Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

That is an awesome looking awning!
I'm digging the tent sections coming off the vehicles. We usually sleep in ours, so it would be neat to have it turned into rooms. We don't usually stay at one place too long though, so these types of setups have always seemed too much work. I may rethink that now.
Thanks Greg. Yeah, I've been using this set up of trailer, RTT, and awning quite steadily all over the country for about 2.5 years and love it.

bibeLC-190308-1000shrp-1517.jpg

Ashton, having rooms you can add quickly to vehicle or trailer makes a world of difference. I usually set up the trailer as shown above, then add walls as needed. Mine attach quickly with a wide heavy duty hook and loop across the top to the awning, then heavy duty zippers to each other.

I add either just one section or all the way around, as shown below. Once the awning is out like above, which literally takes less than five minutes, it's a simple process to add whatever walls one wants. Some of the systems for vehicle rooms work the same off an awning; some are a bit more complicated to attach to RTTs.

coldweather_5639.jpg
With part of the wall pulled back to show into the covered space.
This gives me almost 24' long x 7'6" deep under the awning on the galley side of my trailer. I make it into a smaller room if needed or hang a wall or walls to divide the larger space in two, or three.

coldweather_5642.jpg
Same setup, front corner.

coldweather_5645.jpg
Same setup, rear corner.
The tailgate area where my bike is, is under cover, too, with a triangle awning extension added. Makes a nice and handy covered 'garage' space immediately adjacent to the covered awning room.
coldweather_5638.jpg
Back side.
The whole thing deploys amazingly quick, as the expansive awning is already up. I do this wide of a setup for extended stay basecamps in colder weather, though it's just as easy to set up fast for unexpected company for just one night, or even if I'm alone and want a larger heated area out of the wind for just a night.

Super easy to keep dry and to heat with a propane fire ring.

I can also put corner triangle awning extensions on this side at each end to square off the awning ends, when I want.That really expands the space underneath and is great for when I'm working on projects and want to keep stuff in its own area.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks Greg. Yeah, I've been using this set up of trailer, RTT, and awning quite steadily all over the country for about 2.5 years and love it.

View attachment 147790

Ashton, having rooms you can add quickly to vehicle or trailer makes a world of difference. I usually set up the trailer as shown above, then add walls as needed. Mine attach quickly with a wide heavy duty hook and loop across the top to the awning, then heavy duty zippers to each other.

I add either just one section or all the way around, as shown below. Once the awning is out like above, which literally takes less than five minutes, it's a simple process to add whatever walls one wants. Some of the systems for vehicle rooms work the same off an awning; some are a bit more complicated to attach to RTTs.

View attachment 147786
This gives me almost 24' long x 7'6" deep under the awning on the galley side of my trailer. I make it into a smaller room if needed or hang a wall or walls to divide the larger space in two, or three.

View attachment 147787

View attachment 147788
Same setup, rear corner.
The tailgate area where my bike is, is under cover, too, with a triangle awning extension added. Makes a nice and handy covered 'garage' space immediately adjacent to the covered awning room.
View attachment 147785
Back side.
The whole thing deploys amazingly quick, as the expansive awning is already up. I do this wide of a setup for extended stay basecamps in colder weather, though it's just as easy to set up fast for unexpected company for just one night, or even if I'm alone and want a larger heated area out of the wind for just a night.

I can also put corner triangle awning extensions on this side at each end to square off the awning ends, when I want.That really expands the space underneath and is great for when I'm working on projects and want to keep stuff in its own area.

That is one sweet setup!

Reactions: Road

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Been using the quiet time to do some modifications to my camp set up.

I have a 2 x 2.5m awning and when I camp I have an awning tent that fits under it to give me shelter and protection from bugs etc but I didn't have anywhere to sit in shade or set up my cooking gear etc so I decided to use this quite time to modify the awning.

I had a 2.5 x 3m side wall for the awning but these are designed to be pegged into the ground, so they don't offer any more room as such.

So I got a mate of mine who is an Upholsterer to put a zip on the side of the awning and the wall and some eyelets at the other end and I made up a frame from poles to make an awning extension.

I still have a couple of modifications to do but overall I am happy with the result and look forward to getting out there and camping.

Comments welcomed :grinning:

Karl

Awning 1.jpg

Awning 2.jpg

Awning 3.jpg

One from a n earlier trip showing the set up without the tent and extension.

IMG_0126-Edit.jpg

DennyD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Windsor, WI, USA
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Dobson
Member #

Not really "Overlanding ", but back in February, before the Safer at Home rules took effect, we camped at St Andrews State Park in Panama City Florida. It was damaged pretty bad by a hurricane last year. The beach is amazing. White sand for a couple miles. It was a cool 60 degrees, but It was great to get away from the zub zero temps of Wisconsin for a few days!

Attachments

Jsustala

Rank 0

Contributor I

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Sustala
Here is a camp photo with a little story...

During this lockdown I have had the ability to spend a lot of time in my "home office". In this room hangs an oldey-timey hand colorized photo of my great uncle cooking breakfast. Roy was a Portland OR police detective and an outdoorsman; he was the ying to my grandfather's yang (outdoors stuff). The photo in the corner is my "overlanding posse" 10-15 years ago; death and attrition have knocked us back to 6 or 7 regulars. I think the picture of Roy was taken in John Day OR near Strawberry mountain - but this is a guess. Picture of my group is in the Castle Mts Montana.
View attachment 147714

Pacing the room one day I got interested in this photo and pulled it off of the wall and found this on the cardboard backer
View attachment 147758

And under the cardboard this photo that I can only assume is Roy:
View attachment 147759

Amazing thing is this picture went from my grandparent's generation to my folk's generation to me; I have had it for 10-20 years. All that time my folks and I were unaware of what lay beneath.
That's an awsome find bud

Reactions: Ubiety

Jsustala

Rank 0

Contributor I

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Sustala

View attachment 147790

View attachment 147786

View attachment 147787

View attachment 147788
Same setup, rear corner.
View attachment 147785
Back side.

Nice setup bud