Build Thread: TheSkiingJeep (SEMA '17)

• HTML tutorial

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

Hey guys! So I've been working on TheSkiingJeep for a while now as an Overlanding build, and have stuck mostly to the Jeep forums and my own social media pages, but it is about time that I expanded out into the world a little bit more, learned some more, and reached a few more people with what we're all here to do in the first place, get out there!

So here is where I'll keep the majority of the updates for my build on this forum. Unfortunately, because I'm not the most punctual person, updates may be a bit delayed on the forums. If you'd like the most up-to-date action and news, please check out my Instagram page or Facebook page!

Social Media:
Instagram: www.Instagram.com/TheSkiingJeep
Facebook: www.Facebook.com/TheSkiingJeep

www.TheSkiingJeep.com

Current Build Sponsors:
OPT7 Lighting
Cooper Tires
Uneek4x4

Backstory: I was originally driving a Ford Expedition and was interested in alternating my vehicle experiences, so I found a pre-owned 2012 JGC Laredo with under 40,000 miles on it. Bluebook put it at 27,000 at time of my purchase, and sale price was 23,000, so I'm content with the deal.

This build is following the path of an overland theme. Not designed as a weekend ride, rock crawler, etc. This is my daily driver, and being built to go the places we love, camp in those places... To truly enjoy those places! Please enjoy :) Any comments, questions, etc are greatly appreciated!

Build Hyperlinks:

(I'll link to the individual post that I have build checkpoints on here!)

Trip Hyperlinks:

(I'll link to the individual post that I have written up a trip on here!)

Photo when I first purchased it(100% stock):

Completed Modification list:
Receiver replaced(with Pioneer AVH-4100NEX)
Dashcam Addition & wired through A pillar
Side air deflectors added
Hood air deflector added
Roof rack(GoRhino SR Rack) added
Front & Rear bumper guards added
Seat covers added(CoverKing black ballistic covers)
Grand Cherokee Sill Guards added(all 4 doors)
Lots 'O Stickers added
Gear added
Full sized spare tire with tire cover
Uneek4x4 Rock Rails
Black Oak LED setup(1 bar, 4 pods)
OEM Hitch Installed
Side paneling, window trim, and rear hatch plate are now blacked out.
Pro Series Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier
Axe & shovel mounted
Windows tinted
Side chrome panels removed
New wheels(XD129 Holeshot)
Rear dash cam added
Sport pedals installed
Husky Liners X-Art Contour floor liners added
Manual Temperature control replaced with Automatic
Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx 285/70R17 x5
SRT grill added to replace the chrome blob that was the original grill

Gear:
Traction boards(x2)
CTO V-grip heavy tire chains(x4)
Ice melt(x50lbs)
Lots of zip ties/cable ties
Lots of ratchet straps
Spare -40 degrees wiper fluid(x2)
Pair of black fuzzy Dice on rear view mirror
Shovel & axe on roof basket
3 - 50' lengths of tubular rescue webbing
SUV storage drawer system

Most Recent Photo:

In Progress:
Steel front bumper
Steel rear bumper
Custom fit roof rack

Planned:
- New Skid Plates?
- Exhaust install(likely custom)
- And More!

Last edited:

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

Found an automatic temp control that works in my jeep from a salvage yard:

And here's a picture of Kodiak, the official "Good Boy" of TheSkiingJeep lol

Tires are Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx 285/70-17 (Measured 32.99")

Reactions: Luis Merlo

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

Completed roof rack:

Completed front bumper:

Rear bumper is also complete, but I have some more changes I need to do back there before I share any photos.

As always, the best way to keep up to date with the build, is to follow me on instagram @TheSkiingJeep
If you don't have an instagram account, you can view the photos without needing an account at www.instagram.com/theskiingjeep

You can also view a collection of photos of my build, as well as product reviews, and more general information, including sponsors on my build website, which is updated more frequently than the forum threads I maintain.

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

Uneek4x4 front bumper, Uneek4x4 bash plate, Cooper S/T Maxx tires & slightly visible is the yellow Old Man Emu strut.

Uneek4x4 rear bumper

Bumper has a DRL halo on the outside. On the inside of the halo is solid amber that functions with indicators. On the inside of the bumper is the fog lamps. I'm considering replacing my main headlight housing with the projector setup from Winpower.

Sponsor lineup and vinyl side hashes(brushed black steel vinyl pattern. This is the same vinyl on the liftgate handle and hood. It's a directional "brushed" vinyl) as visible from this angle

Reactions: MBroenkow

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

Here's some stuff from my most recent adventure. I didn't get any photos during the more technical parts, and I didn't get to my dash cam footage in time to get that.

I do have some go-pro footage I'll try to use, but the perspective isn't the best. I do have a neat stream crossing on tape though.

Reactions: MBroenkow

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

New headlights have been installed! You can view the writeup, here:

Winpower headlight install writeup

Also, I have replaced the website!!!

You can view the new website, here:

www.theskiingoverlander.com

This website will also be the home to TheSkiingRam Power Wagon build in a few months.

If you'd like to keep up with every update, make sure you sign up for the mailing list(found at the bottom of every page):

For those of you not on Instagram, you can also keep up with the build by using the Instagram feed on the home page of the site, no sign-in required!

Instagram Feed(Shows the most recent 27 instagram posts):