Investor

Creator III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Wow. Cameras, lenses, software. whats that level below green horn? that's were I am at. I been using this old thing called a phone. I just started using a dash cam and selfies. I got some cathing up to do. thanks for mentioning the names of these things.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hey all!

Rough cut and lots of tests. It was a very educational day! Glad to answer questions!

OK, in the video I mentioned I would break down some of the gear I use.

I edit on a PC, Adobe Premier, Lightroom, Photoshop, Audition.

Main Camera:

Canon 5D Mk IV (Slow Motion, outside selfies, stable shots)
Lenses:
  • Minota Rokkor PG MX 1.4f Lens (adapted to Canon)
  • Canon 70-105mm 4.0f
iPhone 7 Plus (internal car selfies, stablizer moving shots)
Osmo Mobile Steady Cam
Rode mic for Canon

Happy to answer questions below!
Thanks for sharing...did I miss a follow-up video on the how the BFGs performed on the road trip? I tried my hand at video editing.....didn't work out so well. LOL Now my wife takes the videos on her iPhone and edits them on the iPhone..... she is much more talented than me.... :sunglasses: Guess I'll stick to packing and driving.

Reactions: nickburt

Aussie571

Local Expert, Australia NSW

Builder II

Hillvue NSW, Australia
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Altona
Member #

Hey all!

Rough cut and lots of tests. It was a very educational day! Glad to answer questions!

OK, in the video I mentioned I would break down some of the gear I use.

I edit on a PC, Adobe Premier, Lightroom, Photoshop, Audition.

Main Camera:

Canon 5D Mk IV (Slow Motion, outside selfies, stable shots)
Lenses:
  • Minota Rokkor PG MX 1.4f Lens (adapted to Canon)
  • Canon 70-105mm 4.0f
iPhone 7 Plus (internal car selfies, stablizer moving shots)
Osmo Mobile Steady Cam
Rode mic for Canon

Happy to answer questions below!
Great work ...looking forward to more vids Michael...I'm familiar with Photoshop...Premier....so certainly appreciate the work you do!

Sent from my SM-T580 using OB Talk mobile app

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I can say that they seemed pretty sticky in the water. Both Corrie and I both thought the stopping distance was shorter. Really hard to tell though - hard to know for sure unless you measure. Will definitely let you know long term. They are about to get a beating over the next few months!
How's the long term review going?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have used BFG since 1999. The BFG muds were the first 2 sets on a f150. Once I went to a 2500 HD (4x4) in 2001, i have continuously used the KO 2 AT on my subsequent trucks. I got usually 43,000-48,000 miles with rotations. Did a lot of reviews, and almost went with Cooper, but ultimately went with the TOYO AT. I got a fantastic price for 5, at under $184 a piece. This was way below what a new set of BFG's were.
In the last year, those new KO3's have received rave reviews, but their retail MSRP also reflects that popularity.
I hope the Toyos will get close to the 50,000 mile warranty. They have a good following and some on the forum here also use them.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I'm interested to know what you think of those tires, Michael. Always appreciate it when companies get "real" people to test their equipment outside of laboratory settings. Good for the consumer, and good for them.

As a photographer who has used all manner of gear - everything from 16mm Bolex movie cameras to a Sony A7R, to a Linhof 4x5, the 5D MkIV and MkIII are both solid cameras, and in my opinion some of the best Canon has ever built!

For us overlanders, where space and weight is often at a premium, I can't recommend adapted lenses enough. There are a lot of situations where autofocus just isn't necessary (e.g. landscapes, photographing stationary objects). Manual focus lenses are often much smaller, oftentimes lighter, have better build quality (all metal construction) and if multicoated, usually at least as good if not better than modern autofocus counterparts. (You can determine if the lens is multicoated by looking at reflections on the lens - if there are 2 or more colours, it's multicoated).

You can get some very good classic lenses for little money on eBay if you know what to look for (just make sure there's an adapter out there that'll fit them. If you're buying from eBay, I've found Japanese sellers with lots of feedback to be the safest bet; good prices, and the quality advertised is the quality you get. KEH, online but based in Smyrna, Georgia, USA, is also a great option.

Manual Nikon lenses fit digital Nikons as well as Canons when an adapter is used. If you want something a bit pricier, but with phenomenal quality Leica R-series lenses are the best in my opinion! For inexpensive yet quality glass (often made by Zeiss!) M42-mount lenses can't be beat. These will mount on Canon DSLRs, and there are hundreds if not thousands to choose from. It's a standard mount used by a bunch of different manufacturers. If you're really into adapting lenses, Sony mirrorless cameras can take virtually anything out there. I also like them because the bodies are smaller; I keep my A7R stuffed in the glovebox.

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses.html is a great site for objectively comparing different lenses!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I'm interested to know what you think of those tires, Michael. Always appreciate it when companies get "real" people to test their equipment outside of laboratory settings. Good for the consumer, and good for them.

As a photographer who has used all manner of gear - everything from 16mm Bolex movie cameras to a Sony A7R, to a Linhof 4x5, the 5D MkIV and MkIII are both solid cameras, and in my opinion some of the best Canon has ever built!

For us overlanders, where space and weight is often at a premium, I can't recommend adapted lenses enough. There are a lot of situations where autofocus just isn't necessary (e.g. landscapes, photographing stationary objects). Manual focus lenses are often much smaller, oftentimes lighter, have better build quality (all metal construction) and if multicoated, usually at least as good if not better than modern autofocus counterparts. (You can determine if the lens is multicoated by looking at reflections on the lens - if there are 2 or more colours, it's multicoated).

You can get some very good classic lenses for little money on eBay if you know what to look for (just make sure there's an adapter out there that'll fit them. If you're buying from eBay, I've found Japanese sellers with lots of feedback to be the safest bet; good prices, and the quality advertised is the quality you get. KEH, online but based in Smyrna, Georgia, USA, is also a great option.

Manual Nikon lenses fit digital Nikons as well as Canons when an adapter is used. If you want something a bit pricier, but with phenomenal quality Leica R-series lenses are the best in my opinion! For inexpensive yet quality glass (often made by Zeiss!) M42-mount lenses can't be beat. These will mount on Canon DSLRs, and there are hundreds if not thousands to choose from. It's a standard mount used by a bunch of different manufacturers. If you're really into adapting lenses, Sony mirrorless cameras can take virtually anything out there. I also like them because the bodies are smaller; I keep my A7R stuffed in the glovebox.

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses.html is a great site for objectively comparing different lenses!
We need some KO3 UPDATE REVIEWS. Michel with your driving history..what is your continuing input, now that you have some mileage on them?

For others, if you have them....please chime in.

Balance issues....mounting(How much balance wt.)...staying in balance

Tread issues...chunking?
Punctures
Heat cracking/checking (Probably too early in tire roll out)
Traction and self cleaning
Stone/gravel tread pickup
Mileage wear issues...soft?

I'm sure many of us would like some input on the most popular off-road tire out there. For their price you would hope they get a checkmark for a great tire in all catogories.

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

I can say that they seemed pretty sticky in the water. Both Corrie and I both thought the stopping distance was shorter. Really hard to tell though - hard to know for sure unless you measure. Will definitely let you know long term. They are about to get a beating over the next few months!
[/QUOT
First have to stop DROOLING over those tires! Coming up on needing a new set on my rig this summer(?) & planning on BFG AT's. Very interested to see how your new MT tires do on the road treadwear wise, since my rig is my daily driver.