Camp Photos!

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

the wife & I spent the week-end with our son Andrew & his family @ the Narrows Friday morning thru Sunday. Weather conditions were awesome, enjoyed them twin girls playing with them electric scooters & the wrecks they had. Ate good, cooked up Filet Mignon one night, Pork Steaks another & Grilled Chicken salad. Project Offroad Runaway Range Runner performed flawlessly.

The 30ft bumper pull w\ Dodge is my son's RV.
013.JPG014.JPG016.JPG005.JPG053.JPG020.JPG022.JPG045.JPG043.JPG039.JPG041.JPG026.JPG011.JPG010.JPG

Attachments

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

the wife & I spent the week-end with our son Andrew & his family @ the Narrows Friday morning thru Sunday. Weather conditions were awesome, enjoyed them twin girls playing with them electric scooters & the wrecks they had. Ate good, cooked up Filet Mignon one night, Pork Steaks another & Grilled Chicken salad. Project Offroad Runaway Range Runner performed flawlessly.

View attachment 105892View attachment 105893View attachment 105894View attachment 105911View attachment 105912View attachment 105913View attachment 105914View attachment 105915View attachment 105916View attachment 105917View attachment 105918View attachment 105919View attachment 105920View attachment 105921
Nice looking setup you've got!

Reactions: Risky

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

View attachment 105892View attachment 105893View attachment 105894View attachment 105911View attachment 105912View attachment 105913View attachment 105914View attachment 105915View attachment 105916View attachment 105917View attachment 105918View attachment 105919View attachment 105920View attachment 105921

You always have the best looking meals, Don.

I have a hard time understanding why some folks get out camping and don't cook up their best meals ever, but stick to hotdogs and hamburgers. I eat better and healthier foods, actually, when I'm camping.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Some images from recent wanderings around North America.

I left Maine the middle of Oct '18 intending to be gone only four weeks or so, to go to the RTT Rally in VA, then Appalachian Rendezvous at Uwharrie, then OXE18 at REEB Ranch. But, the Universe had other plans for me, including a bunch of road repairs in frozen parking lots in Ohio. I had to skip both the Rendezvous and OXE18.

I'd had enough of cold and ice, so headed where I knew it would be warm; the Gulf of Mexico and the Borderlands of West Texas. I ended up being gone eight months.

Captions below images.

padrens_1592-1000.jpg
Padre Island NS, during the govt shutdown. Hard-packed beach outside Corpus Christi, on the Gulf of Mexico.
Though the beach was still open to the public there were no services like trash pickup or stocking of the one restroom at the end of the pavement.

santana_1841-1000.jpg
Chihuahuan Desert, West Texas borderlands.

madera_1827-1000.jpg
Same spot, along the Rio Bravo del Norte (Rio Grande). That's Mexico in the background. No wall needed here.

santana-2136-1000.jpg
This became my photography bunker and hideout for over a month.

I loved this spot, quiet solitude and alone most of the time I was there.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

is that one of them electric bikes?
Yep, a Sondors X.

Had it almost two years now and haven't had any problems at all with it. Was $899 base price when I bought it, and with the upgrades of the 7speed derailleur, front shocks, and LCD screen which controls pedal assist and provides a bunch of info, made it $1299. They're up around $1499 now with the upgrades. Cheaper by half than the non-powered mountain bikes I've seen at places like REI. They make a couple different models, one of which folds in half for stowing in a trunk. Not sold in stores or dealers, nor does it have anything more than a 90 day warranty. That's two reasons it is way less expensive than you might expect.

I got it originally as a backup in case I broke down in the desert or somewhere else backcountry. A lot quicker, easier, and safer to ride out ten miles on a bike in half an hour than it would be to walk out in five hours, especially in open desert.

Then I discovered how great of a scout vehicle it is, checking out back country trails with my bike first to see if it's too washed out or not for van and trailer.

It's also a wonderful pack horse. I regularly go out collecting wood or trash, or into small local towns for groceries.

You can set it for any of five levels of pedal assist. As you start to pedal, it reads how fast the sprocket is turning and applies power proportionately. Not herky jerky at all, it kicks in smooth as butter. You can also just use straight throttle with no pedaling. It'll go about 45 miles on a full charge and can go up to around 25mph under it's own power if you know how to tweak the control panel. It comes from the factory with a 20mph limit to get around having to license or register it in some countries.

It's one of the best pieces of adventure gear I've ever purchased. They sell a lot to seniors like me.

Here's an image from this last trip, on a swamp trail in the bayous of southern Louisians, harvesting downed wood to haul back to camp.

bayou_9933-1000.JPG

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

been looking at the Rambo R750
Don't know much about that one. I learned, though, that just like with deep cycle batteries for our solar systems, having a few more amp hours can make a huge difference with these bikes as far as range or how frequently you have to charge 'em back up. My Sondors has a 17.5 ah 48v Panasonic battery, which fills that triangle in the body of the bike. I charge it from my deep cycles in the trailer via my inverter.

You'll love having an e-bike, I bet. I get out and peddle my ass off more and get more outdoor exercise and go a lot further than I ever did with a regular bike.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Camp scenes from early this past January. Two and half months into what turned into an eight month adventure, having been from Maine to Virginia, Iowa, Wisconsin, and the Smokies, I spent a full week where these images were taken before slow-traveling through Texas to the Borderlands, where I spent seventeen weeks.

padrens_1075-1000.jpg
Just after arriving on Padre. You can barely see my bike around the front of the van. I had it out to scout further down the beach before choosing a place to set up.

padrens_1145-1000.jpg
Sunrise on the Gulf of Mexico from Padre. Beautiful view and sounds to wake up to in the rooftop tent.
Windy, salty, humid, and messes with your gear. Was so humid a couple days my awning would drip constantly though there had been no rain.

padresns_1779-1000.JPG
Dawn on my full set up but for chairs and table, which are usually centered out front just under awning's edge.
The steady breeze from the Gulf felt wonderful and kept the awning billowed.