BFG KM2 in the snow?

• HTML tutorial

Do you run BFG KM2 in the snow and has it been satisfactory?

• Yes I run/have run BFG KM2's in the snow and they DON'T work well

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

neatoneto

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey all,

Looking to buy a set of BFG KM2 Mud Terrains for my 04 Tacoma early next year along with a lift kit. I live in the Northeast and it is my daily driver although I only put 8-10k miles/year.

My question is have any of you had any success with the KM2's on your daily driver and/or in the snow?

Thanks!

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I got about 40,000 miles out of my KM2's . I only took them in the snow on purpose , seeing as I'm from CA . They were fine in the snow although I was always aired down low ...

Road noise was never an issue either , IMO.

FWIW I like my Goodyear MT/R's better...

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I ran my KM2's in snow and ice here in Canada. In less than 6" of snow with no ice they were fine, in more than 6" of snow they had a hard time with traction, or so it felt. I know you didn't ask, but in ice they were okay, not the best. All around though, good tire.

As for daily driver, they are loud and oddly get less MPG than my MTR/K's (both 35"). I happen to like tire howl though, so it wasn't a problem.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
I recently went from original BFG A/T's the BFG M/T KM and my next set of rubber will definitely be BFG A/T K02's. I'm not as happy as I thought I'd be with my mud terrains.

Chris Zawacki

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg, VA
Member #

I have had them on a few of my trucks in the snow and loved them. They dig through deep snow like its nothing. Obviously theyre not a "winter tire" so I would definitely change driving styles when driving in the snow but I have had very good luck with them.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I have had them on a few of my trucks in the snow and loved them. They dig through deep snow like its nothing. Obviously theyre not a "winter tire" so I would definitely change driving styles when driving in the snow but I have had very good luck with them.
How deep? I was in about 2ft of snow when I noticed them become less effective.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I'm on my 3rd set of KM2's. Daily driver ~45miles per day. Not much snow driving, but worked well when I did. 40k sounds about right in my experience.

E

expeditionnorth

I'm curious why you wouldn't get the KO2. They are great in everything, including snow.
I'm not on the band wagon with that idea, snow here in VT is terrible; they dont have enough bite in deep stuff IMHO
they self clear to some degree, but feel my old cooper at3's were better in the snow
I've felt my rear slide many times running these as opposed to an MT tire
here I had to make 2 runs with the BFG ATs to get through this drift, it was heavy, wet and iced over on the bottom
I went down the trail & struggled to get back up & out. I needed more bite

thejonchacon

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Chacon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QNC
Service Branch
US Air Force
Heres my take...my experience with mud terrain tires in winter weather has not been something I'd want to live with again, unless the vehicle came with them. Can they be used in snow? Yes. Do they have some traction in deep snow, yes. But honestly to me they just feel like driving on hockey pucks. I had the Bfg km2 and went to the wrangler duratracs and I will never buy a mud terrain again unless is for a dedicated off road vehicle. I would consider the cooper stt pro as the tread pattern is very close to the duractrac. Both have decent size lugs with deep siping. I would call both of them a hybrid tire... the cooper closer to a mud and the duratrac closer to an all terran. A new tire that seems very promising is the general x3. Soon to be released...

thejonchacon

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Chacon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QNC
Service Branch
US Air Force
Heres my take...my experience with mud terrain tires in winter weather has not been something I'd want to live with again, unless the vehicle came with them. Can they be used in snow? Yes. Do they have some traction in deep snow, yes. But honestly to me they just feel like driving on hockey pucks. I had the Bfg km2 and went to the wrangler duratracs and I will never buy a mud terrain again unless is for a dedicated off road vehicle. I would consider the cooper stt pro as the tread pattern is very close to the duractrac. Both have decent size lugs with deep siping. I would call both of them a hybrid tire... the cooper closer to a mud and the duratrac closer to an all terran. A new tire that seems very promising is the general x3. Soon to be released...
I live in Mammoth Lakes, CA. 8000-1200ft elevation and plenty of snow. So to me winter performance is on the top of my priorities. Good luck on you new tire hunt!

Reactions: expeditionnorth

neatoneto

Rank 0

Contributor I

Great info guys thanks!

The reason I want the KM2's are for the sizing, (255/85r16) thin and tall and I've always wanted a set of KM2's.

I am starting to lean more towards the Cooper Discoverer ST in that size OR the General AT2 in 285/75r16 size..

Although the KM2's look great I would prefer something that would be a best performer in the snow and has a good tread wear.

Ranger

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

If snow performance is your main concern, go duratracs. We run them on our patrol trucks here in Colorado. Really are impressive.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I'll second the recommendation for Duratracs with regards to snow performance.