BoldAdventures 2015 Ram Power Wagon Build

• HTML tutorial

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I've done a lot of upgrades in the past few months, but have been behind with my build thread. But here are some highlights.

Modified Front Bumper

I had some problems with my bumper the way it was. Had a good friend rework all the welds, and weld the back side which originally was not welded. Also removed 2 1/2 inches from the bottom of the bumper.

Thuren Parts Galore!

Installed Thuren 1.5 inch front Hemi coils, Thuren Rear Trackbar, Thuren Boogie Rated Front Bumpstops and King Steering Stabilizer.

Also Dodge Off Road Steering Brace

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Tire Upgrade

After installing the Thuren 1.5 inch Hemi coil up front, I went ahead and installed Toyo Open Country M/T's in 37x12.50R17

I love these tires. They fit the truck so well. And I'm going to be honest here, when wheeling in Moab, I feel like the 37's are a bigger difference compared to the 35's. I did not notice a huge gain with the 35's when wheeling compared to the stock 33's. But the 37's are very noticeable in terms of gains compared to the 35's.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Dethloff MFG Custom Build Stuff

So, my pal Marcus started up a fabrication business and I was to be his first customer. The plan, build me a custom Oil & Transmission skid plate, a custom Rooftop Tent Rack and if time permitted, build a custom rear high clearance bumper. With the long term plan being, that my truck would use prototype parts that Marcus could take to production for other Ram 2500 owners.

I also helped Marcus build his website: dethloffmfg.com - designed by yours truly :tongueout:

Skid Plate

So I dented my transmission skid plate in Moab last May. Ram doesn't offer any protection for this area of the vehicle.

Marcus spent A LOT of time engineering a solution for my truck. The first prototype

CUSTOM ROOFTOP TENT RACK - Designed for Ram's with Ram Boxes

No one makes a decent rack for the Ram 2500 with Ram Boxes. Nuthouse kinda sorta makes an overpriced joke, but it's fugly as all get out. And did I mention, OVER PRICED.

My requirements were first that the rack MUST match the design of the cab. It must follow the truck lines. It has to work with my Ram Boxes and I didn't want my tent completely at roof height. And the cross bars need to be removable so I can use my truck as a truck. I can still load a dirt bike or an ATV if need be.

Marcus spent A LOT of time designing and engineering a solution for me. One that he'll take to market shortly for others. This is the rack, the forward section matches the cab contours and clears the 3rd brake light. Custom mounting brackets and only weighs about 100lbs total. Made from 2 inch 120 DOM steel.

This rack also features custom mounting brackets that allow me to mount the RTT directly to the cross bars. So no need for those stupid cross bars these tents usually come with.

We also did a weight test. We put myself, my wife, Marcus and my two kids in the tent on the rack. The tent weighs 130lbs and say 690lbs for 3 adults and two kids, so about 820lbs with no bending in the tubes.

The rack underwent a lot of testing before we sent it off to powder coat.

This rack has been thoroughly Moab tested as well during our Labor Day 2017 trip.

No one makes a rack that sits this tightly to the cab

Ram boxes are completely useable with this rack

Completely trail worthy!

I'm extremely happy with how the rack turned out.

Last edited:

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Final Touches

Painting

Since we modified the front bumper all the paint got removed. I considered for a good while powder coating the front bumper. But I scratched the hell out of it in Moab. So I decided the painting the bumper with a high-quality automotive paint might be a better idea. I etched the metal and used Eastwood Two Part Rat Rod Satin Black. I LOVE THE WAY it turned out. I also took the time to touch up my sliders, since they were scratched to hell and back also.

I finally got some new lights for the front bumper. Picked up a pair Baja Designs Squadron Sport S. They compliment the bumper very nicely.

And as you might have noticed, I replaced the front winch hook with a Factor55 Flatlink E. In safety orange of course.

Trolling IRL

To cap it all off, I had a set of these custom decals made to replace the White Knuckle logo on my sliders.

Last edited:

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Electric Upgrades & Communications

So, you could spend like 500 something dollars for an S-Pod thingy because you can't wire, or you could spend $65 dollars and learn to do some basic wiring. Those S-Pods do not have $500's worth of electronics in them. Sorry, it's relays and switches. There is a level of the amount I'd personally pay for ease of installation.

I've been meaning to upgrade my wiring for awhile. It was looking a tad nasty. So I spent some time cleaning things up. I also had a few new items to wire up. Such as the new Baja Designs lights and a new Yaesu ham radio.

I installed a RIGrunner 4005 to power the 12v accessories inside the truck. Not pictured, not only am I using the RIGrunner, but I used about 5 relays throughout the system. The large Anderson connector is for connecting other accessories, such as solar or my portable air compressors.

I love beautiful connectors. :)

My switch panel install, lovely OE look.

RADIO

To step up my communications game, I picked up a Yaesu FT-8900R and Larson NMO 2/70B antenna.

Last edited:

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Moab Testing

I frequent Moab quite a bit. So all this stuff needed some durability testing. And I can't think of a better place to test things, than a weekend trip to Moab. This past Labor Day, I took the family down to Moab to test all our new modifications. We were just there in May, so everything is was still fresh in our minds.

We had a great time camping, hiking, and rock crawling in this magical place.

I put together a fun little video of our time in Moab

Flexing on the Pickle!

The 37's made quick work of obstacles on Seven Mile Rim.

THE PICKLE

We tackled some new trails, and as far as I know, I am now the SECOND Power Wagon to have tackled the first obstacle on the PICKLE. And I'd just like to brag a little more, but this is one of the hardest trails in Moab.

Sadly, we went home with some damage when we got to the second obstacle and had to turn around.

IMG_8958.jpg

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I really like the way your build is coming along!! Your choice of parts along with your attention to detail and getting things made to your specs is over the top.

Lots of great ideas.

Looking forward to more updates.

vidkun

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bentonville, AR
Member #

I admit I haven't made it through the whole thread yet, but wanted to ask before I left work and forgot...

Mind if I ask what new careers your and the wife chose - especially that afford you this lifestyle of travel?

And you mentioned sealing your decision to go with an RTT instead of ground tent. What were your reasons for that choice?

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Mind if I ask what new careers your and the wife chose - especially that afford you this lifestyle of travel?
I'm a full stack developer and she's a customer support manager for Heroku

And you mentioned sealing your decision to go with an RTT instead of ground tent. What were your reasons for that choice?
The speed of setup and take down, off the cold ground, nice mattress, and space issues with the truck. With Ram Boxes, I can't have a cap. (I also don't like old man truck look anyhow) So we had about two containers that were consuming a lot of bed space. One for tent setup and all the sleeping bags and pillows and stuff. Now all the sleeping bags are in the tent, the tent is on the rack. It free'd up a lot of space in the bed for me.

With the Ram Boxes on the truck I can walk completely around the tent on the bed. So setup is fast, there is no struggling like there is for SUV guys who have to reach overhead.

Overall, sleeping is just a lot more pleasant for us. That sealed the deal for me.