Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I would say try to buy a used pair from someone upgrading tire size. This way they have some life left on them and it's a real quality tire. I'm sure everyone in this thread has been in your shoes at one point, but a good tire unfortunately isn't cheap. I had a pair of cheap tires when I was younger and I had a couple blow outs, I just hated it and won't do it again. I have a great relationship with a local tire shop and the manager will sell me some used tires or returns cheap when he has them. Might be worth checking out.
Absolutely, been in those/his shoes a way back when, while the kids were home and growing up. Used tires can be quite a bargain. I always have had great success putting my used ones on Craig's list, and they're gone by the weekend.. Before that, seems like a lifetime ago, I'd either by used or bite the bullet. Once, when we were really broke I bought a set of 4 matching Goodyear all weather treaded recaps for our sedan. Surprisingly they lasted about 35k miles..

E

expeditionnorth

I'm running the BFG AT's they're great my only complaint is they dont clear snow very well unlike my cooper AT3's did
their sidewall is insanely tough
I'd like to try the STT's next, just my 2 sense haha

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

I have 2 sets of Ko2's one on the 4Runner and one on the FJ. Quiet on the road and excellent traction, I was running Terragrapplers AT's but they were slick on the raid when it rained, now issue with the KOs. But, with airing down and back up I found the tires are very difficult to have balanced. I also heard from another Overlander that he had issues getting his new set balanced, something about an older lot number, been sitting on the shelf too long. I'm pleased with the strength of the sidewalls, no punctures, but the jury is still out for me. Miles will tell. I have about 25k on my 4Runners now and they are wearing excellent.

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
I looked at KO2s vs Duratracs, ended up getting the duratracs, since cost was about $50 less per tire. I also like the more aggressive looking sidewall (petty and stupid, but whatever).
I have about 20k on them so far, pretty good. They do start getting noisy when it's time to rotate(~10k). I don't know if this is common or not with other offroad tires. I will say they are much noisier than the stock Goodyear All Terrain adventure tires, but traction is much better.
In the snow they seemed pretty solid. I was able to get out of my very steep driveway with about 2ft of heavy wet spring snow... Took a few attempts to rock the truck back and forth, packing some snow down, but I was able to get out without any shoveling.

GeneralJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Lahti, Finland
Member #

I believe that climate and driving style has a lot on that which tyre works better. I had this same problem, didn't know should I buy KO2, Duratrac or something else. Finally I had a chance to try them both and after that desided to go with Duratracs.

Duratrac's thread pattern cleans itself better in mud and especially snow and slush and softer compound also grips better in ice. Duratracs seem to be a bit softer material than Goodrich which is also, because of harder compound, louder on pavement.

Here, where I live, more than two thirds of year is mixed with slush, snow and ice and last third or less is summer. Temperatures range between -31°F to 95°F. Summer is nice, last year it was tuesday.

In soft sand I believe KO2's are better but since most of Finland's roads are eather pavement or gravel and there are very limited amount of places where you end up driving in soft beach sand, so my choice was Duratrac. If you are wheeling with aggressive drive style or driving a lot in sand then KO2 is the way to go.

Last edited:

Chris Zawacki

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg, VA
Member #

After years of being in the tire industry, working at tire shops I am a BFG guy all the way. I noticed they lasted longer, wore more evenly, balanced out much easier and were quieter than Goodyears

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Duratrac's thread pattern cleans itself better in mud and especially snow and slush and softer compound also grips better in ice. Duratracs seem to be a bit softer material than Goodrich which is also, because of harder compound, louder on pavement.

I'm sorry, I don't like being a curmudgeon, but sometimes I gotta speak up about the one tire or another "gripping on ice" comment that so many seem to believe. In my former life I drove an average of 140,000 miles a year, spanning a 25 year career. Because my runs from Pennsylvania included St Johns, Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal and the Toronto region, I averaged roughly 20 to 30 thousand miles a year on snow covered roads. To my point. There is not a tire made that "grips" on ice, period. To think that one brand performs better on ice than another is a complete fallacy. There are only three ways to deal with "ice" covered roads. Studded tires, tire chains, or park it. I always chose to Park It, whenever I was able. Once again, sorry for being the curmudgeon on this issue, and no insults are implied or intended, but this sort of mis-information has, on many occasion, lead to vehicle damage, serious injury or death. I cannot even begin to count the number of folks in 4x4s that actually believed they had good traction on snow or ice, that I saw off in the ditch, rolled over, or worse, passing an 18 wheeler, spinning out and getting hit. All avoidable and all very sad. Thanks, and have a safe day.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

I had Goodyear Duratracs when I first got my Jeep. They drove well through snow and mud. Even rocky surfaces. I then got BFG KO2 in one inch taller 33". I have had them for about 12,000 miles now and would never look back. First day owning them they were much quieter, handled way better, and go through mud better. Hasn't snowed quite yet but I have a good feeling about them! Also I think the tread wears a lot slower. Only lost 1/32 on these 12,000 miles. Also I like the piece of mind knowing my sidewalls won't get punctured as easily. I pinched a tire on a tight turn on a tiny stump maybe 3" in diameter sticking out about the size of the sidewall and nothing happened. Just a scuff on the rubber.

I heard the old KO would hydro plain real bad. These don't what so ever. I was surprised but I was able to hold about 60mph in a torrential downpour and didn't feel it once get out of control.

I can't say enough great things about these tires. I'm a firm believer in them and will buy them over and over.

t3qrunner

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

Had KO2s on my 100-Series, and have them on my 5th Gen. Highway comfortable, off-road capable so far. Highly recommend.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Have had BFG K0 and K02 on my Burb and the new K02s perform much better in snow and the sidewalls are much more thicker and a little more piece of mind off-road. Havent tried in mud but imagine the new design will do better. As comfortable and quite just a better tire than the originals.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
I will mention that BFG does a huge amount of r&d Offroad on their KO2 and KM2s. All you have to look is at their racing background. Head down to any Offroad desert race or and you will find most vehicles equipped with BFG or Toyos. From our buggies on 33-35s to TT on 800hp spinning those 40" tires.
We do a huge amount of testing on these tires every year before they release to the puplic.
The KO2s have proven they can stand a 1000 mile Offroad race, they will do just fine in your DD or dedicated trail rig haha
We got to run the KO2s in the baja 1000 back in 2013 and give feedback before they released it to the public in '14.
Side note... get excited to see the KM3 soon.. testing has already begun, will look like the ko2 sidewall patter mated to the km2 M/t

Reactions: scubasteve2002

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I have the General Grabber AT2's and I absolutely love them. Last winter I ran them through their paces in the snow up in Tahoe and was amazed! For me it was between the General's and the KO2s. I saved about $300 going with the General's. My friends Raptor has the KO2s and swears by them.

Not the best picture. The road conditions from Incline Village to Spooner Lake was icy and snowing the whole time, and I never lost grip. We also drove through 2 feet of snow without getting stuck.
I'm on my second set of General Grabber's and I love them. They're a great alternative to BFG AT KO's and in my opinion, ride better. I'm also a huge fan of Nitto Terra Grapplers, but not knowing how long my current rig would last - I didn't feel like taking a second mortgage on my house to get them!

Reactions: Crispy

JohnM

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've had both the KO was horrible in the snow but lasted forever actual they dry rotted long before the tread wear became an issue. The GY where awesome in the snow and had pretty decent tread wear. They performed well in the sand and on wet roads, they would never be considered a mud tire but did ok.