Burns Canyon, Big Bear, CA - 06/23/2018

• HTML tutorial

Stuck-on-Rovers

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose Ca
Member #

I am a new member and this would be my first run. I am headed down to Apple Valley area from San Jose for a week of work. Would you recommend this trip knowing it would be my first OB trip?
Keith

Reactions: 395 expeditions

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
That's the end. I hit the 10fwy and head home from there. I know some are already talking about heading back to Big Bear, that is certainly an option for those who are staying in BB or just want to do it again.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I am a new member and this would be my first run. I am headed down to Apple Valley area from San Jose for a week of work. Would you recommend this trip knowing it would be my first OB trip?
Keith
I think this would be a great trip for you, as long as you have a 4x4 and some good tires. The trail is easy and very scenic. Great way to meet some people and see the Socal Landscape from mountain to desert.

Stuck-on-Rovers

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose Ca
Member #

I will be heading down to the Apple Valley area for a week of work but am thinking of driving down with
I think this would be a great trip for you, as long as you have a 4x4 and some good tires. The trail is easy and very scenic. Great way to meet some people and see the Socal Landscape from mountain to desert.
I
I have those things! Would love to get out there. Hope to see you at the rally point. (point #1 or #2 on the map)?

Reactions: Liana Lehua

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
Lianna you should be fine in the Subi. There are off shoot trails that are more difficult but the main trail should be fine for you.
Thank you @Terry Pickens. Hoping I get a run in with you before you move. Have a great trip. Looking forward to your shares when Internet available.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

jackfive

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pomona, CA
Member #

Hello,

This would be my first run with you all and I don’t have off road tires. I drive a 2017 Tacoma and it is a 4wd but the tires are stock. Would this not be the run for me till I get all terrain tires? Thanks Lisa

Last edited:

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Thank you @Terry Pickens. Hoping I get a run in with you before you move. Have a great trip. Looking forward to your shares when Internet available.
I'll be around even after the move, still have family down here so "I'll be back" visiting all the family and friends.
I want to get back out to the Ord Mountains to get into some of the mines out there but need to get some other people to be with. Last time I was there by myself I did not feel comfortable going into them alone.
@FrankRoams we should plan on a overnight trip out Old Dale Road in Joshua Tree when I get back and the weather cools down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liana Lehua

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Hello,

This would be my first run with you all and I don’t have off road tires. I drive a 2017 Tacoma and it is a 4wd but the tires are stock. Would this not be the run for me till I get all terrain tires? Thanks Lisa
I think you should be fine but someone else please chime in here. My son did it in a stock 1st Gen 4-runner with AT's and was fine. I do not think he even engaged 4-wheel drive on the main trail.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I will be heading down to the Apple Valley area for a week of work but am thinking of driving down with
I
I have those things! Would love to get out there. Hope to see you at the rally point. (point #1 or #2 on the map)?
Point 1. Baldwin lake.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Hello,

You should be fine, you might have to choose your line but I believe those come with All Terrains so not totally a street tire. You might just have to give it a little more skinny pedal ;)