRs, knowing how we looked after them and the treatment they got :grinning: :grinning:

We always maintained them and kept them in good repair but they copped a flogging in our bush!

Karl

UnfrozenCaveman

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Land Between The Rivers
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Wilks
Yes - 23 years most of that was in the Military Police and thanks :grinning:

I always get a smile on my face when I see guys driving our ex 110 LRs, knowing how we looked after them and the treatment they got :grinning: :grinning:

We always maintained them and kept them in good repair but they copped a flogging in our bush!

Karl
Hi Karl,
I've had this one for just the past two years. It's been pretty good...needed a few switches replaced...okay all of them :)

It's been to Moab twice (from central Iowa) and the Ouray / Silverton, Co area too.

Thanks
U.C.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

A couple favorite basecamps from the last six months:

pt72_7751-1028.JPG
In the woods of New Hampshire along a favorite lake. After being in the desert so long earlier in the year, this felt like the jungle.

I spent a ton of time in the borderlands, using base camp as a photography bunker from which I would go out to document the desert bloom and shoot the Milky Way and other night sky imagery.

santana_1841-1028.jpg
On the flats along the Rio Grande in far west Texas.

santana_1827-1028.jpg
That's Mexico out back of camp.

santana_2524-1028.jpg
Photography Bunker

santana_2136-1028.jpg
Having shade like this was critical in the Chihuahuan Desert.

I like that this spot was dug in a bit, half encircled by a raised berm of rock and sand. I'd attach my field blankets to the awning as shown and flare them out past the berm, folding them back or deploying them full-width depending on the position of the sun. At sunset I would roll them from the bottom up and bungee them to the awning clips, as seen below.

santana_3963-1028.jpg

santana_nightsky-5204-1028.jpg
Milky Way over camp in the borderlands, far west Texas.

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

THAT FEELING WHEN WORKING FROM HOME ...

rattlesnkmtn_6999-900.jpg

It was February and warm enough to not need my vest, though it was blowing a gale and billowing the side walls of my camp.

The sun was out full, the only clouds hanging back over the Old Ghost Mountains, leaving an unfettered brilliant blue sky overhead.
I’d figured the sun’s course the night before when pulling in, and set the trailer so my awning would provide maximum shade throughout the next day.

It brought a big old grin to my face just to be there, set up and ready to study the flora, fauna, and petrology of the area.

I had everything I needed.

homeoffice_6993-900.jpg
Home office, Chihuahuan Desert style.

AndyV

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Vangelisto
Member #

Nice camp! I wanted to boondock near Zion on our western trip a couple of weeks ago but it looked like rain, and pulling a trailer up a hill didn't look like the smartest thing to try. I then rerouted to boondock at Valley of the Gods near Bluff, same deal. Ended up in a campground in Bluff. Here's what weather looked like at Monument Valley on our way to north rim GC. View attachment 75633
Woww

Contributor III

Nepal
First Name
Christophe
Last Name
Noel
This is a secret location, so I cannot say exactly where, but it's about a 5 day drive west of Kathmanud in Nepal. This villge is 500 years old and home to a rare group of Tamang people in the Himalayas. I go there somewhat regularly. The last time I met with several village elders. They said before me, there was said to be a westerner that came to visit in the 1960s, but some think he was Indian. If I'm not the first westerner to visit this village, I would be wildly surprised. It's amazing such places still exist.

These tents are part of our most recent expedition camp. We used two Defenders and a Mahindra Scorpio to access this place, which was not easy. The road is only 6 months old. I suspect it will eventually destroy this place. Half a century and a road will be its undoing.

The cone-shaped baskets are silos filled with barley and corn. Most homes have enclosures below where livestock are kept as this is prime snow leopard terrain. The surrounding area is an unbelievable area of Himalayan "hills." That hillside behind the village has more than 5,000 feet of relief....a "hill."

DSCF5159.jpg