Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

Hey folks!

I'll be camping/wheeling with a group down in Moab, UT for a week and I'm looking into some freeze dried foods to cook for breakfasts and dinners.

I plan on making cold cuts for lunches, but breakfasts and dinners I'd like to experiment with.

What are your top 10 freeze dried meals?

Thanks in advance!!

Seth

mrseth

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

My go to food supply.
I was looking at these online and they all have great reviews! I think Ill be giving them a shot on this trip. Good serving sizes, lots of different meals, easy to make, easy clean up.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I was looking at these online and they all have great reviews! I think Ill be giving them a shot on this trip. Good serving sizes, lots of different meals, easy to make, easy clean up.
I buy the #10 tins on sale and break them down to single serving. Double vacuum seal with a oxysorb. The biscuits and gravy, chicken and rice are great.

Reactions: mrseth

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Hey folks!

I'll be camping/wheeling with a group down in Moab, UT for a week and I'm looking into some freeze dried foods to cook for breakfasts and dinners.

I plan on making cold cuts for lunches, but breakfasts and dinners I'd like to experiment with.

What are your top 10 freeze dried meals?

Thanks in advance!!

Seth
Biscuits and gravy is my fav, fills you up so your not hungry an hour later. It’s all going to be your personal taste, Some I like better than others, I have around 30 in our emergency Hurricane supplies. Cant go wrong with Mountain House.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Mountain House is a outgrowth of Oregon Freeze Dry. Located in Albany OR they got started in the early 60's. I remeber eating LURP's in Viet Nam back in the late 60's and getting hand written notes in the packages from the workers, mostly women, encouraging us. I never forget that. It was good food then and it great food now.

mrseth

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

So here's what I'll be doing (I think). The organizers have given us a $125 budget for food supplies, I think it'll be more than enough and I can donate my remaining credits to other people on the trek.

Monday
B: Hospital food (where I work)
L: On the road food
D: Mountain House Beef Stroganoff

Tuesday
B: Mountain House Scrambled Eggs w/Bacon
L: Cold Cuts/PBJ
D: Mountain House Lasagna

Wednesday
B: Pop Tarts, Oatmeal
L: Cold Cuts/Beef Jerky/Snacks
D: Dinner provided to group by Moab Brewery

Thursday
B: Mountain House Breakfast Skillet
L: Lunchables and Cold Cuts
D: Mountain House Chicken and Dumplings + Mountain House Raspberry Crumble

Friday
B: Breakfast Skillet

Lunch and Dinner will be on the road home

I am grabbing some small cookware and plates/bowls. I have an MSR Whisperlite that I'll be using to boil water for each meal- should be pretty easy to setup, cook, breakdown, and clean.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

@mrseth please keep in mind that some of the Mountain House portions are rather large. For instance, the meal posted with my dog was lunch for my wife & I (plus Chase's portion) wife & I ate til we were comfortable (not full) & I still had a small amount of leftovers for lunch the next day.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
@mrseth please keep in mind that some of the Mountain House portions are rather large. For instance, the meal posted with my dog was lunch for my wife & I (plus Chase's portion) wife & I ate til we were comfortable (not full) & I still had a small amount of leftovers for lunch the next day.

You kind of need the large portions because the calorie counts are pretty low. If we're riding around in a vehicle all day it's no big deal but if you are working your rump off you are going to be calorie deficient for the day if all you eat is 3 Mountain House meals a day. Sodium content is on the high side as well for those who are sodium sensitive for whatever reason. They can be a little pricey as well coming close to the cost of MREs in some cases. They also require quite a bit of water for obvious reasons BUT for most of us that is not an issue in a Jeep or truck or whatnot since we are carrying plenty but when I've traveled via motorcycle for long distances it can start to put a strain on your water supply when you need water for this, water for cleaning, drinking, hygiene ect.

All that being said. I do love the meals. It's always fun to bust out the "ice cream" and have a snack at the end of a long day :D. I always keep some on hand for trips. Your meal plan looks well thought out, Id' stick with that. It's hard to beat the speed of prep/taste ratio haha. Cleanup is equally fast since the package doubles as it's own garbage bag. :D

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I know I am way late to this conversation and Downs is correct about the sodium and the amount of food. Wise foods is the best to me and I mix it up with mre meals and fresh out of my whynter fridge/freezers (500.00 on Amazon). I travel to the north west US and Canada for 2 weeks of nobody for mile every year. Just do not try and bring a green apple back to the US.

Reactions: Downs

ap19delta

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Collierville, TN, USA
First Name
An
Last Name
Member #

If you get a chance. Try to find the Norwegian freeze dried MREs. The brand called "REAL TURMAT." I've tried all of the menus and all of them are extremely delicious to me.

Oranger

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hastings, MN, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZAU
I have not had freeze dried foods camping before, will have to give them a shot after hearing these positive remarks.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Mountain house is the best of the big players but packit gourmet is by far the best. Good to go foods is fantastic too.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Mountain House is a outgrowth of Oregon Freeze Dry. Located in Albany OR they got started in the early 60's. I remeber eating LURP's in Viet Nam back in the late 60's and getting hand written notes in the packages from the workers, mostly women, encouraging us. I never forget that. It was good food then and it great food now.
LOL yep had my share of LURP's I was post Nam was a high school freshman in 74 but joint after graduation.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I just ordered a sample pack from these guys. The other brands all taste good but the amount of carbs was killing me. Of course, they are all loaded with salt. The good to go brand is way too carby for me to even try.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I just ordered a sample pack from these guys. The other brands all taste good but the amount of carbs was killing me. Of course, they are all loaded with salt. The good to go brand is way too carby for me to even try.

I will look at them. Thanks for the link.