Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
This past weekend we were looking for a location for our last night of sleep on our 11-day adventure around CA and AZ After just being drenched by unexpected rain in the Mojave Desert overnight, we looked at satellite data and picked the one spot in Arizona where it looked like we could escape more rain. After driving a couple hundred miles south to the very western edge of Kofa National Wildlife Refuge we found ourselves right on the outer edge of the storms with a front row seat to the weather that was drenching the rest of the state.

10/10, would experience that again.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
This past weekend we were looking for a location for our last night of sleep on our 11-day adventure around CA and AZ After just being drenched by unexpected rain in the Mojave Desert overnight, we looked at satellite data and picked the one spot in Arizona where it looked like we could escape more rain. After driving a couple hundred miles south to the very western edge of Kofa National Wildlife Refuge we found ourselves right on the outer edge of the storms with a front row seat to the weather that was drenching the rest of the state.

10/10, would experience that again.

Nice shot with the double rainbow

Reactions: brien

Vince Rothermund

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Rosa, California, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

To what extent do you take that trailer off road? Does it handle fire roads well?

We're thinking about getting a small pop up like that, just wondering where we could realistically take it...thanks
We have the smallest of the models the Flagstaff offers (207se). It easily sleeps the four of us. The end-to-end length is just over 15' when collapsed and almost 22' when opened. The short length makes it ideal for us to pull through fire roads and light Jeep trails. The ground clearance has been perfect for what we do. We have made a few steam crossings without any leaks (again...nothing too crazy). I wouldn't take it on the Rubicon trail with the hitch setup it has currently, but it is very capable to get it out there in to the middle of the Forest and use it as a base camp for your offroad adventures.

Reactions: v_man

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@v_man
To what extent do you take that trailer off road? Does it handle fire roads well?
We're thinking about getting a small pop up like that, just wondering where we could realistically take it...thanks
I can't speak for @Vince Rothermund and his pop top, but I've taken my Chalet Arrowhead Trailboss (see avatar) down many forest service roads in Co, Wy, and Ut. Just last week we added a few in the Eastern Sierras. So far she has followed me where ever I've taken her.

I'm the 3rd owner of the Chalet so I'm not sure how much is original. I know that she has had the axle replaced with a heavier duty unit, flipped under the springs for lift, and now sits on taller than stock truck tires. I don't consider this A-Frame pop top is well suited for off road travel. It will do it but I think it has too many moving parts and bonded wood frame construction, so I worry about rattling things loose. Also dust gets in every where since it's not well sealed when folded down.

Pros:
Sleeps 3 comfortably
Heater for cold nights
Headroom!
2 burner stovetop away from the weather
Can carry 10 gals H2O - I've never used this feature
Dometic Fridge - I've rarely used this feature
Tows well behind a v8 (3.4l Tacoma can tow it but does NOT like doing so in the mtns.)
Brake system makes towing in Mtns. very nice
Large deep cycle battery system great for charging up phones and gear.
Cons:
Long -- Hard for me to back up and turn around on tight trails (Driver problem ... not specifically this trailer.)
Heavy ~2900-3000 lbs loaded -- Need to get a Scanguage (or similar) when towing with automatic to keep and eye on tranny fluid temps.
Burned up trans in Ford Van last year coming back from eclipse trip in Wy.
Heavy enough that can't de-couple from and manipulate by hand when in a tight spot.
Had to wire 2 older vehicles to tow it. (Neither 97 Tacoma or Dad's 2006 Ford Van came prewired for the tow controller. Easily enough done but took about a weekend each)
Storage costs - No room in Driveway so need to pay for storage spot
Boort