Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
They performed great during the Baja 1000 on all our 10 cars. Expect release date to be early 2018.

I will also be in Baja again in November and will see if any changes have been made from last years test run. Will take pictures then and give feedback

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Arizona Overland

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

They performed great during the Baja 1000 on all our 10 cars. Expect release date to be early 2018.

I will also be in Baja again in November and will see if any changes have been made from last years test run. Will take pictures then and give feedback

How do you think they will hold up for everyday use?

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
How do you think they will hold up for everyday use?
Being that it was somewhat of a test tire I felt the compound in the lugs were very soft. Too soft for street and I'm sure that will change with the release of the public tire.
That being said I think they will be a great tire. So far people are really liking the K02 and sidewalk improvements, the KM3 will have the new sidewall with a chance in center lugs. This will make the tire heavier than the KM2, but I'm ok with it for more overall strength.

I'm not claiming this is the best tire ever, there are other great brands out there that perform great and do well were these or others may lack. I see people say K02s don't do great in very icy areas and that's probably true. Being in CA that doesn't affect me in any way.

Back to KM3s, these tires are getting the same hard treatment from BFG in various applications to see how thy perform.
I have to give it to BFG for really having a big part in the Offroad industry and creating tires that fit those areas. They have give these to Jeeps for rock crawling to testing in Baja racing and highway miles.
I may be bias here but seeing how much BFG spends in time and money on development for an Offroad tire blows my mind. Having dedicated tires for rock crawling, rally, desert racing makes for a huge amount of data and feedback from those areas. Then go and make a AT and Mt to meet in the middle for your average vehicle we all drive.
For some background living in 'norcal' I've run a few slow crawling trail, and I think the popular tires seen are MTRs, Toyos, and KM2s. They all do great in these trails and rocks, I've ran MTRs on my previous jeep and loved them! They got me plenty of traction thru rubicon at 8psi, deep snow at 5psi, and the Baja silt at 25psi.
And then I went to chase in Baja for a few years now..,. holy cra* what a test ground for equipment that is! Between 800-1100 miles of rattle and brake anything loose terrain. Highway, sand, silt, rock gardens, huge rocks, mud, etc all in one race, all while doing 5-100+mph, all in 2wd. So tires have to hold to some absurd abuse.
This is where I like manufacturers putting their products to the test. Main players we see are Toyo and BFG, Toyo makes a damn good MT for the weekend warrior or dedicated offroad rig.
I think these KM3s will do the same and do great on our daily vehicles. They have held up to some serious abuse for over a year on offroad vehicles and I will be getting a set once my KM2s wear out.

Sorry for the long post and not sure I wrote down correctly what I had in my head. In concluding thoughts, yes I think they will hold up for everyday use

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Being that it was somewhat of a test tire I felt the compound in the lugs were very soft. Too soft for street and I'm sure that will change with the release of the public tire.
That being said I think they will be a great tire. So far people are really liking the K02 and sidewalk improvements, the KM3 will have the new sidewall with a chance in center lugs. This will make the tire heavier than the KM2, but I'm ok with it for more overall strength.

I'm not claiming this is the best tire ever, there are other great brands out there that perform great and do well were these or others may lack. I see people say K02s don't do great in very icy areas and that's probably true. Being in CA that doesn't affect me in any way.

Back to KM3s, these tires are getting the same hard treatment from BFG in various applications to see how thy perform.
I have to give it to BFG for really having a big part in the Offroad industry and creating tires that fit those areas. They have give these to Jeeps for rock crawling to testing in Baja racing and highway miles.
I may be bias here but seeing how much BFG spends in time and money on development for an Offroad tire blows my mind. Having dedicated tires for rock crawling, rally, desert racing makes for a huge amount of data and feedback from those areas. Then go and make a AT and Mt to meet in the middle for your average vehicle we all drive.
For some background living in 'norcal' I've run a few slow crawling trail, and I think the popular tires seen are MTRs, Toyos, and KM2s. They all do great in these trails and rocks, I've ran MTRs on my previous jeep and loved them! They got me plenty of traction thru rubicon at 8psi, deep snow at 5psi, and the Baja silt at 25psi.
And then I went to chase in Baja for a few years now..,. holy cra* what a test ground for equipment that is! Between 800-1100 miles of rattle and brake anything loose terrain. Highway, sand, silt, rock gardens, huge rocks, mud, etc all in one race, all while doing 5-100+mph, all in 2wd. So tires have to hold to some absurd abuse.
This is where I like manufacturers putting their products to the test. Main players we see are Toyo and BFG, Toyo makes a damn good MT for the weekend warrior or dedicated offroad rig.
I think these KM3s will do the same and do great on our daily vehicles. They have held up to some serious abuse for over a year on offroad vehicles and I will be getting a set once my KM2s wear out.

Sorry for the long post and not sure I wrote down correctly what I had in my head. In concluding thoughts, yes I think they will hold up for everyday use

Thanx for the write up. I appreciate it.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I don't care what tire people end up on, but if you do regularly find yourself in snow/ice I strongly recommend a set of snow tires.

I currently have some of the older Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors, but I plan to get KO2 next (in 18" wheels). But in winter I use my factory 19" wheels with stock sized Blizzak DM-V2. No comparison on snow use. My Land Rover LR4 is heavy, so it takes more to stop it on slick roads. (I can also run z-chains on the stock sized snows if I need)

I also have Blizzaks on my AWD Infiniti G35x, its amazing how much the weight impacts getting around on snow. The G35x feels safer to drive, but has very wimpy vulnerable body panels.. so now with all the steel bumpers going on the rover, I almost want that for moron protection.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I've had both the KO was horrible in the snow but lasted forever actual they dry rotted long before the tread wear became an issue. The GY where awesome in the snow and had pretty decent tread wear. They performed well in the sand and on wet roads, they would never be considered a mud tire but did ok.
Not my experience at all with the K02, K02 yes even in the rain they were very good. Run them up in Tahoe the last two seasons they felt good even had to do an emergency stop in snow and I hooked so no compliant here. Love them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Have used Duratracs since 2013, no punctures or issues of any kind. Even with my 2nd set reduced to only 2ply and Chinese fabrication. Faultless grip on and off road. Think i got about 95,000km out of the first set. Although for the next set I am considering something heavier as my overlanding vehicle is no longer a daily drive and we intend on more remote and more solo travel...heavier, further.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I don't care what tire people end up on, but if you do regularly find yourself in snow/ice I strongly recommend a set of snow tires.

I currently have some of the older Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors, but I plan to get KO2 next (in 18" wheels). But in winter I use my factory 19" wheels with stock sized Blizzak DM-V2. No comparison on snow use. My Land Rover LR4 is heavy, so it takes more to stop it on slick roads. (I can also run z-chains on the stock sized snows if I need)

I also have Blizzaks on my AWD Infiniti G35x, its amazing how much the weight impacts getting around on snow. The G35x feels safer to drive, but has very wimpy vulnerable body panels.. so now with all the steel bumpers going on the rover, I almost want that for moron protection.
That's good advice. Up in Quebec it is the law. Decemner 15th to March 15th all non-commercial vehicles must have snow tires. What's really cool is that when you purchase a new auto, part of the package will be a set of snow tires mounted on steel wheels to take home with you.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Just to stir the pot, While great, unless there is winter and wet off road testing, all this desert and dry climate testing does nothing for me in Minnesota. And no, testing in a fresh snowfall is not "winter weather" testing.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Just to stir the pot, While great, unless there is winter and wet off road testing, all this desert and dry climate testing does nothing for me in Minnesota. And no, testing in a fresh snowfall is not "winter weather" testing.
Yes good point, they do test them in those conditions but as far as I know not in a racing scenario. Since BFG makes specialized winter racing tires.
Like I said earlier if you live in certain parts of the country you'll have two sets of tires anyways.
Someone will have to pitch in on how they like them living in northern states.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Yes good point, they do test them in those conditions but as far as I know not in a racing scenario. Since BFG makes specialized winter racing tires.
Like I mentioned earlier if you live in certain parts of the country lots of these AT and MT aren't the best in icy roads. I think you'll have two sets of tires anyways if you are DD they vehicle.

Someone will have to pitch in on how they like them living in northern states.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

The reason for the desert and HOT dry climate testing is to develop durability.

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have used the Duratracs on my LandCruiser for a few years, first set was 3ply sidewalls and made in America, no punctures, had about 70,000km range. Great grip on and offroad (sand, rock, gravel, mud)

Second set are unfortunately only 2ply and made in Asia. No punctures thus far though and maintain great grip on and offroad (sand, rock, gravel, mud)

Next set I am considering BFG or Toyo for the sidewall peace of mind, as well as a 255 profile.

JK_pix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lincoln, Nebraska
First Name
Vishal
Last Name
Singh
Member #

I used to run BFG AT KO's on my JKU. They were still going strong with 67k miles on them so I gave them to a friend. I decided to switch to Goodyear Duratracs. I've had these on my vehicle for nearly 4 years now. They have around 48k miles on them. Here is my comparison and then I'll comment on which tires I'll be getting as a replacement.

The BFG's worked fairly well in just about all weather and traction settings other than deep mud and snow. The Duratracs have a little better traction in all situations in comparison. However, they are a little bit louder. The Duratracs however don't balance nearly as well as the BFG's. Next time, I'm switching back to BFG's and will go with the KO2's.

Last edited:

JohnM

Rank 0

Traveler I

I like my Falken AT/3w P285/70/17 they are quiet, very reasonable priced and worked well on the beach. I wont be able to give a review on who they work in the snow to January.

Reactions: Jimmy P

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I used to run BFG AT KO's on my JKU. They were still going strong with 67k miles on them so I gave them to a friend. I decided to switch to Goodyear Duratracs. I've had these on my vehicle for nearly 4 years now. They have around 48k miles on them. Here is my comparison and then I'll comment on which tires I'll be getting as a replacement.

The BFG's worked fairly well in just about all weather and traction settings other than deep mud and snow. The Duratracs have a little better traction in all situations in comparison. However, they are a little bit louder. The Duratracs however don't balance nearly as well as the BFG's. Next time, I'm switching ack to BFG's and will go with the KO2's.
Yes, the BFG KO2 balance out nicely.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Just swapped my Goodyear MT/Rs out for BFG KO2s. Both are 315/70/17 on a modded JKUR. The MT/Rs are loud on the street but grip very well in dirt, sand, and on rocks. I was disappointed to see the KO2 runs pretty small. They're a way smaller diameter than the MT/Rs in the "same" size. I had to reprogram my Jeep with the AEV dongle again since the KO2s were a tiny 33-1/4" as measured on the Jeep at 40psi. MT/Rs were around 34" at least. Maybe more. The KO2s drive so nice on the road though. Great road feel and low noise. Haven't hit the trail yet, since I just got the KO2s.

I think I'll keep the pricey Kevlar sidewall equipped MT/Rs and get a second set of wheels for them. They're outstandng, but just too noisy for daily road use. Not snow rated either.

Reactions: ntx377