• HTML tutorial

jackfive

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pomona, CA
Member #

Hello,

This would be my first run with you all and I don’t have off road tires. I drive a 2017 Tacoma and it is a 4wd but the tires are stock. Would this not be the run for me till I get all terrain tires? Thanks Lisa
You should be fine, you might have to choose your line but I believe those come with All Terrains so not totally a street tire. You might just have to give it a little more skinny pedal ;)
Thanks for the input. I look forward to meeting you all. Lisa

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Woot I am going! Debating if I should bring my montero or rengade!
Whichever you want to get dirty. I think there will be another Montero joining as well if that matters :)

Mark14138

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Joshua Tree
Member #

Frank if you get a cancellation please let me know - I live in Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley area and am new to the Overland Bound community. Be great first run.

Reactions: FrankRoams

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Frank if you get a cancellation please let me know - I live in Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley area and am new to the Overland Bound community. Be great first run.
I'll do my best. There likely will be, usually always is as things come up and people can't make it. Check the 48 hours before and see. I will try to notify you but I don't get alerts when people cancel.

Reactions: Mark14138

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
I'll be around even after the move, still have family down here so "I'll be back" visiting all the family and friends.
I want to get back out to the Ord Mountains to get into some of the mines out there but need to get some other people to be with. Last time I was there by myself I did not feel comfortable going into them alone.
@FrankRoams we should plan on a overnight trip out Old Dale Road in Joshua Tree when I get back and the weather cools down.
Great! Ooo! I will be on the lookout for this event in the Fall. Hope to see you at the September Meetup.

Liana Lehua | OB#8969
Southern California

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Anderson Design Fabrication’s 2” Lift
Yakima Load Warrior with Extension
Yakima Slim Shady Awning

Mark14138

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Joshua Tree
Member #

I'll do my best. There likely will be, usually always is as things come up and people can't make it. Check the 48 hours before and see. I will try to notify you but I don't get alerts when people cancel.
Will do - Thanks!

Auspicious Osprey

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anaheim, California
Member #

Looking like a great group going! Frank, do you want to suggest people thinking about getting inexpensive comms before going. Might be a good tool for the first timersMaybe GMRS? Always nice to know what’s going on between vehicles.

I can ride last and likely hit you with HAM in the front of the group. I’m running a handheld with external antenna. I’ve got CB backup and think I have a GMRS too. Can get one if not.

Reactions: Liana Lehua

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Looking like a great group going! Frank, do you want to suggest people thinking about getting inexpensive comms before going. Might be a good tool for the first timersMaybe GMRS? Always nice to know what’s going on between vehicles.

I can ride last and likely hit you with HAM in the front of the group. I’m running a handheld with external antenna. I’ve got CB backup and think I have a GMRS too. Can get one if not.
Thank you for reminding me, this was on my list of things to do.
The ideal scenario is that everyone has a HAM radio. You can get one for $30 on Amazon. Link to Baofeng UV-5R + Whip antenna
You do need a license to transmit, but you do not need a license to listen or transmit in an emergency.

I am going to start doing ham comms only pretty soon as I think this is really the best way to go and gives the best range and clearest comms. It also offers emergency comms by access of repeaters. with a simple $15-30 12" mag mount antenna you can greatly extend your range! This is what I will be using on the trail.

That being said I will run 2 comms, this is likely the last time that I will.
Primary: HAM SIMPLEX - 146.500
Secondary: CB - Channel 16 (could change depending on radio traffic)

• I have an 1 extra Ham radio, it's a baofeng UV-5R+
  • If you are going to buy one I recommend either the baofeng listed above with whip antenna or the Yeasu FT60R with whip antenna. The yeasu is $175 It's a great radio and super easy to use but only if you're going to stick with it. It's what I use.
  • Link to baofeng compatible mag mount antenna (I think HRO has these for $30 if you live near one)
  • If you want to get a CB Radio, this is an easy plug and play - Midland CB

Last edited:

csilv

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Ana, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Silverberg
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6IOS
I am going to start doing ham comms only pretty soon as I think this is really the best way to go and gives the best range and clearest comms. It also offers emergency comms by access of repeaters. with a simple $15-30 12" mag mount antenna you can greatly extend your range! This is what I will be using on the trail.
Thanks for the recommendations and links.

I have CB installed and handheld HAM (Baofeng BF-F9 V2+), although I am not yet licensed. I will get licensed though, just received my Gordon West book yesterday.... I have a lot to learn, but looking forward to the journey!

Reactions: FrankRoams

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Fe
Thanks for the recommendations and links.

I have CB installed and handheld HAM (Baofeng BF-F9 V2+), although I am not yet licensed. I will get licensed though, just received my Gordon West book yesterday.... I have a lot to learn, but looking forward to the journey!
Awesome. It's pretty fun and can get pretty interesting when you start playing APRS GPS stuff. It's super useful off road and off grid.

Tw0leftskis

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

South OC
Member #

count me in on the burns trail run. wheres the meet up location? I'm in Laguna Niguel. I have a spare baofeng to loan

Last edited: