Rank I

Contributor III

Pincher Creek, Alberta
First Name
Mitchel
Last Name
Brady
1986 Chevy
Originally a half ton. Currently on heavy duty 3/4 ton axles and springs.
Detroit locker in the rear
4 speed manual
350 small block
This build is always changing

Attachments

1986K10

Rank I

Contributor III

Pincher Creek, Alberta
First Name
Mitchel
Last Name
Brady
1986 Chevy
Originally a half ton. Currently on heavy duty 3/4 ton axles and springs.
Detroit locker in the rear
4 speed manual
350 small block
This build is always changing
Like that bumper; is that fully custom?
It is. Was made for a welding truck in the 90s. I am planning on modifying it slightly in the near future

Reactions: KevinsOffroad.com

Waaazooo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Middle River, MD, USA
First Name
Waz
Last Name
Zoo
Member #

Hello all,

I’m new to the idea of over landing... in this tense. I grew up in Utah and am used to 4 wheeling to campsites and primitive camping. This is right up my alley and am excited to start planning my first trip with a friend of mine this fall or next spring. I’ll be using my 2017 Silverado. I’ll have lots of questions. Please be patient with me.

Attachments

JDCarguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Sheridan wyoming
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Cattaneo
Member #

This is sweet! Well I am new to the forums and such. This here is my 2004 ram 2500. Tons of mods to her and I will probably start my own build thread. But she is the 5.9 24v cummins, have about 3" of lift rocking some 37" toyos (second hand). Excited to be here!

Attachments

jkajfreeman

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Freeman
Hi all! New to overlanding! Currently building a 2019 Chevy Trailboss. Waiting on tent and other gear I have ordered. Decked system is in already
Looking forward to your build. I have a 2020 Trail Boss that I am starting to build. I am hoping to use it as the base camp and pull my Wrangler for the tighter trails.

John

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
Introducing 'The Husky Bus'... Another full figured machine!

2013 Ford F-150 Raptor SVT. [AKA “The Husky Bus]... The desert rats down here in San Diego like to tell me she’s a waste of beautiful pre-runner... since I’m building her out as an Overland Rig. To which I say, Nope. It’s just (IMHO) the best suspension mixed with a V8 in “my” favorite make/model, for a rig that will be tortured. The Husky Bus’ engine and trans are still nice and tight at nearly 80k miles. The previous owner (and I) take very good care of her. Brakes need some CPR to fix the ‘Raptor Squeal’. Cooling system is solid, but I will be adding a Trans Cooler.

Her current Vitals are as follows: 6.2L V8 | 801A Groupo | Fuse 27 Mod | MagnaFlow Exhaust | S&B CAI | Pedal Commander | Fox OEM Shocks w/ Forged Upgrades (Rebuilt Nov 20’) | Eibach Pro Coils | Deaver +3 HD Leafs | Method Wheels | Goodyear Wranglers (for now) | ARE Overland Cap w/ Windoors | ARE Rival 4” Ditch LEDs | ARE Rival Quad Corner LED Pods | ARE Rival 20” LED Grill | ARE Rival 30” LED Grill | 40” Roof Amber/White/Amber LED Bar | 4ea 4” Pod Sides | Rigid 4” LED Chase PODS.

My storage solution is constantly in development. My last 3 rigs have had DIY storage systems all built from great designs I’ve pirated off the interwebs... and loved building and perfecting them. Knowing this build is eventually headed to live part time in Alaska... this time I opted for a ‘bombproof’ storage solution and started with a Decked System in the bed... Drawer 1 has Kitchen, cooking & dining gear, Coffee Maker (Jetboil & Percolator), and Pots & Pans. Drawer 2 is dedicated to hand, electrical & air tool kits, parts, full size jack and recovery tools (saw, snow/sand shovels, bolt cutters, breaker bar etc). Also in the bed. I have bedside rails built from extruded aluminum which run the full length of the bed with BLS & ALS Meds Kits, Fire Extinguisher, CO2 Tank (air up/down essentials), Axe, and Shovel. I slide in a DIY table that 3 Plano boxes nest in (1 - Food, 2 - Lights & Power Supply, 3 - Clothing & Woobies). Alongside those sit some Ammo cans, a Hawaiian Sling, Mask, Fins & Snorkel. On top are Sleeping Bags. Slid in next are Camp Chef Explorer stove w/ Griddle & BBQ box, Cooler, Water, and other gear, and sometimes firewood.

On the roof of the Cab I have a Hooke rack that hosts 2 Plano boxes (1 - recovery gear, 2 - fire pit & misc camp gear), Traction Pads, and 3.8 gal WaterPort. On the roof of the Cap I have an ARE Ascend basket that holds a Gazelle T4, 2 Chairs, 5lb Propane Tank, Chain Saw, and Fuel. It also has crossbars for Kayaks or Surfboards or SUP. [Note: This is changing... I’m currently working with Adrian at MIA Outdoors on a custom RTT with the ARE rack mounted to the top of it]. On the rear I have a RIGd Ultraswing Tire Carrier w/ Frontrunner Table, and Bike Rack. On the tire I have Saddle Bags that hold Dog tackle, food, bowls, toys, water, and woobies. Inside the Cab under the backseat I have a Go-Bag and (4 season) urban and backwoods survival kit with 72 hour food supply. Center console has EDC and typical odds and ends. All the Door Panels have a Water Bottle, set of Snivel Gear, Headlamp, Flashlight, Knife, Compass, Health & Hygiene Kit, Trash Bags, and Blue Bags. Glove box is spare batteries & Map Books.

For COMMS I run a Kenwood TK-790H for dedicated VHF coupled with a modified Pyramid SVR200 Mobile Repeater. The repeater supports and extends 4ea UVR5 Handhelds also onboard. I also have a dual band GT-3 in the truck but are still experimenting with it. Alongside it I run a dinky KT8900 Quad Band Radio and a Cobra 75 WX XT. The extra minimal wattage radio sets are overkill I know, but it gives me extra freq monitoring capability in both VHF/UHF when I’m pulling chase & recovery detail out with the desert rats. The dedicated 110w VHF set is run though a PCI 4 Seat Intercom with PTT Headsets front and back. For navigation, I run an iPad Pro with Gaia (and have been experimenting with iOverlander). The iPad is coupled with an iPhone on AT&T FirstNet. But I never touch dirt without downloaded maps and paper maps onboard. Yes, I know the FCC rules/regs/laws. No, I haven’t taken my Technicians test. Yes, I know I need to get it done. It’s been on my ‘to-do’ list the past 4 years but every time I’m ready for it, a contract appears, and I pop smoke. This year for sure!

f6dc0c5aa68c5e1b239d8b1675cf80cf.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Introducing 'The Husky Bus'... Another full figured machine!

2013 Ford F-150 Raptor SVT. [AKA “The Husky Bus]... The desert rats down here in San Diego like to tell me she’s a waste of beautiful pre-runner... since I’m building her out as an Overland Rig. To which I say, Nope. It’s just (IMHO) the best suspension mixed with a V8 in “my” favorite make/model, for a rig that will be tortured. The Husky Bus’ engine and trans are still nice and tight at nearly 80k miles. The previous owner (and I) take very good care of her. Brakes need some CPR to fix the ‘Raptor Squeal’. Cooling system is solid, but I will be adding a Trans Cooler.

Her current Vitals are as follows: 6.2L V8 | 801A Groupo | Fuse 27 Mod | MagnaFlow Exhaust | S&B CAI | Pedal Commander | Fox OEM Shocks w/ Forged Upgrades (Rebuilt Nov 20’) | Eibach Pro Coils | Deaver +3 HD Leafs | Method Wheels | Goodyear Wranglers (for now) | ARE Overland Cap w/ Windoors | ARE Rival 4” Ditch LEDs | ARE Rival Quad Corner LED Pods | ARE Rival 20” LED Grill | ARE Rival 30” LED Grill | 40” Roof Amber/White/Amber LED Bar | 4ea 4” Pod Sides | Rigid 4” LED Chase PODS.

My storage solution is constantly in development. My last 3 rigs have had DIY storage systems all built from great designs I’ve pirated off the interwebs... and loved building and perfecting them. Knowing this build is eventually headed to live part time in Alaska... this time I opted for a ‘bombproof’ storage solution and started with a Decked System in the bed... Drawer 1 has Kitchen, cooking & dining gear, Coffee Maker (Jetboil & Percolator), and Pots & Pans. Drawer 2 is dedicated to hand, electrical & air tool kits, parts, full size jack and recovery tools (saw, snow/sand shovels, bolt cutters, breaker bar etc). Also in the bed. I have bedside rails built from extruded aluminum which run the full length of the bed with BLS & ALS Meds Kits, Fire Extinguisher, CO2 Tank (air up/down essentials), Axe, and Shovel. I slide in a DIY table that 3 Plano boxes nest in (1 - Food, 2 - Lights & Power Supply, 3 - Clothing & Woobies). Alongside those sit some Ammo cans, a Hawaiian Sling, Mask, Fins & Snorkel. On top are Sleeping Bags. Slid in next are Camp Chef Explorer stove w/ Griddle & BBQ box, Cooler, Water, and other gear, and sometimes firewood.

On the roof of the Cab I have a Hooke rack that hosts 2 Plano boxes (1 - recovery gear, 2 - fire pit & misc camp gear), Traction Pads, and 3.8 gal WaterPort. On the roof of the Cap I have an ARE Ascend basket that holds a Gazelle T4, 2 Chairs, 5lb Propane Tank, Chain Saw, and Fuel. It also has crossbars for Kayaks or Surfboards or SUP. [Note: This is changing... I’m currently working with Adrian at MIA Outdoors on a custom RTT with the ARE rack mounted to the top of it]. On the rear I have a RIGd Ultraswing Tire Carrier w/ Frontrunner Table, and Bike Rack. On the tire I have Saddle Bags that hold Dog tackle, food, bowls, toys, water, and woobies. Inside the Cab under the backseat I have a Go-Bag and (4 season) urban and backwoods survival kit with 72 hour food supply. Center console has EDC and typical odds and ends. All the Door Panels have a Water Bottle, set of Snivel Gear, Headlamp, Flashlight, Knife, Compass, Health & Hygiene Kit, Trash Bags, and Blue Bags. Glove box is spare batteries & Map Books.

For COMMS I run a Kenwood TK-790H for dedicated VHF coupled with a modified Pyramid SVR200 Mobile Repeater. The repeater supports and extends 4ea UVR5 Handhelds also onboard. I also have a dual band GT-3 in the truck but are still experimenting with it. Alongside it I run a dinky KT8900 Quad Band Radio and a Cobra 75 WX XT. The extra minimal wattage radio sets are overkill I know, but it gives me extra freq monitoring capability in both VHF/UHF when I’m pulling chase & recovery detail out with the desert rats. The dedicated 110w VHF set is run though a PCI 4 Seat Intercom with PTT Headsets front and back. For navigation, I run an iPad Pro with Gaia (and have been experimenting with iOverlander). The iPad is coupled with an iPhone on AT&T FirstNet. But I never touch dirt without downloaded maps and paper maps onboard. Yes, I know the FCC rules/regs/laws. No, I haven’t taken my Technicians test. Yes, I know I need to get it done. It’s been on my ‘to-do’ list the past 4 years but every time I’m ready for it, a contract appears, and I pop smoke. This year for sure!

View attachment 196072
That's a great looking truck; kitted out just right, looks like.

Reactions: BigH2OChief

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
my last truck was a f-350 super duty with 8' bed, so when i bought the tundra, i didn't consider it a "full size" pickup, but i guess it is. the tundra has turned out to be the perfect size for the way we overland....it has a better turning radius than the f-350 and is a good bit shorter, but still can carry a good bit of gear and i can stretch out completely in the back with no problems. with the shell, cargo rack and swing out carrier, i can carry everything we need to make extended trips, even in very remote areas.
and when coupled with the small camp trailer, it makes a great base camp/exploring set up

P1000451.JPG

Attachments

Last edited: