Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
First Name
H
Last Name
T
Member #

I have no idea - I am not a mechanic or mechanical engineer; however, this is what I was taught to do in the Army (and three of the four vehicles were driven by ex Military), so I always do it after driving on a hot day.

Having said that though, this photo was taken at 6:00 pm that evening and it was still 37 degrees Celsius and there was absolutely no breeze and in those conditions I don't think that I would have the motor running with the heater on high and no air flow going through the radiator, seems to be a recipe for a disaster. It might work in cooler climates but in our hot and dry conditions I am not so sure and TBH, I won't be testing it out.

Karl

I'm not trying to change your mind, when I was given this info, I said pretty much the same things you are saying. The reply was that at idle with the hood closed, the fan draws plenty enough air to cool a hot engine down. Having the heater on draws even more heat away from the engine. I took an RV driving class taught by a former long haul trucker. That instructor, with over 2M miles, said that 10 minutes at idle, even with the heater off, was enough to bring a hot engine down to low enough temps to turn it off. But if the hood was open, it would not. Today's systems are sealed better than yesterday's, and with the hood open, it cuts air flow through the radiator, which is the main cooler for the engine.

Reactions: Nomad164

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
These are on my Instagram, but too good not to share here. Finally gone through my pictures from my Fall trip to TN, NC & SC. This is Dreher Island State Park SC.

IMG_2270_edited.jpgIMG_2301_edited.jpgIMG_2286_edited.jpgIMG_2220_edited.jpgIMG_2252_edited.jpgIMG_2256_edited.jpgIMG_2263_edited.jpg

Attachments

D

Deleted member 14476

Camped out on a ranch south of the Kofas in Arizona for some coyote relocation. Only 13 more days to go. With the work truck and just the bare essentials so I can pack easy to go as needed. Can’t complain about paid camping, tonight’s dinner is some JetBoil biscuits & gravy.

Attachments

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Camped out on a ranch south of the Kofas in Arizona for some coyote relocation. Only 13 more days to go. With the work truck and just the bare essentials so I can pack easy to go as needed. Can’t complain about paid camping, tonight’s dinner is some JetBoil biscuits & gravy.
Nice! I haven't been paid to camp since I was in the Army.

D

Deleted member 14476

Nice! I haven't been paid to camp since I was in the Army.
Thank you for your service.

It’s a blessing and a curse for sure. I get to go out under the stars and enjoy camping, but on the clock nonetheless. No coyotes out tonight so far though.(knock on wood)

Reactions: Ceg