Best Places to OL in NC?

• HTML tutorial

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Great thread idea, I'm curious as well. I've backpacked a lot in NC, but I'm new to overlanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EP34FR

Rank I

Traveler I

I ran across that trail the other day on youtube. I'm not looking to do any technical trails yet, and that trail looked like it would be pretty easy.

How is the camping in that area? Any spots along the trail to pull off and camp?

Reactions: kopper99

kopper99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indian Trail, NC, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Klemas
Member #

Search hurricane Creek trail on YouTube and there 2 videos from a guy called NC off-road. They got some good tents set up so I'm guessing so. I've never been. Also have a buddy going this week and he's going to fill me in. I know the trail is 8 miles long

Reactions: Mtngrown

EP34FR

Rank I

Traveler I

Gotchya. Yea, I've seen some videos of folks camping, but wasn't sure if that was on/near the trail or not.

Give me a report after you complete it, if you don't mind. Another question I have is...will my full size, Ram 1500 Rebel be too big for the trail. Most of the videos I see are of Jeeps and other small 4WD's. Not sure if the trail is too tight/narrow for a full sized truck.

Reactions: kopper99

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Hurricane Creek only takes a few hours to run if you take it slow... the one camping spot I know of is right on the trail next to a creek. Visit Max Patch while you are there awesome views.

When are you guys going?

kopper99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indian Trail, NC, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Klemas
Member #

Hurricane Creek only takes a few hours to run if you take it slow... the one camping spot I know of is right on the trail next to a creek. Visit Max Patch while you are there awesome views.

When are you guys going?
I am planning October 18 19 20. Either one of the nights or both if anyone else has any ideas I'm all ears. I'm bringing the wife and dogs so nothing too crazy

Reactions: SnailBlazer

MacsDaddy

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Reidsville, NC
Member #

The trail may pose a problem in a full-size truck. About Midway through it gets tight with briers and bushes.. If you don't have an issue with trail striping you will be good.

sent from two turntables and a microphone. #7752

TRAYNC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland, NC
First Name
Travis
Last Name
R
Member #

Id be curious about the camping options around there, first time ive heard of that trail but id like to check it out.

mabe855

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rural Hall, NC
Member #

I will be following this thread as well. New to the forum and the only place near me I was aware of is Uhwarrie. I did check out the videos of Gorges State Park. I wish the park websites provided better detail. The trail I saw on youtube for Gorge State Park is not really mentioned on the website. Looks like a great spot.

Sir William Goes

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lexington, SC
Member #

That area is awesome and tons of camping. I've taken stock 4runner and stock Tacoma through hurricane Creek and Max patch is beautiful. If you don't want striping you can take the Forest Rd that's the next exit from hurricane Creek trail or travel through Harmon den system. Here is a new group I started just for sharing trails and campsites

https://www.facebook.com/groups/117132722405979/

I put some trails in there for around this area. I have more coming

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

mabe855

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rural Hall, NC
Member #

That area is awesome and tons of camping. I've taken stock 4runner and stock Tacoma through hurricane Creek and Max patch is beautiful. If you don't want striping you can take the Forest Rd that's the next exit from hurricane Creek trail or travel through Harmon den system. Here is a new group I started just for sharing trails and campsites

https://www.facebook.com/groups/117132722405979/

I put some trails in there for around this area. I have more coming

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. I'll def check out the Facebook Group.