Best/Favorite Weekend Trips (Friday night~Sunday Night) from the Bay Area?

• HTML tutorial

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Bald Mountain (E of Fresno), South Cow Mountain BLM area (near Ukiah/Clear Lake), Lakes Basin/Sierra Buttes area (N of Truckee), Hungry Valley SVRA/Miller Jeep Trail (Grapevine area). All of these can be done in a weekend from the Bay Area in less driving time than getting to Bishop.

Last edited:

Influencer II

Bald Mountain (E of Fresno), South Cow Mountain BLM area (near Ukiah/Clear Lake), Lakes Basin/Sierra Buttes area (N of Truckee), Hungry Valley SVRA/Miller Jeep Trail (Grapevine area). All of these can be done in a weekend from the Bay Area in less driving time than getting to Bishop.
How technical are the trails at the places you've listed? Will a stock 4runner make it up there?

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

How technical are the trails at the places you've listed? Will a stock 4runner make it up there?
Bald Mountain has a variety of trails around it with 2 that go to the top of the mountain. 1 is easier than the other. Cow Mountain and Hungry Valley have a variety of trails for all abilities (maps with ratings are available online). Lakes Basin/Sierra Buttes area also has a variety of trails and fire roads (maps are available at Bassetts store).

The trails in all these places range from fire roads to extreme challenges, so a stock rig will have a chance to get dirty.

riffman12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Creek, CA
Member #

Very easy, especially if I saw a Prius up there haha.

I went up through King City and then through Hunter Liggett Army Base it brings you up the backside of the ridge vs from Hwy 1 since it's closed.

Here's the gps coordinates:

N 35.970157 W 121.451025
I went up there last weekend and also saw a Prius there... Hopefully it's not the same one

Awesome camp site though!

uzj100

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I went up there last weekend and also saw a Prius there... Hopefully it's not the same one

Awesome camp site though!
That was me driving behind you for a while! Sorry I didn't stop to say hi when you pulled over. Looks like you found a great site.

riffman12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Creek, CA
Member #

That was me driving behind you for a while! Sorry I didn't stop to say hi when you pulled over. Looks like you found a great site.
Haha I figured that had to be an OB member. Your rig looks great - I love a 100 series with bumpers. I actually pulled over because my temp gauge was starting to creep up :grimacing:

Got a new fan clutch and it all seems to be fine now.

Usal Beach is a decent drive, but 100% worth it. Just got back yesterday:

riffman12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Creek, CA
Member #

any other ideas? Would like to take the old man somewhere for Father's day this weekend. Bay Area is going to be crazy hot so it would be nice to go somewhere a bit cooler.

Looks like most of the Stanislaus Forest is still closed. Anyone know anywhere good up by Shasta?

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

Yea, I LOVE the Pinnacles. It was an excellent way to "practice" backpacking and configuring my setup even further since I would leave camp early in the morning and do the long loop which took from sunrise to sunset (I think it was 30 some miles?), and get back to the campgrounds.

Yosemite is nice, but it seems impossible to get a spot there, without reserving in advance.

Hollister is nice, but as you say, it's only like a day trip thing. Not to mention, it get's boring quick.

When you say "your rig is built", what do you mean by this exactly? How built of a rig are we talking?

That trail looks fun!!!! How modified do you need to be to go through that trail?
I had a 74' FJ40 Land Cruiser with a Sky Jacker Lift and 33" tires when I did the Slick Rock Trail.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Looking for suggestions for the CLOSEST/SHORTEST DRIVE from east Contra Costa.

I want to do the least driving possible, but still escape the summer heat.

I'm open to mountains or coastal. I just dont want to be on the highway for hours!

Any suggestions?

Sent from my VS985 4G using OB Talk mobile app

uzj100

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I'm open to mountains or coastal. I just dont want to be on the highway for hours!

Any suggestions?

It's hot everywhere. I'd just drive to the nearest coast.

Reactions: boss324

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Yup just came back from Seattle 80s and parts of Oregon were in the 100s!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
We'll be heading to the creek on Slick Rock tomorrow to Sunday if anyone wants to head up there.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Some of our favorites, along with ideas of places still on our list, that are within driving distance for a regular weekend (some of which are mentioned already):
  • NW of Tahoe/lakes basin area - Sierra Buttes; other ideas include Poker Flat, Deer Lake/Gold Valley, etc.
  • Ellis Peak near Tahoe.
  • Shirttail Canyon - super easy graded road off I-80. Great family place with a little swimming area towards one end.
  • CA4 - Corral Hollow and Slickrock Trail. Barney Riley trail is a bit rough but ends at a pretty great camping area with hot springs.
  • Behind Yosemite - Bodie Ghost Town; other ideas include Kavanaugh Ridge, Copper Mountain, and Deadman Pass.
  • Hollister Hills SVRA
  • Oceano Dunes SVRA
  • Knoxville/Lake Berryessa
  • Mendocino National Forest - tons of FS roads up there. We've done a couple of them but have only scratched the surface. Been dreaming of taking a weekend trip from Lake Pillsbury to Mendocino Pass/Hammerhorn Lake via Hull Mountain.
  • Redding/Red Bluff areas - Lassen Volcanic NP / Peligreen Jeepway, Bowerman Ridge, Shasta Bally Peak.
  • Lost Coast Beach/Usal Beach
  • Old Coast Road down by Big Sur - super easy road that very pretty.
Pretty good starting list. I'd recommend picking up Charles Wells' book on California off-road trails. Tony Huegel has a couple too that we've used to find some more "off the beaten track" areas to explore. Search the authors' names on Amazon and you should get a whole bunch of hits.

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

We did a 3day/2nite Mendocino trip that was pretty sweet. We had to build a bridge over a huge washout to continue through our path to make it to camp. But that's what it's all about!

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Some of our favorites, along with ideas of places still on our list, that are within driving distance for a regular weekend (some of which are mentioned already):
  • NW of Tahoe/lakes basin area - Sierra Buttes; other ideas include Poker Flat, Deer Lake/Gold Valley, etc.
  • Ellis Peak near Tahoe.
  • Shirttail Canyon - super easy graded road off I-80. Great family place with a little swimming area towards one end.
  • CA4 - Corral Hollow and Slickrock Trail. Barney Riley trail is a bit rough but ends at a pretty great camping area with hot springs.
  • Behind Yosemite - Bodie Ghost Town; other ideas include Kavanaugh Ridge, Copper Mountain, and Deadman Pass.
  • Hollister Hills SVRA
  • Oceano Dunes SVRA
  • Knoxville/Lake Berryessa
  • Mendocino National Forest - tons of FS roads up there. We've done a couple of them but have only scratched the surface. Been dreaming of taking a weekend trip from Lake Pillsbury to Mendocino Pass/Hammerhorn Lake via Hull Mountain.
  • Redding/Red Bluff areas - Lassen Volcanic NP / Peligreen Jeepway, Bowerman Ridge, Shasta Bally Peak.
  • Lost Coast Beach/Usal Beach
  • Old Coast Road down by Big Sur - super easy road that very pretty.
Pretty good starting list. I'd recommend picking up Charles Wells' book on California off-road trails. Tony Huegel has a couple too that we've used to find some more "off the beaten track" areas to explore. Search the authors' names on Amazon and you should get a whole bunch of hits.
Good list!

I've done the following that can be day trips

Corral Hollow - moderate trail
Laviathan mines road other side of Barney Riley trail - moderate trail
Old Coast Road - easy family friendly
Carnagie - OHV 4x4 play area
Frank Raines - OHV
Hollister Hills - OHV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: BCBrian

Garlic Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Gilroy, CA
First Name
Jarad
Last Name
Derosa
Member #

Any suggestions?

From your location your best bet is just head East on highway 4. It is the closest with the best reward possibilities. Coral, slick rock, and deer valley are all in the same general area. Cannot go wrong. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: BCBrian

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

When is the last time you did Peligreen? I was going to check it out a while back but wasn't sure the condition it was in.
We haven't yet. The list I posted included our favorites along with others that are on our list of places that we still want to go. I've heard there's a washout near there but I'm not sure if it's actually the trail or just one of the roads near it.

Garlic Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Gilroy, CA
First Name
Jarad
Last Name
Derosa
Member #

I'm heading up to Arnold for the weekend. Unfortunately the wife and kids said no to the hot, loud, windy Jeep so I am taking the MDX. Going to explore best I can with what is really an all weather rig versus the rock crawler. Guess I won't be doing Slick or Deer this trip. But then again.... [emoji16]. I'll post pics of how brave I get. It's a first gen so at least it's the more SUV'ish of the models as they are now basically just all wheel drive minivans. (all be it more sporty)

Wish me luck.
Bear ob#6811

Sent from my SM-G900V using OB Talk mobile app