First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all!

Rough cut and lots of tests. It was a very educational day! Glad to answer questions!

OK, in the video I mentioned I would break down some of the gear I use.

I edit on a PC, Adobe Premier, Lightroom, Photoshop, Audition.

Main Camera:

Canon 5D Mk IV (Slow Motion, outside selfies, stable shots)
Lenses:
  • Minota Rokkor PG MX 1.4f Lens (adapted to Canon)
  • Canon 70-105mm 4.0f
iPhone 7 Plus (internal car selfies, stablizer moving shots)
Osmo Mobile Steady Cam
Rode mic for Canon

Happy to answer questions below!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Why did you go with a Canon camera and not a Nikon or Sony one?
I grew up with Canon, so I know the interface. For me, usability and capability are a constant tug-o-war with cameras. I have watched some reviews, and the arguments go back and forth. in the end, Canon still has the speed of interface, weather resistance, and durability I prefer. Growing up with them, definitely the kicker.

M

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Will be watching with interest to see how you get on the the new BFGs - one of my rigs will coming up for some new rubber next year and I've always run BFGs, both ATs and MTs depending on the trip and likely use etc...

Love how the Canon vs Nikon always finds a way into discussions about photography. I also use Canon and have done for exactly the same reason.
Bit like the banter about Jap vs LR here in the UK ..... :smileycat:
Each has it's own merits, good and bad ......
Iphonography is a real deal, the cameras are awesome. A pro friend of mine has done some great paid work with an Iphone and people don't believe the shots came off a 'phone!! Although his weapon of choice is a Sony (someone has to :joycat:).
Adobe products for me - guess you have an Adobe CC account?

Reactions: Michael

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Hey!

I use a Sony! :P

Am on my 5th Sony Alpha since december 2010. ;)

I'll stick with my Sony A77/Sigma 150-500 combo as it just keeps working.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

He's just bough the new A7RIII and yet another lens (a 24-70GM).

someone has to ......... :joycat::tearsofjoy:

Anyway how are you getting on with those new tyres (English spelling :sunglasses:) @Michael ??

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I'm anxious to see your thoughts on the new tires. Long-term for sure, but how they fair up over the KM2's. Not sure how much you can tell us just yet
I can say that they seemed pretty sticky in the water. Both Corrie and I both thought the stopping distance was shorter. Really hard to tell though - hard to know for sure unless you measure. Will definitely let you know long term. They are about to get a beating over the next few months!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Will be watching with interest to see how you get on the the new BFGs - one of my rigs will coming up for some new rubber next year and I've always run BFGs, both ATs and MTs depending on the trip and likely use etc...

Love how the Canon vs Nikon always finds a way into discussions about photography. I also use Canon and have done for exactly the same reason.
Bit like the banter about Jap vs LR here in the UK ..... :smileycat:
Each has it's own merits, good and bad ......
Iphonography is a real deal, the cameras are awesome. A pro friend of mine has done some great paid work with an Iphone and people don't believe the shots came off a 'phone!! Although his weapon of choice is a Sony (someone has to :joycat:).
Adobe products for me - guess you have an Adobe CC account?
Yup Adobe Suite - I understand the arguments about buying and owning software, but I thought the subscription for the suite was the best thing they ever did. Premiere is no joke with the Lumetri color tools. I agree about iPhone too. The 4k out of the box is very nice. We hook that up to the Osmo and get very good results.

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
He's just bough the new A7RIII and yet another lens (a 24-70GM).

someone has to ......... :joycat::tearsofjoy:

Anyway how are you getting on with those new tyres (English spelling :sunglasses:) @Michael ??
So far I really like the tyres! The parking lot next to the theatre last night was wet, and they did great! :p

Reactions: T.Shack and SLO Rob

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Back in the '70s and '80s in my pre-autofocus days I ran a series of Minolta bodies and Rocker lenses. They were way underrated when compared to the more expensive brands. Marketing and lens giveaways to sports and nature photographers were Canon and Nikon's forte.

I had a Rokkor 50mm f/1.2 lens that was just wonderful for low light conditions. But even better was the Rokkor 85mm f/1.7. Perfect for portrait, short tele shots, and just fantastic feel and sharpness. If you stumble on one cheap, give it a try.

My Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 and 85mm f/1.4 are better lenses, but cost substantially more.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Awesome Steve, thanks for the pro-tips. I will keep an eye out for them. These lenses are GREAT when married to the Canon 5D video capabilities.

M

Andrew A.

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fullerton, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6KRF
I love your videos!

I might suggest trying out a 35mm lens for your 5d. I think most brands make at least one, and some are very fast at f1.4.
I think that 35mm would be a pretty useful focal length for your purposes, especially on your rig walk around videos, and should be really great as a run and gun setup with your full frame sensor.

It's just wide enough that at normal-personal-space distance with other people or subjects, you can still cover the subject and context. It's also not so wide that there's crazy distortions and exaggerations happening in the corners, nor does it really "bulb" people's faces unless you're very close to them (invading their personal space really). Some of the faster and higher quality ones also offer very nice bokeh, even at a distance from the subject. Also, the wider angle is better at minimizing shake from handheld shots as well.

A late model 5d with a canon 35mm 1.4 (with lens filter) is also a very rugged combination. I'll shoot in snow and rain pours, with no time to worry about trash bags covering the camera or lens, and have done it countless times with no ill effect whatsoever. A great pairing for the 35mm length would be something around the 70 to 100mm range, like an 85mm, but you already have that covered with your 70-105.

Just a thought!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I love your videos!

I might suggest trying out a 35mm lens for your 5d. I think most brands make at least one, and some are very fast at f1.4.
I think that 35mm would be a pretty useful focal length for your purposes, especially on your rig walk around videos, and should be really great as a run and gun setup with your full frame sensor.

It's just wide enough that at normal-personal-space distance with other people or subjects, you can still cover the subject and context. It's also not so wide that there's crazy distortions and exaggerations happening in the corners, nor does it really "bulb" people's faces unless you're very close to them (invading their personal space really). Some of the faster and higher quality ones also offer very nice bokeh, even at a distance from the subject. Also, the wider angle is better at minimizing shake from handheld shots as well.

A late model 5d with a canon 35mm 1.4 (with lens filter) is also a very rugged combination. I'll shoot in snow and rain pours, with no time to worry about trash bags covering the camera or lens, and have done it countless times with no ill effect whatsoever. A great pairing for the 35mm length would be something around the 70 to 100mm range, like an 85mm, but you already have that covered with your 70-105.

Just a thought!
Awesome! Thank you for these notes! Do you shoot video or pics? Always love looking at work! I'll take a look at some 35mm. You have any favs?

Best,

M

Andrew A.

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fullerton, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6KRF
No prob! :D
I do both video and pics; professionally I do mainly wedding videography but also do weddings and family photography.
In my off-time, I'm usually pretty burnt out with videography (and all of the extra stuff/gear the comes with it), so I'm mostly doing stills for our family trips and such.
Not overland related at all, but you can see some samples of my video work here.

I guess my favorite would be the one that I have and use haha. It's the Canon 35mm 1.4 mkii. The mark I version is also very highly regarded (and weather sealed as well), and cheaper now that the mk ii exists.

I know that there's a lot of different lenses and cameras out there to choose from, and a lot of people tend to really get into the gear.
In all honesty though, I think that the best gear is simply the one that provides quality images, is quick to start up and operate, and is highly reliable through unpredictable environments.

The Canon 35mm is not a special vintage or anything cool like that, and the 5d iii or iv, though extremely nice, is not really the cutting edge tech ridden kind of camera.
BUT this combo is bullet proof/reliable, extremely fast to operate, and delivers exceptional quality. If i'd speak of it in overlanding terms, I'd consider the 5d and Canon L glass to be like the big, heavy, and simple but reliable and capable Land Cruiser of cameras. The 1Dx might be.. a Unimog? Lol. Your camera is an absolute workhorse that can be abused, and I think it's fitting to use a lens that is equally built. On a paid shoot, at least, I just don't have the time to mess with gear issues.

Reactions: Phil C

Phil C

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chicago
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Crisologo
Member #

x2 on the 35mm and Full Frame combo! I recently upgraded from crop sensor 7D to a 6D+Sigma 35mm 1.4 and it is my favorite combination for everyday and wedding shoots. I also mated my mom's old 35 2.8 and 50 1.4 Rokkor lenses to the 6D and it's such a fun combination.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
Hey all!

Rough cut and lots of tests. It was a very educational day! Glad to answer questions!

OK, in the video I mentioned I would break down some of the gear I use.

I edit on a PC, Adobe Premier, Lightroom, Photoshop, Audition.

Main Camera:

Canon 5D Mk IV (Slow Motion, outside selfies, stable shots)
Lenses:
  • Minota Rokkor PG MX 1.4f Lens (adapted to Canon)
  • Canon 70-105mm 4.0f
iPhone 7 Plus (internal car selfies, stablizer moving shots)
Osmo Mobile Steady Cam
Rode mic for Canon

Happy to answer questions below!
Another GREAT video!
You should be making Movies and getting Oscars

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

It doesn’t matter what you shoot with![emoji2]

I’ve done a fair share of movies making and use/have used the following equipment:

iPhone 4
iPhone 5s
iPhone 7
iPad Air
GoPro Hero 5 Session
Canon T4i
Canon 6D
Canon 77D
Tamron 17-50, f2.8
Sigma 50-150, f2.8
Canon 70-200, f4
Canon 24-105, f4
Tamron 85, f1.8
Canon 50, f1.8

I’ve coupled my iPhone 7 to a Smooth Q gimbal and it’s unbelievably fantastic, often shooting at 1080, 60 fps. Also have rigged it to hold GoPro. Amazing little device.

As for software, I’m a Mac guy, so...

Mac Pro, 6 core, 3.4 GHz, 64 gigs RAM
iMovie
Final Cut

Make some custom slates upon occasion using Graphic.

And for just stills, mostly use Aperture, but will use Lightroom and Photoshop one in awhile.

I have to chuckle, Michael...maybe cuz your a software developer and feel more comfortable with it, but I really don’t like cloud-based software. I like it in MY system. And my work on MY system. I don’t know why, just can’t bring myself to cloud-based. But, regardless, as long as we enjoy what we do, can’t be wrong!

Anyway, great videos! I’d like to see more slow-motion, dramatic effects, though[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: RickLB