Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

Trying to decide on whether it more economic to build wire harnesses rather than buying? Nilight has pretty decent deals on Amazon...

I have a couple pods a 20" bar and a 50" bar

artster63

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Justice, IL, USA
First Name
Art
Last Name
Lopez
Member #

I was just looking at Nilight last night. I like the ready made ease of install, but I got frustrated when I found a light bar @765W, supposedly, and could only find pre-assembled harnesses for 12Ga, which is like 450 or 500 watt max. I guess I'll have to build my own with 10Ga.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Trying to decide on whether it more economic to build wire harnesses rather than buying? Nilight has pretty decent deals on Amazon...

Personally I like building my own, that way they are to my specs and the wires run where I want them to. All the prefabricated harnesses I have ever used have either been too long or too short for what I had in mind. Then like @artster63 said, wrong gauge of wires.

Reactions: MeHere!

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

Personally I like building my own, that way they are to my specs and the wires run where I want them to. All the prefabricated harnesses I have ever used have either been too long or too short for what I had in mind. Then like @artster63 said, wrong gauge of wires.
That's the way I'm leaning, there may be a couple other things I need harnesses for...

Reactions: M Rose

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
When I build my looms, I commonly add in a couple of extra wires for when I add on something later. Saves time. I do the same when building fuse/relay panels.

Reactions: M Rose

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I've done both. My problem has been finding quality pre-built harnesses. Used to be you could find places that sold kits with all of the parts needed for a relay harness and you supplied the wires of the gauge / length needed for the application. Worked really well and often included high quality parts for less than I could track them down and buy them separately. I think DanielSternLighting still sells kits this way.

Boort

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If its for a light bar just buy it its much easier and cheaper you can get em on amazon like 14 bucks, if wiring a full custom loom for vehicle do it yourself or find someone experienced if you can wire. If not go to painless and tell em what you need.

Reactions: MeHere!

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

If its for a light bar just buy it its much easier and cheaper you can get em on amazon like 14 bucks, if wiring a full custom loom for vehicle do it yourself or find someone experienced if you can wire. If not go to painless and tell em what you need.
If I had just the one bar I probably would but have 4 and maybe two more pods

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If I had just the one bar I probably would but have 4 and maybe two more pods
How many watts/amps are you drawing most of the harnesses are 40a 480 watt id recommend puting each bar on a dedicated harness but if they are small bars you can do 2 per harness and make your own splitter put all the pods on 1 harness. I run my lights on 40a remote harnesses. Your probably not going to get a light bar that pulls more than 400watts and if it does it will come with the required harness, my 60" 3 row light bar on my ranger bumper only pulls 250w. Most of the led lights out there are way overrated when they tell you a high wattage thats what they are equivalent too not what they are gonna draw.

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

How many watts/amps are you drawing most of the harnesses are 40a 480 watt id recommend puting each bar on a dedicated harness but if they are small bars you can do 2 per harness and make your own splitter put all the pods on 1 harness. I run my lights on 40a remote harnesses. Your probably not going to get a light bar that pulls more than 400watts and if it does it will come with the required harness, my 60" 3 row light bar on my ranger bumper only pulls 250w. Most of the led lights out there are way overrated when they tell you a high wattage thats what they are equivalent too not what they are gonna draw.
Good to know!!! I just got my quote for sq metal tubing to build my roof rack...spring can't come fast enough!! thinking of mounting two pods to the rear of the rack, maybe a swivel base so can use at campsite at the rear or on the sides

The pods are 18W and the 20" is 126W, cannot recall the 50"