Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Tow ratings in US and Europe are totally different. But the exp-6 behind a savannah is for sure a good combo

Claminator

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Conner, WA
First Name
Linda
Last Name
Ryan
Member #

Tow ratings in US and Europe are totally different. But the exp-6 behind a savannah is for sure a good combo
I LOVE it! Same here. Buck the system!! and the difference between the US and Europe makes sense.

leebones

Rank III
Investor

Pathfinder III

Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bones
Member #

Support is AWESOME! We have had to call a few times since September last year. Factor in the time difference but even now they are very helpful! We use WhatsApp to make the call and factor in the time difference (it's 19 hours that they are ahead from the west coast) so call in the evening. If we have to email, they are quick to respond.
We have an EXP-8 on order due to arrive in Canada in about 12 months. Very slick ordering process. We can't wait to go exploring with this thing!

leebones

Rank III
Investor

Pathfinder III

First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bones
Member #

Super nice, kind of expensive, way too heavy.
Yes it is heavy. I am coming close to the max towing capability of my LR defender - and this is before adding kids, dog bags etc into the mix.

So I’m already looking at pickup trucks in my local market in the 12k-18k lbs capacity and am getting dizzy between the manufactures and the various family/models within each.

I’m trying to beat understand if I can get away with the F150/Sierra 1500 /RAM 1500 segment, or should I just skip ahead to the 250/2500 group?

Reactions: bgenlvtex

DintDobbs

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@leebones 2500 class. If you're a heavy packer, you'll need all the extra durability you can get. Buying a 1500 is more expensive when you consider all the upgrades it will need in order to make it capable of doing all the 2500-class stuff you want to do with it, and then you still break it and end up buying a 2500 eventually any way.

Plus the 2500 will pull that fat trailer all day long without breaking a sweat.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Yes it is heavy. I am coming close to the max towing capability of my LR defender - and this is before adding kids, dog bags etc into the mix.

So I’m already looking at pickup trucks in my local market in the 12k-18k lbs capacity and am getting dizzy between the manufactures and the various family/models within each.

I’m trying to beat understand if I can get away with the F150/Sierra 1500 /RAM 1500 segment, or should I just skip ahead to the 250/2500 group?
Without going into excessive and proprietary details I personally I would buy a Ram 2500 4x4..

I will say however that "manufacturer tow ratings" are largely pie in the sky bullshit with no foundation in reality once elevation and grade come into play.

Reactions: leebones

leebones

Rank III
Investor

Pathfinder III

First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bones
Member #

Without going into excessive and proprietary details I personally I would buy a Ram 2500 4x4..

I will say however that "manufacturer tow ratings" are largely pie in the sky bullshit with no foundation in reality once elevation and grade come into play.
Thanks for the feedback. Trying to figure out the configurator now.

We would want the “mega cab” if possible (three kids). Not sure if it comes on all trim levels.

Cumins or no?
Power wagon v rebel?

I need to go for a drive to the local ram dealer I think …

Reactions: bgenlvtex

leebones

Rank III
Investor

Pathfinder III

First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bones
Member #

@leebones 2500 class. If you're a heavy packer, you'll need all the extra durability you can get. Buying a 1500 is more expensive when you consider all the upgrades it will need in order to make it capable of doing all the 2500-class stuff you want to do with it, and then you still break it and end up buying a 2500 eventually any way.

Thanks!

leebones

Rank III
Investor

Pathfinder III

First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bones
Member #

I am renting a 2500 cummins powered 2022 model this weekend to try towing the rig with that to see how it feels back there. Looking forward to the experience!

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Thanks for the feedback. Trying to figure out the configurator now.

We would want the “mega cab” if possible (three kids). Not sure if it comes on all trim levels.

Cumins or no?
Power wagon v rebel?

I need to go for a drive to the local ram dealer I think …
I just traded a 2021 Power Wagon (for several reasons) but mostly because the tow and cargo ratings were no better than my Gladiator.

If I was buying today, it would be a Rebel 2500 with Cummins.

Ram crew cabs have a very spacious rear seat. Mega Cab is built on the same chassis as an 8 foot bed, so longer wheelbase which is not conducive to your needs.

Enjoy your test drive, let us know how that goes. If you are unfamiliar with late model diesel pick ups and their attendant power, be prepared to be impressed

ETA: one thing to remember with the diesel model 2500/3500 or eco-diesel model 1500 is if you want a front winch it will need to be mounted in front of the bumper, the inter-cooler is between the frame horns and behind the bumper, so a hidden winch is effectively impossible (unless you have the ability/ingenuity to relocate the inter-cooler)

Last edited:
Reactions: DintDobbs

DintDobbs

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Hard not to recommend the Ram, honestly. They've been at the top of the food chain for some time, and that legendary Cummins diesel is a good thing!

I'd never be able to go that big, but if you can have your cake and eat it too, you might as well!