Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

My wife's daily driver is a Commander with the Hemi. It is a fantastic vehicle. It performs and handles like a much smaller vehicle (probably because it shares a lot with the same year Grand Cherokees) and is a very comfortable ride on-road. It has handled well on cruddy Forest Service roads with Bridgestone Deuler AT Revos. The gas consumption is terrible, but we didn't expect 40 mpg with a Hemi. Fortunately we don't put many miles on it, so gas isn't that big of a deal.

As mentioned, the third row is not comfortable for all but children and there is no space behind the third seat when it is in use. Like others, we mainly keep the third row folded down for gear or dogs and only use it when going someplace local with the kids' friends.

Definitely look into aftermarket part availability as part of your decision. Some of those models have virtually no aftermarket parts, so you might run into trouble if looking for bolt-on parts, like bumpers or even suspension lifts.

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

something to think about , just because it seats 7 doesn't mean 7 people can comfortably fit in it . a lot of 3rd row seats would only fit a child with no legs and a lot of rigs the third row seat takes up all the cargo room .My friend has a 04 tahoe and he gave me and 4 friends a ride up to a trailhead for a week backpacking trip and 2 of us had to have our packs on our lap because there wasn't enough room behind the seats . If you need room get all the room you can .
Smiley is right. I've sat in the 3rd row... I'm a big guy....had to fold myself in... as Louis C.K. says, it's like trying to fold a bowling ball.... then I couldn't move..... the 3rd row is best for kids under 100 lbs IMHO

Sent from my SM-G920T using OB Talk mobile app

Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
Again thanks for all the replies.

Luckily the 3rd row would only be used when traveling local with the kids friends or when family comes into town and when family comes it is usually only 2 at a time for some reason. Also, my kids have been "blessed" with being small for there age(I am only 5'2"), so the 3rd row on all the vehicles on the list will be fine for them.

Boort, They are hard to find in certain areas, and was looking in the areas that might happen in the next couple of months if everything lines up. If not, we know we will be moving in the next 1.5 years back to the mainland. Would love to live in Denver, it has been a place I have always wanted to go and have never really known why.

Megadoomer, I already know that whatever I get will not have a sunroof. My WJ had a sunroof that leaked and I thought I had fixed it, but one day while cleaning it out I noticed a small puddle behind the driver's seats. Apparently it was leaking from the left back and was dripping on the back of the driver's seat so I didn't notice. So no sunroofs for me.

ndamico and Arailt, Thanks for the info on the Discos. I have always loved the look and feel of the Disco II, but only had experience with new, under 15K miles ones with the rental industry. Didn't realize the problems till I started doing research, but would still pick one up if it was the right price. And didn't even consider an LR4, was looking for something that I could possible buy outright, but have been given the OK to get a note for the right vehicle if need be.

For all those suggesting 4x4 vans, as much as I think they are cool and would love one, the financial department(Wife) has said under no uncertain terms will she allow one of those in the driveway/garage/property. She is cool with the idea of the SUV and the purpose for it, but refuses to let me even contemplate a 4x4 van.

The biggest thing I was trying to accomplish in this thread is finding info on the 3rd row seat capability for these vehicles, which was accomplished. Since if memory serves correctly most of the vehicles on my list that I have experience with have a 3rd row that folds flat, and the ones that I had no experience with(Sequoia, LC/LX, GX, LR3, and Commander) I have gotten answers to the 3rd row. Looks like with most of them the 3rd row folds flat, and the ones that don't fold flat are easily removed/reinstalled. Which means they are all viable options, so to narrow down will just have to see what the wife and kids think of each vehicle, and yes I don't want a vehicle the kids don't like since the purpose is to get them out of the house and into nature.

So again, thanks for all the replies and info. Will hopefully be able to made a build thread in the next 1.5 years and maybe see some of you of the beaten trail.

Reactions: Arailt

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

If you are in Denver and the PNW, you probably won’t be on anything too crazy tight/muddy like back east. Most likely more open, forest service roads and high dessert, correct?

I love our 2003 Ford Expedition short wheelbase. Seats 7 adults comfortably, 3:73 rear end with LSD, AWD mode, 4hi, 4lo. I have a 2” spacer lift, and about 31” Goodyear Duratracs. It has been awesome everywhere. The 5.4L Triton has no trouble with the weight of the vehicle and I know it can tow whatever I need it to, plus it was a one owner with 135k miles for about $5500 last year.

You might consider it...

Build thread:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2003-ford-expedition-full-size-overland-build.11553/

James

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
something to think about , just because it seats 7 doesn't mean 7 people can comfortably fit in it . a lot of 3rd row seats would only fit a child with no legs and a lot of rigs the third row seat takes up all the cargo room .My friend has a 04 tahoe and he gave me and 4 friends a ride up to a trailhead for a week backpacking trip and 2 of us had to have our packs on our lap because there wasn't enough room behind the seats . If you need room get all the room you can .
Suburban FTW!! Even with the 3rd row up, there's STILL almost a fullsize cargo space in the rear.

From what I've read on various boards and car reviews, anything less than a fullsize will generally have a kids-only 3rd row, unless you go with some sort of crossover. I sat in the 3rd row of my aunt's Arcadia and it was very comfy. Unfortunately those are FWD based crossovers and unreliable AF.

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

Fzj80/lx450. I’ve had both and currently in a 96 FZJ80. Plenty of room for when family visits and you need a seven seater. Third row pops out quickly to make room for gear and a sleeping platform. Mine has 253k on it and I’ll drive to Florida tomorrow I without thinking about it. Toyota’s are Super reliable as long as you maintain it. Oh, and you can’t beat the cd/cassette combo either! In the end, figure out what you plan to do with it off road and then make your decision. You may not need a solid front axle and lockers for what you plan to do.

Rrrtaz

Rank 0

Traveler I

I might be a little late on this since it's over a month old, but I didn't see any mention of a Dodge Durango as an option. I'm on my second one and love them. The 3rd row folds flat for storage and the actually do fairly well off road. Aftermarket stuff is a bit limited unfortunately. No lift available for the 200-03 , but there is a 5.5" for the 98-99 models. I wouldn't recommend the 2nd Gen, they seem to be a glorified minivan, but the gen1 is a capable and durable rig. My 98 pretty much saved my life when someone in too much of a hurry on an icy road crossed 3 lanes and hit me head on.

DrRobert

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bristow, VA
Member #

I've got a 2012 Suburban LTZ - love this vehicle. It's tough, durable and has all the comforts of home (heated and cooled seats, etc.). I don't overland with the third row seats typically so they get pulled (easily) to make room for my kits and I carry a ton of stuff. The V8 is super powerful and I use E85 which is a huge octane boost over regular (or even premium) but it's not always easy to find and Apps to help you find it are only 50% accurate. But since this Suburban will burn just about any kind of fuel and parts are plentiful just about anywhere it makes for a robust solution. Good luck in your choice! As they say here at Overland Bound, "it doesn't matter what you drive", although I've found it important to customize your rig to your needs.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I’ve owned, or considered many of the vehicles on that list. It really depends if/how you want to build the vehicle. I currently own, and love, an ‘06 LR3. It’s my DD, comfortable enough to travel from Utah to Minnesota, 2nd and 3rd row both fold completely flat, one of the most capable on that list in stock form, gets decent mileage for a 7 passenger V8, good aftermarket support for off-roading parts. You are limited to just under a 33” tire if you keep the air suspension. A few of the vehicles on the list will have similar limitations. Toyota’s are great, but for MY taste they’re overpriced and as interesting as plain white toast. The wife comments earlier are valid as my wife did not care for the armada or commander interiors. We had an ‘04 Disco II and probably still would if it didn’t develop a slipped liner which was more common on 04 and 03. However my 3 blows it out of the water in almost every way.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Brutus

Brutus

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mobile, Alabama
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Bell
Member #

I have to say that my 2007 LR3 is a fantastic vehicle. All of the rear seats fold down flat and will hold a double air mattress. The third row will fit 2 adults comfortably. I am 6'2" and have room for my knees. The rear A/C is great and the vehicle is extremely capable.

Sent from my SM-G935VC using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: OLFLA59

Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
Would love a LR but unfortunately the wife doesn’t like them and speaking of the other half, she really only likes the GM products and the new Armada. Thankfully I also like both, just can’t decide which generation of the GM products I like most. Wife says the newer the better but I like the older body styles better.

Just can’t wait to get back to the mainland so I can travel again, never realized how much I would miss being able to drive 2 hours and be somewhere different till I moved here.

Reactions: Brutus and DrRobert

Alaska.hermit

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger II

Wasilla, Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Morriss
Member #

Service Branch
Us Army (retired)
We have both an excursion and a commander. If I actually want to take more the two people out with me the commander is a no go.
The excursion has the inside room for people and some gear. It has a significantly stronger suspension and handles off the road better.
The one area the commander beats the excursion(if you need 7 seats) is the length. It can get in and out of tight spaces easier.

We have driven up and down the ALCAN several time with the whole family in the excursion and where very comfortable.
Just drove from Fairbanks to Homer and back with my wife and only three of our kids. I won’t do that long of a trip with just the commander and the kids unles I absolutely have to again.
On the other hand my wife drove the commander from Chicago to Fairbanks solo......and loved it.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
We have both an excursion and a commander. If I actually want to take more the two people out with me the commander is a no go.
The excursion has the inside room for people and some gear. It has a significantly stronger suspension and handles off the road better.
The one area the commander beats the excursion(if you need 7 seats) is the length. It can get in and out of tight spaces easier.

We have driven up and down the ALCAN several time with the whole family in the excursion and where very comfortable.
Just drove from Fairbanks to Homer and back with my wife and only three of our kids. I won’t do that long of a trip with just the commander and the kids unles I absolutely have to again.
On the other hand my wife drove the commander from Chicago to Fairbanks solo......and loved it.
Good to know, I have been interested in the commander for a while, and almost got one for the wife, but she went with an infiniti QX56 instead. But for when Im looking again I know that the commander is off my radar. Thanks for the good feedback

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Diesel Ford excursion. Slap a roof basket on top and your golden. Best alternative to the minivan.. lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Awsome rig!!! However around here all the diesel excursions have 300k+ and are priced at 20-30K. I cant justify that on a ford. I can buy a low mileage imported diesel 80 series for less.

Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
That is the biggest problem with the Excursion, specially the diesel, is that most people think they are worth there weight in Gold. Or at least that is what I have seen everywhere I have lived and that is if you can even find one. And for the prices I have seen you could probably buy a used Suburban and put in a 5.9 Cummins, or do a Duramax conversion on one.

john casson

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Danville CA
Member #

I have searched and found no real info on an overland vehicle with seven seats, with the 3rd row being removed/folded down for overlanding but folded up/ but back in for regular use. I know there are quite a few on here and on other boards that overland in something that seats 7, but from what I have seen most of them just leave the 3rd row flat/removed all the time. I am looking for something where the 3rd row is easy to remove/ replace and while down/out leave a flat surface for ease of loading/ unloading. In another thread asking about unitbody or BOF, I had decided to go with a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon XL/Yukon since it seats 7 and is BOF. However, while browsing sites like Craigslist, I have come across a wide array of vehicle that might suite the same needs since it will be my DD and will only see the 3rd row not used when overlanding which means I may not need something huge. I would prefer a vehicle where it is not a hassle to remove/put back the 3rd row. I have compiled a list and need help narrowing it down to say 3 to 5 vehicles because I have noticed that some vehicle have a better life in some areas than others. Will be moving back to the mainland in the next year or two, just not sure where and want options.

Here is my list in no particular order:

00-04 Discovery II
04-09 LR3
00-07 Land Cruiser / LX 470
07 to – Land Cruiser / LX 570
03 to – Ford Expedition or Expedition EL
00 – 03 Ford Excursion
00 to 13 Chevy Suburban / Tahoe / Yukon / Yukon XL
02-09 Chevy Trailblazer EXT
00 – 07 Toyota Sequoia
03-16 Nissan Armada
05 – 12 Nissan Pathfinder
02 – 09 Lexus GX 470
09 – Lexus GX 460
06 – 10 Jeep Commander

I think that all have 7 seats or had the option, and all but the Commander are BOF. Please correct me if I am wrong, wiki is not always right with somethings and sometimes it is hard to tell with pictures/ descriptions.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I apologize for the long post(my wife says I don't know how to shut up about topics I enjoy).
My 07 pathfinder, 7 seat which the 3rd row lays down flat with a lot of cargo room. Screenshot_20180708-173053.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Bjorn and Brutus

Skullman

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sturgis Michigan
Member #

I have a 99 Suburban which I lifted 4” and now run 33’s on 15” rims. The 350 cid engine is as reliable as morning. I just did a first tune up at 185,000. The 3rd row pops out in a few minutes without tools and provides 9’ of flat with the second row folded. I camp in it, tow with it, work out of it and get groceries with it. While it is wide and long And not as nimble as some other wheelers I find it perfect for me. My wife wants me to replace it with a new one but I refuse. Good luck with your decision.

Attachments