Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

Photos of the sky at camp in Hurricane, Utah
Very nice! Love southern Utah and I'd sure like to go back some day. My rig is getting a lot like yours, in appearance anyway. Still have a ways to go with the build, but I just bought a Smittybilt Overlander RTT last week. Haven't had a chance to take any photos yet, but will once I try it out (raining right now in Oregon...imagine that)

Elco joe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ouray, CO, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Skalsky
Member #

American basin - lil cool in September up there, our fall generally starts around that time. Everyone comes cat dogs kids :blush::blush:

Attachments

WeGoPlacez

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
Jessica
Last Name
Shaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HBA
Me and my girls this weekend in north FL.

View attachment 125281
View attachment 125282
Looks like fun! How do you like your RTT?
Very nice! Love southern Utah and I'd sure like to go back some day. My rig is getting a lot like yours, in appearance anyway. Still have a ways to go with the build, but I just bought a Smittybilt Overlander RTT last week. Haven't had a chance to take any photos yet, but will once I try it out (raining right now in Oregon...imagine that)
Thanks We love Utah, we moves here from Florida about a year ago. It’s so much fun outfitting rigs! We love the Smittybilt RTT! Would love to visit Oregon, someday we will! Do you have a favorite place in Oregon, somewhere we should consider?

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

Looks like fun! How do you like your RTT?

Thanks We love Utah, we moves here from Florida about a year ago. It’s so much fun outfitting rigs! We love the Smittybilt RTT! Would love to visit Oregon, someday we will! Do you have a favorite place in Oregon, somewhere we should consider?
My primary destination when I stayed in southern Utah was Bryce canyon, which I got to tour with blue sky and snow on the ground in April of 2006.

1573590281241.jpeg

Most of my trips since have been in the Central Cascades of Oregon, which are close at hand. I'm still a backpacker and have only started to think about overland trips.

The dry country on the East side of the state is great for overlanding. Look at the Steens mountain region, as a suggestion. My favorite trails in the mountains take forever to open up, usu. mid July because of snow. By all means drive out to the coast if you come to Oregon, much different than Florida.

1573590833066.jpeg

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

My primary destination when I stayed in southern Utah was Bryce canyon, which I got to tour with blue sky and snow on the ground in April of 2006.

View attachment 126716

Most of my trips since have been in the Central Cascades of Oregon, which are close at hand. I'm still a backpacker and have only started to think about overland trips.

The dry country on the East side of the state is great for overlanding. Look at the Steens mountain region, as a suggestion. My favorite trails in the mountains take forever to open up, usu. mid July because of snow. By all means drive out to the coast if you come to Oregon, much different than Florida.

View attachment 126717
I'm trying to save that picture of Bryce Canyon I want it as my deskop background for my work laptop! Can you email it to me by chance?

WeGoPlacez

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
Jessica
Last Name
Shaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HBA

View attachment 126716

View attachment 126717
Wow I just love your photos! Must say it’s very beautiful there! We are backpackers too, we love doing both overlanding and thru- hiking. Thanks Alex for taking the time to share that with us!

RedClay

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Townsend, Georgia, United States
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Mahaffey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRWH971
EPIC Camp: Eastern Nevada, Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest (steps from Great Basin National Park)
GPX: 38.856535, -114.223978

20180809_183252.jpg
20180808_191502_LI.jpg
20180810_065219.jpg
This is a really private, really remote site with a spectacular view. You are steps from the National Park so hiking is super easy. Just be sure to check in with the Ranger Station (sixty miles away) to get back-country registered for hiking in the park.

Ten-plus inch of ground clearance with 4-Wheel definitely required with good approach/departure geometry being very helpful. There are two very severe (dry in August) creek beds that cross the road that are really just rather steep-walled ditches. You should definitely be able to self-recover, as you are twenty miles from a mobile signal and unlikely to see anyone outside of the hunting season. The approach road is basically a melon-sized boulder field that likes to beat your undercarriage up if you go fast but is sure to be trouble if you go too slowly. It was all my Commander could do, and this trip alone has gotten me permission to get a Gladiator. :)

Bring your own water. The place is one of the darkest locations in the lower 48 if you like stars. Plenty of wildlife (but outside of the known bear zone.)

Pictures from August 11 - 13, 2018. Note red haze from California wildfires (which messed up our meteor shower viewing...it was awesome but not as much as it would have been!) Views here would normally be to the horizon without the haze.

Last edited:

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

EPIC Camp: Eastern Nevada, Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest (literally steps from Great Basin National Forest)
GPX: 38.856535, -114.223978

View attachment 126739
View attachment 126740
View attachment 126741
This is a really private, really remote site with a spectacular view. You are steps from the National Park so hiking is super easy. Just be sure to check in with the Ranger Station (sixty miles away) to get back-country registered for hiking in the park.

Ten-plus inch of ground clearance with 4-Wheel definitely required with good approach/departure geometry being very helpful. There are two very severe (dry in August) creek beds that cross the road that are really just rather steep-walled ditches. You should definitely be able to self-recover, as you are twenty miles from a mobile signal and unlikely to see anyone outside of the hunting season. The approach road is basically a melon-sized boulder field that likes to beat your undercarriage up if you go fast but is sure to be trouble if you go too slowly. It was all my Commander could do, and this trip alone has gotten me permission to get a Gladiator. :)

Bring your own water. The place is one of the darkest locations in the lower 48 if you like stars. Plenty of wildlife (but outside of the known bear zone.)

Pictures from August 11 - 13, 2018. Note red haze from California wildfires (which messed up our meteor shower viewing...it was awesome but not as much as it would have been!) Views here would normally be to the horizon without the haze.
We LOVE the Toiyabe National Forest! Hoping to get down there next year.

Reactions: WeGoPlacez