Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Merrimack, NH, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Leone
Member #

Hey All, New here and to overlanding in general. I'm in Merrimack. The best resource for Class vi roads is a gazetteer map (What I've seen so far.). Everything else seems to be by tribal knowledge. Also, check out exploringNH.com. They have a pretty active events page during the season and once you've been out on one of their events, you can get access to their maps data.

Reactions: slowrider

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Just joined! Auburn!

Guys, we need a meet up! Then a planned run!
Goldenrods Restaurant has the room and parking lot (decent food as well) to meet at. Once the snow leaves, a run should be planned. I do like my easy run in the backside of Pawtuckaway State Park. Those wanting a bumpy ride, I'd have to see if we can still get into Purgatory Falls in Mont Vernon (been 20yrs since I've been). Open to other suggestions of course.

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Just joined! Auburn!

Guys, we need a meet up! Then a planned run!
Goldenrods Restaurant has the room and parking lot (decent food as well) to meet at. Once the snow leaves, a run should be planned. I do like my easy run in the backside of Pawtuckaway State Park. Those wanting a bumpy ride, I'd have to see if we can still get into Purgatory Falls in Mont Vernon (been 20yrs since I've been). Open to other suggestions of course.
Northeast Adventure Company is doing a meet and greet on March 7th 1400-1900 at the Cisco Brewery in Portsmouth. Don't know how many of us will be there. I am planning to.

tonyl11

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Merrimack, NH, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Leone
Member #

Nice! I was going to mention the NAC meet up. I can't be at that one but I'm signed up for a few of their trips this year (Sept/Oct). I'm in Merrimack, So totally down for some Patuckaway exploring or other options in the area. Also, check out exploringNH.com. They seem to have an active community of locals that put on ad hoc day trips/outings. The other thing is the NAC crew will also do a "custom" event. If we have enough interest, I can see what Ben or Chris would charge (I assume a 10 vehicle min.) and they would scout and build a trip based on our criteria.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Nice! I was going to mention the NAC meet up. I can't be at that one but I'm signed up for a few of their trips this year (Sept/Oct). I'm in Merrimack, So totally down for some Patuckaway exploring or other options in the area. Also, check out exploringNH.com. They seem to have an active community of locals that put on ad hoc day trips/outings. The other thing is the NAC crew will also do a "custom" event. If we have enough interest, I can see what Ben or Chris would charge (I assume a 10 vehicle min.) and they would scout and build a trip based on our criteria.
I've looked at them a few times and get they making a business out of this.. but.. Let's meet up and discuss.

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

Any NH guys know of any off grid camping spots?

I'm trying to work on a list of good spots that can be shared...w/o charging

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Any NH guys know of any off grid camping spots?

I'm trying to work on a list of good spots that can be shared...w/o charging
Three that are fairly known, one other is now pay-to-stay. Rt3 before Twin Mountain is Gale River Campground. As rustic as rustic gets! Haystack Road just a little further up has less spots (as I remember) and just as rustic. Further along Rt 302 is Cherry Mountain Road. A hand full of sites out there and again, very rustic.

I have a couple I'd prefer don't get published anywhere. I do bring folks to them and they see why I keep them on the down-low. One is private land and I have permission, the other is of uncertain ownership.. I believe the Town or State.

Reactions: MeHere!

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

Three that are fairly known, one other is now pay-to-stay. Rt3 before Twin Mountain is Gale River Campground. As rustic as rustic gets! Haystack Road just a little further up has less spots (as I remember) and just as rustic. Further along Rt 302 is Cherry Mountain Road. A hand full of sites out there and again, very rustic.

I have a couple I'd prefer don't get published anywhere. I do bring folks to them and they see why I keep them on the down-low. One is private land and I have permission, the other is of uncertain ownership.. I believe the Town or State.
Yeah I def don't want to publish anything that is private or possibly private, but those off the beaten path spots...rig is nearly set and gear wants to be loaded...Spring can't get here fast enough!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Yeah I def don't want to publish anything that is private or possibly private, but those off the beaten path spots...rig is nearly set and gear wants to be loaded...Spring can't get here fast enough!
Those 3 are fine for what your doing. Please do send me a link to the list when done.

Reactions: MeHere!

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
Posted a quick message on the Facebook thread about my desire to do a meet and greet in the central part of the state next month. I would like to do this at a brewery/restaurant in Meridith. I would have to approach the business about a group hanging out in their lot for a bit and then see how they feel about it, so I just want to gauge interest and maybe get an idea of numbers that might be attending. I have no desire to pay anyone to take me wheeling or overlanding so I am not sure that I will be attending the Portsmouth sales pitch. Most of the trails around the state are either closed now or will be shortly due to mud and or snow conditions so I don't anticipate adding a trail ride component at this time. Perhaps we could do something once everything dries out. I have been wanting to do something like this for a while but figured I should wait till after the holidays, so here we are. Feel free to PM me through FB or respond here, apparently, something is wrong with the taptalk app so I haven't been able to use the forum on my phone.

Reactions: Jonnyr