Launch Member

Contributor III

Lymington, UK
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Close
Member #

I've had a pair of Wolf boxes for about 20 years and broke a few of the plastic clips early on. I put some metal clips on one of the boxes (about 10 years ago) which are still there, the other box still has plastic clips. So my side by side test comparison over may years reveals this:

The Wolf box plastic clips last forever IF you properly seat the lid before clicking them shut and and unclip all of them before trying to remove the lid. If you jam too much stuff in the box and then try to use the clips to force the lid down they will snap sooner or later. Likewise unclipping one side and then levering the lid off - something will snap sooner or later...

The metal clips are definitely way stronger, but can ping off quite easily (when the box is open) as they are made of very hard spring steel.

Adjust the way you open and close the box and you may find the plastic clips are just fine - and are nicer to use in my experience.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy P

family-overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Konstanz, Germany
First Name
phil
Last Name
mädler
Member #

I'm using Plano storage trunk boxes and i'm really happy with it. The box is not 100% waterproof but even heavy rain is no problem.

St8ton

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salisbury, NC
Member #

Rubbermaid Brute containers. Durable, no latches to break, have handles, fairly waterproof (don't submerge), stackable, cheap, readily available. I'd love to have a Zarges Case or AluBox...but it's just not in the cards at this point.

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

I am looking for boxes at moment to fit along side of my fridge...I have considered. Most of the above but still can’t decide....Wolf seem ok but with broken clips and lids that warp over time, it puts me off them. I like the idea of a stackable system which is cost effective too.

Bryan_FRO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Agoura Hills CA
Member #

I've had a pair of Wolf boxes for about 20 years and broke a few of the plastic clips early on. I put some metal clips on one of the boxes (about 10 years ago) which are still there, the other box still has plastic clips. So my side by side test comparison over may years reveals this:

The Wolf box plastic clips last forever IF you properly seat the lid before clicking them shut and and unclip all of them before trying to remove the lid. If you jam too much stuff in the box and then try to use the clips to force the lid down they will snap sooner or later. Likewise unclipping one side and then levering the lid off - something will snap sooner or later...

The metal clips are definitely way stronger, but can ping off quite easily (when the box is open) as they are made of very hard spring steel.

Adjust the way you open and close the box and you may find the plastic clips are just fine - and are nicer to use in my experience.

Thanks for the write-up! You are correct! I've used mine for some time and never had any issues.

I have noticed one of my lids changed its shape slightly. The boxes sit in the sun when we are traveling, and one was packed with gear.

I set the box empty in the sun with the lid on correctly and the problem was fixed!

Bryan

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Really useful boxes are pretty good too, we use a mixture of sizes, mostly 35 and 18 ltrs which stack together and fit the load bed quite well in both the L200 and the Defender.