Rank I

Contributor III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Narsy
Last Name
Vafaie
Hello All,
I am planning a trip next week up to Coyote Flats, and was looking at a route that goes up from Big Pine to Coyote Flats (via S2E03) instead of going through Bishop. Was wondering if anybody has done the route from Big Pine to Coyote Flats? What little information I could find made it sound like the trail might have some significant rock obstacles. Any insight would be appreciated.

I have a ~3in lift, with 33s on a 5th Gen 4Runner. Will be solo, which is another reason why I'm being cautious.

Thank you in advance

Go2AllThePlaces

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Las Vegas
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Umlauf
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BBB
Hello All,
I am planning a trip next week up to Coyote Flats, and was looking at a route that goes up from Big Pine to Coyote Flats (via S2E03) instead of going through Bishop. Was wondering if anybody has done the route from Big Pine to Coyote Flats? What little information I could find made it sound like the trail might have some significant rock obstacles. Any insight would be appreciated.

I have a ~3in lift, with 33s on a 5th Gen 4Runner. Will be solo, which is another reason why I'm being cautious.

Thank you in advance
Got any pictures from your trip ?

Wazatch

Rank I

Contributor III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Narsy
Last Name
Vafaie
Hi!! Did you make your trip yet? We just went to Funnel Lake via Bishop. Wondering how the trip was from Big Pine!
Hey Chris. Actually ended up going up to Funnel Lake through Bishop, but tried to make it down via the trail to Big Pine. Once we passed Sugarloaf about a few miles into the trail we hit an obstacle that I didn't think we would make it over. So we turned around. Didn't want to get stuck. TrailRecon actually had a recent video on YouTube that showed the obstacle. Glad I didn't go up that way, had a three diamond rating.

Funnel Lake was great though! Were you up there with the group on Thursday?

Reactions: Chris Sledge

Chris Sledge

Rank 0

Contributor I

Lakewood, CA, USA
Member #

Hey Chris. Actually ended up going up to Funnel Lake through Bishop, but tried to make it down via the trail to Big Pine. Once we passed Sugarloaf about a few miles into the trail we hit an obstacle that I didn't think we would make it over. So we turned around. Didn't want to get stuck. TrailRecon actually had a recent video on YouTube that showed the obstacle. Glad I didn't go up that way, had a three diamond rating.

Sounds and looks like tou had a great time. We went up Friday and came home Sunday. Camped almost exactly where you did. I think we burned what was left of that log in your picture

Chris Sledge

Rank 0

Contributor I

Lakewood, CA, USA
Member #

No we went up in Friday and left Sunday. Saturday/Sunday night was extremely windy. Other than that it was amazing!!