Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH

Scenic trip over the Sierras on Hwy 108 to the ghost towns of Masonic, Bodie, and Aurora. We will be camping at 10,000 feet above Bodie as well on Copper Mountain with a stunning view of the eastern Sierras and Mono Lake. History and nature rolled into one trip.

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Please kindly hold a spot for Karen and I...no more "I remember I didn't go, but I don't remember why." Many thanks and looking forward to the trip.

Reactions: PapaDave

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
I wish you all a great time - Janet and I will be in Utah picking up our overlanding trailer that weekend. We had an interesting adventure there a couple weeks back by staying on the Masonic road until it ends and then dropping down and coming into Bodie via Del Monte Canyon. The State has put a lot of money into restoring and preserving Bodie - so much more to look at every time we go. Back in the 70's it was just abandoned shops and offices filled with the stuff they have now cleaned up a bit and arranged for display. The $3 for the write-up is well worth the coin, and the docents are quite knowledgeable :-)

Reactions: PapaDave and Budman

Metric0383

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ripon, CA, USA
First Name
DANIEL
Last Name
SWIER
Member #

Glad this one is back on the calendar! I was going to go last year with y'all in Aug but came down with the 'VID.

Looking at the destinations, we will be in elevations over 10,000'... would hate to have overheating issues. Drain and refill coolant before leaving definitely on the to do list. Maybe even new radiator.

TheViking

Rank III

Member I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Nielsen
Member #

I came over 108 yesterday after some days at Cerro Gordo, Pleasant Valley dam Campground, Alabama Hills etc and I somehow fried my brakes halfway across. Right front stopped engaging. Smelled some brakes, slowed down to take it easy but too late, felt like rotors warped or pads stopped engaging or made a flat spot, still need to take the truck in this week for all new OEM rotors and pads. Drove last 150 miles with engine braking and heavy right steering input not to get into oncoming traffic since the left pulling was hard when trying to brake sailing all over the place. I also need 4.56 gears. Cerro gordo incline and the 26 % uphill at 108 wasn’t fun on 33s in a heavy truck on Stock gearing. Temperature running 100 outside and water temp up 220 on the scan gauge. Probably do the bigger radiator too!

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

Hi PapaDave, Sad to say but I'm going to have to cancel going on this trip. I broke a steering arm on my Jeep last week on the Fordyce Trail and I'm waiting for parts. Doesn't look like I'll have it back together in time. I'm sure you all will have a great time! Hope to catch you on the next one.

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

Hi PapaDave, Sad to say but I'm going to have to cancel going on this trip. I broke a steering arm on my Jeep last week on the Fordyce Trail and I'm waiting for parts. Doesn't look like I'll have it back together in time. I'm sure you all will have a great time! Hope to catch you on the next one.

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

Yes! That's a beautiful area. There is good UHF / VHF repeaters in that area. Check out the C.A.R.L.A. website!

I like starting on on 182 (Sweetwater Road) to Masonic Road...visit the Chemung Mine, then work your way to the Bodie Masonic Road into Bodie State Park.

Good luck on you voyage!

73!

Reactions: napacunningham

Roaming Bear

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Menifee, CA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Pemberton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUS
I am new to all of this overlanding. What do i need to bring and if thetre is a fee involved, what does that cover. What do we do in the regards to food and cooking

TheViking

Rank III

Member I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Nielsen
Member #

My new front rotors have shipped but havent shown yet so I doubt ill be able to get them installed this week before the trip.

napacunningham

Rank IV

Contributor III

Napa, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Cunningham
Member #

PapaDave, this is my first outing with your crew. Anything I should know special? I saw something on the meeting agenda about BBQ/meals so I'd also like to know if it's normal to bring some extra to share. Happy to do so.

Gx460_Will

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Che
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OFX

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Nice trip, be safe have fun and please post a report!

WIll make the next one for sure.....

Reactions: napacunningham