Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I didn't have a tundra but a sequoia, service the trans , change the belts and fluids , check the dealer for recalls , and make sure the t belt is up to date

jvalex

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Asheville, North Carolina
First Name
Jess
Last Name
A.
Did my homework on all that last night when I saw it; the rust looked super minimal and dealership said it didn’t qualify for recall. Lucky there. I did make an appointment with the local dealership in their area on Saturday just to have it looked over. Belts done at 125k, it only has 140k on truck. Both exhaust manifolds replaced at 100k - that made me squint a bit so I’ll be looking into that more.

jvalex

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Jess
Last Name
A.
2001! $7500. I live in the mountains so 4wd trucks, you pay a bit of a premium on. It was bought new and then sold to son in law; sat untouched for years as he’s a now retired cop and had ye olde Crown Vic to drive. I’m pretty stoked.

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

jvalex

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Jess
Last Name
A.
Doesn’t matter as he sold it out from under me as I was in the damn bank getting the money out. I have choice words I will spare him of.

Thoughts on Sequoia? I am super bummed; this truck was just what I wanted and there is absolutely nothing comparable price mileage and maintenance wise in this area.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I really enjoyed mine , the 5 speed auto and the 4.7 where a good combo and even with heavy 255/85 I was still able to squeeze 17 mpg on a good day . 00505_fopOZVmVAqQ_600x450.jpg

jvalex

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Jess
Last Name
A.
Also considering a 2001 5 speed 4wd RAV4 - but I hate smaller vehicles. But I do a lot of driving and can sacrifice on hobby right now. It would be half the price, too.

jvalex

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Jess
Last Name
A.
I ditched a Forester AND an Outback. I don’t do Subaru. I hate the issues they seem to all have mechanically. But... they are fun.

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Sorry to hear the deal fell through, buying vehicles can be a real hassle. Chalk it up to it not being meant to be.

I would toss a vote in for a 98-02 4runner limited in that price range (locking rear diff, 3.4, Toyota... etc.).

Let us know what happens.

jvalex

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Jess
Last Name
A.
A good vote as it was what I was originally looking for but they are ridiculously overpriced or totally ratty around here. We’ll see.

NOMAD5326

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Absolutely love mine (2nd Gen 2012 DC). 2nd Gen doesn't have a locker (open differential but easy to add) but other than that and ONLY that, I'd call it a winner. I wish Toyota would have made the GEN3 Sequoia in the same lines as the GEN3 Tundra. Great handling, seating, ergonomics, power and tank-like performance over anything it touches.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I guess the biggest question what are your needs for a vehicle ? Room , mpg , offroad ability . Just about anything can be used as a "overland " rig . Have to make sure it fits your daily life more then your weekend playing if it's your main mode of transportation

jvalex

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Jess
Last Name
A.
Of course and that’s being considered here. I passed on a sweet little truck today because it didn’t fit the daily driver part of my life.

I mean really I drove the LX470 daily even with terrible gas mileage; I can make lower fuel efficiency work financially. The RAV4 would be an economic choice but god damn it I hate the ride / drive feel.

jvalex

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Jess
Last Name
A.
I keep eyeballing a Sequoia and I think I’m going to check it out even if it wasn’t my first choice. Same year and mileage. I do like having the extra space - four year old kid and two older dogs deserve some comfort. A little more money but they need to be talked down; they don’t hold their value like the Tundra does.

Reactions: NOMAD5326