Bumper Install Questions

• HTML tutorial

Luc

Rank 0

Traveler I

CT/VT
Hey all, I'm looking to get an arb deluxe bumper with the winch mount for my land cruiser. I just had a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find answers for online, maybe you guys can help me out.

1. First and foremost, this may be stupid, but it's one of those I want to be sure before moving ahead, if I put the bumped on without the winch (to be purchased later) I can then re install the bumper at a later date, with the winch as well correct? I figure that I can drop the winch in when I can purchase it, but again, just wanted to be sure.

2. I've been warned against putting a big bumper off the front on stock springs, which is another thing I need to upgrade. The order isn't super important, whether it's springs and then bumper or vice versa, but I've heard fantastic things about every day protection the bumper affords so I really was looking hard at getting one on soon. Have any of you thrown a bumper on without beefier springs and if so have you had any problems??

Cheers,
Luc

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

How old are the springs? You can probably get away with just the bumper, but you'd want new springs before adding the weight of the winch for sure.

The new bumper should just bolt right onto the truck. Removal is the opposite of install. Add the winch when you have it and get an extra buddy to help with the re-install.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Welcome to the slippery slope of modding your truck!

Will new factory springs take the additional weight of the bumper and winch (probably not)? Are there HD factory springs available for the added weight?

Aftermarket springs will probably mean a lift. How much lift do I want?

Now I need springs for the rear.

If I'm doing the springs, why not the shocks?

Ok, I have this nice xx" lift, and now my tires look so small in the tire well. How big of a tire can I cram under there?

Oh, I might need steel wheels or spacers?

Well, with these bigger tires, I probably need stronger axles and cv's too.

Man with these stronger axles, I could go anywhere with lockers!

But I need to be sure I don't damage anything when I can go anywhere so I should add some armor to the list of equipment to buy...

Luc

Rank 0

Traveler I

CT/VT
@Disco2Guy beautiful yeah no thanks for the info. I'm looking at getting a 2" lift all the way around, heavy in the rear medium in the front and I ideally want to get 33s on there (have 31s now). the winch install sounds simple enough so that's great but yeah, it's a 91 with 215,000 on it so the springs definitely aren't new, I don't know what's been replaced and what hasn't so I'm kind of feeling it out. I definitely want the lift regardless so my main question now is whether or not the suspension can carry the bumper (no winch) for the next few months.

Luc

Rank 0

Traveler I

CT/VT
I'm leaning towards thinking it'll be okay having driven it and what not, but I definitely value other opinions