Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

And another short picture/ videodump:
Baby Lionsback:

And on Golden Spike, with my good friend Dan using my shovel as an upper coil retainer:

And the Golden Staircase:

Baby Lionsback

Sevenmile Rim

A couple more shots of Hell's Revenge

A glamor shot, in the same place as last years, right before the Golden Crack. Just at a different angle.

Grand County? Yeah, this place is pretty grand.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Driving home from vegas the other day and I was greeted with a pretty sudden loud and shaky vibe, followed by a pretty big bang. I thought "damn, I blew a driveshaft". Turns out, I uh, didn't blow a driveshaft:

Soooo, yeah. The 247J decided to blow up. I think it's the TC that went and not the driveshaft because the diff yoke is messed up pretty badly, too. It feels to me like something happened with the TC, which caused the the ujoint on the front driveshaft to snap, or the yoke to snap.

Dropping the skid plate gives out a whooooooole lotta metal shavings.

I go to Flagstaff to grab another 247J for the time being later this week. In the not-too-distant future, I'll make for a 242 swap.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
In January of last year (2015) I began the MK.II Tablet setup, using a bolt-in mount and a Samsung Galaxy Tab|Pro 10.1".

This tablet is MUCH more efficient than it's predecessor, and even though it's now nearly three generations old, it's still a beast for 4x4 ops. It is very very power efficient, and uses a dual-quad-core CPU setup that allows one quad core to utilize basic functions while the other performs the more advanced. Because of this, and newer specs, GPS is very accurate, refreshes fast, and renders quickly. All of this with music being streamed to the Head Unit via bluetooth. It still is a beast of a tablet. And, thanks to a few of Samsung's (now improved) software changes, you can even dual-screen apps to fit more info on at once!

I'll be doing something similar as well, Im just chewing on which device to use. I really want a 4G device though, just...because. Slick setup.

This is the part of the build where things take an... interesting turn. I replaced the Jeep's stock, dying infinity amp with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 300x4 Supercompact 300watt amp. With the doors powered by the amp, I had the dash running off of the Head Unit. I still had 2 channels not being used... I thought, what the heck? I should find a pair of pod style speakers and fit them in the Jeep so that they can be rotated around and used for tailgating or camping! I bought a pair of beat up, used Bose Acoustimass cubes and fitted them in such a manner in the Jeep.

... Oh! I know what they need!

A fresh coat of paint should do the trick!

Mounted, and movable with force.

This brought the Jeep up to 8.1 Channels. Very excessive. At least it sounds good!
I have a set of these I'd been trying to find a purpose for too, thanks for the idea...

Driving home from vegas the other day and I was greeted with a pretty sudden loud and shaky vibe, followed by a pretty big bang. I thought "damn, I blew a driveshaft". Turns out, I uh, didn't blow a driveshaft:

Soooo, yeah. The 247J decided to blow up. I think it's the TC that went and not the driveshaft because the diff yoke is messed up pretty badly, too. It feels to me like something happened with the TC, which caused the the ujoint on the front driveshaft to snap, or the yoke to snap.

Dropping the skid plate gives out a whooooooole lotta metal shavings.

I go to Flagstaff to grab another 247J for the time being later this week. In the not-too-distant future, I'll make for a 242 swap.

DAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNN

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Yeah, from what I understand, when the 247J goes, it always seems to go in a spectacular fashion. Had to get towed home, and didn't get home until 3AM friday morning. The first tow truck that was sent broke down in the yard, so state farm had to call another company to come get me.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Well, funny story there. The tow was like 58 miles, 53 of which Insurance covered, so I has a 13 dollar overage. The first tow truck they called broke down in the yard, and the second one was a local guy, which was probably better anyways. I originally called at like 10 or 11 PM, and didn't get picked up until about 1:30 AM.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Well, the "new" 247J is in, it's just a matter of getting a new front driveshaft. No picture sadly, since my driveway is still pretty well soaked in dirt and TC fluids, I can't get down there unless I expect to scrub up afterwards. Almost back on the road!

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Soo Pretty, Soo Shiny!

Wanted to show off the new driveshaft. it features greasable EVERYTHING (including the ball joint in the double cardan end), and a full length spline in the slip joint. I'm pretty impressed. It's a beefy propshaft!

So, the Jeep is driveable again. I have an acceleration clunk and driving wobble, I think the bushings in the front lower control arms are finally toast. So, I suppose that'll be the next project!

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Well, the shenanigans continue!
On the hottest recorded weekend of 2016, I am without A/C... again. The orifice tube (essentially a $2 plastic-and-metal screen which DaimlerChrysler decided to fully integrate into the liquid line) clogged up, and overpressured the compressor. Blew one of the internal seals to smithereens.

So now I am waiting for a package to arrive with a new liquid line, High pressure line (because it's the last original line, might as well replace it while I'm replacing parts), and a new compressor from Denso. Hopefully they arrive soon so I can get it fixed soon. It's brutal driving around with no A/C in this heat!

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
My compressor clutch went out last fall. I unplugged it for the winter, but I need to get it looked at and make sure the compressor didn't take out the clutch. Need to get it done before summer shows up in force. But I do enjoy driving around with the windows down and the sun roof open!

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

SO the Jeep continues to have A/C shenanigans!

So The Compressor died as well, (Internal seal failure), So I ended up just replacing the Liquid line, Hi-pressure line, and compressor all in one go.

-But-

When they sell you the liquid line, generally they are supposed to either tell you (or sell you) a system flush for the A/C. When the compressor grenades, it spreads tons of metal shavings throughout the system, hence the flush. Since I wasn't told about the flush, we charged 'er up, and we were working good for about a day. Then the new orifice tube clogged up and the pressure spiked. The good news is, the relief valve on the new compressor works, so the distinct smell of freon alerted me to the problem. So, yeah. Chemical flush is in the A/C system's future. And yet another new liquid line. At least they're not super expensive.

The good news is, she's healthy otherwise. Just waiting on some new front lower control arms, since I pretty much wallowed out those (and dented one of the arms) in Moab. They were the last stock set of arms on the Jeep, so hopefully having full bushings again will mean that it'll ride better.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Well, the Jeep got New front lower control arms. Core 4x4 Fab CAs just like the upper and lower rears. The stock bushings were fatigued and cracked enough to warrant replacing them. The factory, stamped sheet metal arms themselves were dented and rusted pretty well. The new, thicker control arms oughta hold up better.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

humming

Rank 0

Contributor I

fellow arizonan here, very cool build! Is the drive to crown king from lake pleasant something a basically stock 4x4 could do without much worry when it's dry? I saw your video and it looks kind of crazy. I'm wanting to find some fairly tame local trails.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

I actually haven't run it since '14. Back then, it was certainly doable. I know they recently had to re-route the trail because of a dispute between one of the landowners and the forest service regarding where the trail goes. A pretty good chunk of Crown King's income comes from that trail, so the BLM and Forest service went to work re-routing it. I haven't run it since then, but the rains can change the trail pretty drastically. If you attempt it, be sure to take a buddy with a second vehicle, and do it on a clear, sunny day. About halfway up, the terrain changes and it can get icy really quick.

humming

Rank 0

Contributor I

I actually haven't run it since '14. Back then, it was certainly doable. I know they recently had to re-route the trail because of a dispute between one of the landowners and the forest service regarding where the trail goes. A pretty good chunk of Crown King's income comes from that trail, so the BLM and Forest service went to work re-routing it. I haven't run it since then, but the rains can change the trail pretty drastically. If you attempt it, be sure to take a buddy with a second vehicle, and do it on a clear, sunny day. About halfway up, the terrain changes and it can get icy really quick.
yeah, we'll definitely make sure we have good weather. There should be 3-4 vehicles, one of which is a very capable and well kitted wrangler with an experienced driver.

Thanks!

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Soooo, the bad news is, still no A/C. The evaporator assembly in the dash let out after a couple days of lovely A/C.
It'll be a few months before I can rip the dash apart to replace it. I do need to replace my heater core anyways.
-But-
This did come in the mail recently!
20160803_142007.jpg
"But Big Tuna, that's on the inside... What do you have on the outside to represent?"

20160803_142022.jpg

I decided to put the sticker on the outside since the sun here cooks and destroys everything. this way, I can just peel & replace when the time comes.

As for now, on to finding a new transmission oil pan. The current one has a pretty good dent in it, as it took a pretty good wallop from the old driveshaft when it grenaded.

EDIT: Yes, the Jeep currently is that dirty. Monsoon storms mixed with sandstorms do this. haha

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I had the A/C compressor and clutch replaced last Tuesday. I had been without A/C since last fall when the clutch gave up the ghost. A few weeks ago It started getting noisy and I knew the clutch bearing was giving out. A clutch was 60% of the cost of a new compressor, and it was quit possible that the compressor took out the clutch last fall.

When changing the compressor, the shop put in a new serpentine belt. Last Friday, on the way the work, I suddenly lost alternator, power steering and cooling (both engine and interior). Got off the road without getting it too hot. Still pre-dawn so poked around with a flashlight and found the new serpentine belt wrapped around the fan. Further investigation revealed the idler pulley locked up tight. Got the XYL headed my way so we could go get parts (I had a spare belt, but not a pulley).

Once I had the parts, it was a five minute fix, but it delayed me getting to work for to hours.