Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Since I travel a lot for work, I always try to take the oportunity to be outdoors. Here are some of my camp spots over the years....

Barstow, Ca - It was about 110 degrees here during the day, shade was king,

This was in northern Indiana. I camped here for 28 days straight...

This is in Portland Oregon. This trip has my personal record of 58 days straight...

Still in Portland, at this point my wife and kids had to return home. So I bought a new tent. I still use this tent after 8 years...

Wyoming backpack trip with my youngest boy...It was a long hike...

Then we were hungry, so we got ourselves a rabbit and cooked it up..

Somewhere in Georgia, With my old Scout and Apache...

New Mexico with my new truck.

Been a lot of places....

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Dubuque, Iowa camping. Was really nice a week ago here, 60+F... this weekend, down to 17F.

We gathered wood from the wooded area around camp. Cooked some wild boar that a buddy had caught himself. Good to test out some winter gear. Had to keep the water jerry near the fire all night. Interesting how everything freezing impacts camping.

Was muddy as all heck trying to get out there. Closest road was just a dirt trail about 1/4 mile away. I learned that snow tires (in stock size no less) are not fantastic in mud.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Even though it was probably one of the clunkiest setups I've had, There's alot of good memories in this setup. This was in early 2014, In the woods in Flagstaff. I was a volunteer at Overland Expo that year.

Although it's a messy setup, the things that make it so memorable is the fact that most of this gear is the gear we used camping in my childhood, pulled out of storage and put back into service. Minus the tent, water jerry's, and they yeti cooler in the background (which wasn't even mine, we just had them next to my jeep so that they were in the shade most of the day), most of this gear hadn't seen daylight in about 14 years, since my parents bought a motorhome and began camping out of that. The thing that makes this setup great is that everything works, and has a function. Although the Generator went out in the coleman stove (Hey, it lasted the past 70ish years without a problem!) There were plenty of other stoves there that I could use. I have since refined this kid, made it smaller in some ways, but a lot of it still sees use in the modern setup.
I really like the camp kitchen table. I need to find me one.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Reactions: Luis Merlo

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

I just bought a new camp kitchen from REI for like $59. It's super fast to set up and take down.
Prior to that I had one from Gander Mountain that was nice too, but I like my new one better.
https://www.rei.com/product/881640/gci-outdoor-slim-fold-cook-station
I should thank you TXpedition. I saw the recent 25% off of 1 clearance item deal at REI happening and jumped on this table. I think it was about $55 after shipping. Got it in today, seems very sturdy. Gonna have to put it through it's paces now.