Menifee, CA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Pemberton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUS
Thanks for setting up this Ralley. Sounds fun and it will be my first time overlanding. I hear that it is beautiful country

Reactions: Rcad

Rcad

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wildomar, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Cadman
Good morning all, I’m excited for this coming trip and hopefully it turns out to be loads of fun for everyone. I will say for my first setup of a rally point, the turnout so far is fantastic. Thank you for joining and I look forward to meeting you all this weekend!!
I'm looking forward to this trip as well. Thank you for putting this on!
With that said I have recently found out a couple things...
This may be common knowledge to the rest of you, but I guess even though campfires are banned right now, we're supposed to have a "Campfire Permit" just to cook on a gas/ propane grill while camping? I kinda doubt this is even enforced, but I went ahead and got the free permit just to be safe. I just Googled "California Campfire Permit" and the website came right up and it only took a couple minutes to obtain.
Also, I could be wrong, but I believe you're supposed to have an Adventure Pass if you're dispersed camping and not in a private campground. Again, I went ahead and got an annual pass for $30 at Big 5... not free like the Campfire Permit. I believe you can just get a daily pass for around $5 as well.
I'm certainly not trying to be the camping police here and won't be asking anyone if they got their permits... haha. I just thought I'd let eveyone know in case they didn't already. I decided to obtain these things, because with my luck I'd be the one who'd get questioned by a ranger and get a fine.
Also, if anyone knows otherwise and I'm incorrect on any of this stuff, please let me know. Or if there's any other California permits we might need... like a "Folding Chair Permit" or "Out After Dark Permit"! Haha.

Last edited:

SDrnd2

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Point Loma, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Walter
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
As far as the fire restrictions go here’s the link: San Bernardino National Forest - Outdoor Safety & Ethics
I didn’t see anything about propane fueled stove/grill and with the Adventure Pass/America the Beautiful Pass, since we’re in the national forest and not at a national park/historic site I don’t think we need one but I have an America the Beautiful pass just in case. But I am a huge proponent of research so please check this link so you can verify in case I missed it. Region 5 - Recreation Passes & Permits

lnye26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Nye
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OQF
As far as the fire restrictions go here’s the link: San Bernardino National Forest - Outdoor Safety & Ethics
I didn’t see anything about propane fueled stove/grill and with the Adventure Pass/America the Beautiful Pass, since we’re in the national forest and not at a national park/historic site I don’t think we need one but I have an America the Beautiful pass just in case. But I am a huge proponent of research so please check this link so you can verify in case I missed it. Region 5 - Recreation Passes & Permits
I was led to understand if you have the America the Beautiful Pass you do not need to purchase the Adventure Pass.
There is currently a no burn order in the San Bernidino Forest. No open wood or charcoal fires. Propane / Gas stoves permitted with fire permit.
I will try and double check on this later today as there has been some rain up in the Big Bear area this week.
Current forecast lists a fifty percent chance of rain this Saturday in Big Bear area.

Rcad

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wildomar, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Cadman
I wish I could join you guys. I’ve been wanting to camp in big bear for a while but never had the nerve to do it alone. Sadly I’ll be up in Sacramento on Saturday morning. For future planning, how do you keep your food safe from bears? Do you need to put it in a special container?
I've never camped in Big Bear before, but I just plan on keeping all my food inside my vehicle.
I found the following info on the SB National Forest website... San Bernardino National Forest - Camping & Cabins

Reactions: SDrnd2

NomadikTrail

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Good morning.

A few questions.

Food - just making sure are we are all responsible for our own food and drinks?

Weather - with a possibility of rain will that change anything

Rcad

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wildomar, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Cadman
Good morning.

A few questions.

I believe everyone is bringing their own food.
I'm still planning on going, regardless of weather. Just waiting to find out if I'm going to have to work tomorrow. Uuugh!

Reactions: NomadikTrail

NomadikTrail

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Good morning.

A few questions.

I believe everyone is bringing their own food.
I'm still planning on going, regardless of weather. Just waiting to find out if I'm going to have to work tomorrow. Uuugh!
Hopefully you get the day off.

Normally rain doesn’t bother me but I am driving a topless TJ so it may be a slight damper on the adventure. Might get a little bit soggy. Lol

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This may be common knowledge to the rest of you, but I guess even though campfires are banned right now, we're supposed to have a "Campfire Permit" just to cook on a gas/ propane grill while camping? I kinda doubt this is even enforced, but I went ahead and got the free permit just to be safe.
With the increased number of people camping, this is enforced. That doesn't mean that one of rangers doing the patrols will end up in your camp. Their mostly looking for camp fires and BBQ's. Get a free permit and stuff it in your glove box. The fine otherwise can be pretty steep.

Reactions: Brewbud and Rcad

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

With the increased number of people camping, this is enforced. That doesn't mean that one of rangers doing the patrols will end up in your camp. Their mostly looking for camp fires and BBQ's. Get a free permit and stuff it in your glove box. The fine otherwise can be pretty steep.
I have been asked. I only had my propane stove out sitting on a table. It is quick and easy to get one.

Roaming Bear

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Menifee, CA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Pemberton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUS
Hi I hope that all will go well with your adventure. I am going to have to bow out of this trip since I got word this morning, that a good friend of mine that underwent surgury yesterday to remove a tumor from his head, bled out on the table and is now on life support. He is not expected to make it past the weekend. Sorry that I will not be there, Bret

lnye26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Nye
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OQF
Looks like there are now two dropping out of tommorrows run.
I have to cancel as my wife was just admitted to the hospital unknown the duration at this time.
Was really looking forward to this trip. Hope for a future adventure with you.

Roaming Bear

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Menifee, CA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Pemberton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUS
Sorry to hear about your wife. We will be thinking about her and wishing her a short stay in the hospita;

lnye26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Nye
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OQF
Thanks RB, we both hope it will be short.
Will also being saying prayers for your friend.
Hopefully we can hook up on the trail sooner than later.

lnye26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Nye
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OQF
To everyone still going on the 3N16 run tomorrow please note that today there was a posting on the I10 that route 38 up to Big Bear was closed due to a mudslide.
Currently there is a Flash Flood waringi affect in the Big Bear area so be prepared for rain and muddy conditions.
Reschedule??

SDrnd2

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Point Loma, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Walter
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Good evening all, I just made it to big bear lake, at the holiday inn, didn’t have any issues with road closure coming up from SD. The front desk did mention something about a road closure but from the I-10 up coming from SD it was open.