Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I have a 99 Suburban which I lifted 4” and now run 33’s on 15” rims. The 350 cid engine is as reliable as morning. I just did a first tune up at 185,000. The 3rd row pops out in a few minutes without tools and provides 9’ of flat with the second row folded. I camp in it, tow with it, work out of it and get groceries with it. While it is wide and long And not as nimble as some other wheelers I find it perfect for me. My wife wants me to replace it with a new one but I refuse. Good luck with your decision.
You guys who wheel a Suburban or especially an Excursion mentioned before must be on different trails than I’m on! I’ve owned a ‘97 Suburban and an ‘01 Yukon XL. The XL had 345k on it when we sold it and I would have driven it anywhere. As you mentioned, phenomenal vehicles, but they’re HUGE! They certainly will haul all you need as long as it fits on the trail. I loved that they had plenty of room BEHIND the 3rd row, instead of room with the third row down/out.

P. S. Keep your current rig for yourself, but get your wife the next generation suburban/XL (‘00-‘06). They’re much more plush and less truck like. She deserves it!

Last edited:

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

It is sooo hard to even think of new when you have a nice rig that is paid for. Our 03 Expedition payment is a whopping $110/month, so there is no way I would even think of new, even if we could afford it.

James

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
I would have a hard time looking at anything that isn't a Tahoe or Suburban. They are super reliable, when they do need work the parts are cheap and everywhere. A burb will have room for 7 people a Tahoe will have room for 5 and gear, none will fit 7 people particularly comfortably especially on rough roads. both can be lifted easily and will thke 33's easily and 35's without too much trouble. Both can be had with the G8O rear locker. As far as rust goes they are average in holding out, really depends where it spent it's life. The only bad thing I really can say about them is that they go through ball joints and water pumps. They sometimes need a power steering pump between 120000 and 150000. aside from the size they are actually quite good vehicles.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I think I’ve read that the third row in the Expedition is more comfy than the Suburban... We had a 1998 Suburban briefly, but it broke often so we got rid of it, and I don’t remember about the legroom in it...

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I would have a hard time looking at anything that isn't a Tahoe or Suburban. They are super reliable, when they do need work the parts are cheap and everywhere.
I felt the same way 10 years ago, now I just find them too big. I disagree on the price of parts. I always found them to be surprisingly high, given the billions of vehicles on the roads that shared the same parts!

I think I’ve read that the third row in the Expedition is more comfy than the Suburban... We had a 1998 Suburban briefly, but it broke often so we got rid of it, and I don’t remember about the legroom in it...
Funny how that works in reverse for some people. I’ve owned two fords, non-stop repairs, but it taught me a lesson.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
How many owners had the Ford’s been through before they got to you? I’ve had excellent experience with one owner cars, and with cars I’ve bought new.
No idea, I bought the first because it was a killer deal on a ‘76 Bronco (I’d love to have that back now that I could afford to fix it up). The other was given to me because they were sick of fixing it. Neither where anywhere new or one owner. I don’t buy new, I pay cash. We drive nice cars, but they are older. Other than my 1960 Chevy pickup street rod I don’t own a domestic anymore. In my experience people have selective memory, me included, when it comes to vehicles. They gloss over the little stuff with their preferred brand, but remember EVERYTHING when they step outside that brand. I wasn’t trying to pick on Ford, it’s just the only domestic brand I’ve had outside my Chevrolet upbringing.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I understand. Your comments help put things in perspective because you were talking about cars that are quite old. My comments above were highlighting a 1998 Suburban that had been through many owners, and probably not well taken care of. My 2003 Expedition, and 2006 F150 were both one owner cars that were taken care of, and have been excellent... :):):)

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I understand. Your comments help put things in perspective because you were talking about cars that are quite old. My comments above were highlighting a 1998 Suburban that had been through many owners, and probably not well taken care of. My 2003 Expedition, and 2006 F150 were both one owner cars that were taken care of, and have been excellent... :):):)
Yeah, my friends brand new eco-boost f-150 that quit with less than 15k on it was not what I’d consider old though. Your a Ford guy, that’s OK, my experience is different than yours based on my own prejudice.

Last edited:

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Honestly, I’m a whatever is faithful to me kinda guy. I had a 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 1-ton Dually Duramax and it was a pile... great engine and tranny, but the GM build quality was poor and it broke in $100 bills each month... If my Fords fail I will ditch them and find something else... incidently our other car is a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer, original owner, with 250k miles on it, and it has been neary flawless...

What happened with the EcoBoost? (I’m a big fan of the simple Triton V8, not really into turbos and extra junk)

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

If you like the Commanders, you'll want either the 08+ 4.7L (added 70 HP & 44 lb-ft of Torque), plus a bunch off reliability improvements to the engine, but, very tough to find that engine with the QDII 4WD system. Like was said earlier, 09-10 got similar improvements to the Hemi, which is very commonly mated to the QDII. I've owned my 08 4.7L for 10 years, 155k miles with only $600 in non-maintenance repairs. I do have some repairs coming, but again, they're wear & tear items. So far mine's been amazing.

Reactions: Arailt

Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
Thanks for all the input from everyone involved, but plans have changed. Looks like we will be staying for at least another 3 years till son is going into high school and have decided to go a different route. Will keep everyone’s suggestions in mind if something changes though.

Again thanks for all the input.

OLFLA59

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Florida
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Serrano
I have to say that my 2007 LR3 is a fantastic vehicle. All of the rear seats fold down flat and will hold a double air mattress. The third row will fit 2 adults comfortably. I am 6'2" and have room for my knees. The rear A/C is great and the vehicle is extremely capable.

Sent from my SM-G935VC using OB Talk mobile app
Hi Brutus, I'm new to overlanding and living in South Florida. I'm considering purchasing my first LR but want to know which one is easiset to work on yourself even if
I'v never own or worked on a land rover? Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Reactions: Brutus

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Hi Brutus, I'm new to overlanding and living in South Florida. I'm considering purchasing my first LR but want to know which one is easiset to work on yourself even if
I'v never own or worked on a land rover? Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Easiest to work on yourself is a Range Rover Classic, Defender, or Discovery 1 due to simple mechanicals and little required technology. Questionable if they are the best for your particular needs, but certainly the easiest to work on yourself.

Reactions: OLFLA59

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
They’re no different than any other modern vehicle. If your getting an LR3 (or other vehicles it’s comparable with) I strongly suggest you get a GAP tools OBDII dongle. They’re not cheap, but they are pro level and invaluable if you wrench on it yourself.

OLFLA59

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Florida
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Serrano
They’re no different than any other modern vehicle. If your getting an LR3 (or other vehicles it’s comparable with) I strongly suggest you get a GAP tools OBDII dongle. They’re not cheap, but they are pro level and invaluable if you wrench on it yourself.
Thank you Brutus.

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
I have an explorer at this time it’s my wife’s but I am driving it until I can replace my Jeep that was totaled a little while ago due to a teenager in another vehicle not paying attention. Anyway the explorer has a third row seat it drives me crazy because there is very little storage space behind it. I also drive a expedition a regular basis at work the storage behind the third row is excellent and the third row seats disappear in seconds to create a quite large flat area

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

I love my 4x4 Sprinter. Fuel economy is better than what I was getting with my JK Rubicon. It'll seat up to 8 people with the 2 person bed installed. With out the bed it seats 12.

I did a weekend mountain bike trip with 5 buddies ( 6 drivers total) We left the San Francisco Bay Area at 3:30 in the afternoon and arrived in Moab for breakfast at 8am the next day. With six drivers, 2 bench seats, a bed in the back and reclining front passenger seat, we all arrived rested and ready to ride all day. Everyone only had to drive one 2-1/2 hour shift each. We rode two days straight and drove through the night to get home in time to mow the lawn on Sunday. We all can't wait to do it again!IMG_1025597.JPG

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I will answer an 05 ish body style suburban. I owned one. Mine was neglected by my father before I bought it from him. That being said, I miss the crap out of that rig. I hated it at first, but it grew on me. My ideal driveway would be my JK unlimited, a lifted 05 suburban z71 and my wifes Jeep patriot. I vote suburban all the way.