CA increased gas / reg taxes: Prop 6

• HTML tutorial

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
So why should I vote on prop6? New tax that was added last year to gas and reg, because all of the other gas taxes got ear marked for something not related to road maintenance. So instead of fixing the ear marking issue, a new additional tax was added last year, but without being voted on? Prop 6 would reverse this new tax and prevent new gas taxs like it being enacted without voting on it? Am I missing anything other than we’re already taxed for roadways, but decided to divert those funds and just tax the people more?

Last edited:

distelbaja

Rank 0

Contributor I

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-borenstein-gas-tax-and-mystery-surcharge-20181011-story.html
So why should I vote NO on prop6? New tax that was added last year to gas and reg, because all of the other gas taxes got ear marked for something not related to road maintenance. So instead of fixing the ear marking issue, a new additional tax was added last year, but without being voted on? Prop 6 would reverse this new tax and prevent new gas taxs like it being enacted without voting on it? Am I missing anything other than we’re already taxed for roadways, but decided to divert those funds and just tax the people more?
food for thought

Reactions: DesertFox

Daglio

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Jose, Ca.
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Green
Member #

Don't forget your vehicle registration also increased! Vote YES on 6!

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

I voted yes. If the roads are in such bad shape then why are they spending billions on highspeed rail. If they want to improve the rail lines then build a line that goes directly to LAX. It is ridiculous that LA has an international airport without rail service. A better use of money is to connect the LA area airports to metro build a highspeed rail between LA and San Diego, allow people to fly fast and cheap from LA to the Bay Area, and create a highspeed rail from the Bay Area to Sacramento. Just my two cents. AND VOTE YES

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
Pretty sure this is not the medium for such discussions.
Most of our rigs don’t run on electricity yet, so gas prices have a significant impact on our sport. People here may not normally follow issues like this, but it directly impacts them. It’s small (relative) groups like this that create that grass roots change. Knowing this, is there a better medium to discuss this issue directly with overlanders?

Reactions: WrightRunner

Megadoomer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

N32°55'31.94",W117°05'20.21"
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Rossi
Member #

Most of our rigs don’t run on electricity yet, so gas prices have a significant impact on our sport. People here may not normally follow issues like this, but it directly impacts them. It’s small (relative) groups like this that create that grass roots change. Knowing this, is there a better medium to discuss this issue directly with overlanders?
That is a fair point. However, you could correlate any political candidate or measure to what we do with our vehicles or on our spare time. The problem is politics always has at least two sides which would then create division among the people and that is the exact opposite of what this forum is supposed to do.

I for one will not vote yes. I work in capital projects and this will keep me and thousands of other Californians working.

You have been paying this tax for a year and I'm willing to bet you didn't reduce your trips because gas at all.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Count your blessings
I do....

I don't live in CA yet I've had to read up on the State's budgetary spending in the past. It stymies me just how much money gets spent there on a variety of things that don't benefit the State as a whole - such as the streets. Yet the money just runs through the State as if it were a sieve.

Yes, I know, each and every State has similar issues, yet CA is incredibly high in this area.

In the last half of 2017 several financial groups, such as Market Watch, USGS, Yrban Institute and such all came to the same basic conclusion -

"California, with its suffocating cost of living and huge population, is home to an inordinate number of households receiving public assistance. In fact, with $103 billion going toward welfare, the Golden State's spending on the financially needy is more than the next two on the list combined."

Just saying.

Last edited:

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Most of our rigs don’t run on electricity yet, so gas prices have a significant impact on our sport.
I love how individuals and groups proclaim that we NEED/MUST convert all vehicles over to electricity - it's better for the environment.

Yet these people do not point out that until a better, more efficient way to generate the electricity is established electrical cars do their fair share to harm the environment.

Currently solar, wind and hydroelectric systems just don't cut it. Coal fired plants are necessary to provide the electricity.

Another aspect they don't mention is the lithium used in the batteries. Lithium mining has a huge, negative impact on the environment. Then one must deal with the mining it takes to get the rare earth metals for electronics and batteries; it's also bad for the environment.

Just saying.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
OMG people who think like me.....
going to have to stay out of this one. don't want to do a 2 page rant.......

Scott

Reactions: Correus

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I voted yes. If the roads are in such bad shape then why are they spending billions on highspeed rail
Ok just this one.
We really haven't spent the 12 billion the feds gave us. The first 7 billion sort of "disappeared", the other 5 has been used for research and keep the construction company on retainer. That's why we need the fuel and auto part's tax. See it all makes sense now.

Scott

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Ok just this one.
We really haven't spent the 12 billion the feds gave us. The first 7 billion sort of "disappeared", the other 5 has been used for research and keep the construction company on retainer. That's why we need the fuel and auto part's tax. See it all makes sense now.

Scott
I wish I had 7 billion just to disappear...