• HTML tutorial

mattjans

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rockville, MD, USA
Member #

Forum noob here...

Anyone pulling something like this (e.g., a TurtleBack trailer or similar) with a Chevy Tracker?

http://turtlebacktrailers.com/
http://turtlebacktrailers.com/trailer-specs/

Looks like it would be too heavy for the Tracker. Mine is a 2002, 4-door, 4wd. Rated for 1000 lbs trailer (1500 if trailer has its own breaks). But off-roading with a trailer adds additional engine stress climbing and control/breaking demands descending.

I'm just starting to build out my Tracker (still stock) and work with a local outfitter to make it more off-road worthy. Will go either rooftop tent, or trailer, or both. I like the idea of trailer with tent on it, so the vehicle can be detached for roaming. But I'm guessing that I may be dreaming about what this machine can do. Probably won't be doing too much intense climbing, etc the first year out, so looking for solutions that gets me and the wife out into the desert/woods more, even if it's not extreme overlanding right away.

This all reminds me of my first mountain biking ride with a group. It was billed as a "beginner ride", but half way through, as I was talking to someone about why we're trying to clear logs and do steep climbs right out, she said "There's no such thing as a 'beginner's ride'". Wondering if off-road camping is kind of like that. Once you get off road, you have to be ready for a range of terrain. Curious if that's your experience.

More importantly, what are y'all doing with Trackers :)

Thanks!

-Matt

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

You are really going to need to look at what your GVWR and or if there is a separate GCWR number. Keep in mind, all gear and persons add in on the GVWR. From some quick googling, you don't have much extra capacity built in to your rig. Before anything, I would load up your rig with the people and some gear and head to a scale (lots of truck stops have these) to see what your weight actually is and then subtract that from The listed GVWR to see how much trailer you are looking at.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I would not second that vote, because of their weight alone.

I would start with a Lowe’s 3x5 Carry-On brand trailer and build off of that. That should come in at maybe 750lbs fully loaded with an RTT, camping cases, and water.

If you were feeling up to it you could buy an axle, leaf springs, and some steel and build one yourself... pretty easy endeavour if you can measure, cut, and weld steel.

James