Beginning the Adventure Life Style

• HTML tutorial

Sawdoff

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi I am a new member from Iowa and thanks to some off road adventurers named Yeti and Yolo, I am starting to turn my 2011 Chevy Colorado into an Overland Truck. I am about to have twins so I want to start a rig we can all enjoy together.
If anyone has suggestions on where to start, I am all ears.
I am a photographer/videographer by trade and a avid hunter.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

Yeti and Yolo are quite the inspiration aren't they?!

For starters I'd say the first and most important component to an adventure ready rig would be a good set of all-terrain tires. Once you have confidence there, they will take you even further than your confidence behind the wheel will.

After that just go out on short trips and see what you end up needing and start building accordingly. Sprinkle in a few wants with those needs and I think you'll have a vehicle you and the family can really enjoy!

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Go on to Wilco Offroad and look for the tire gate so you can carry a high-lift jack spare tire and still have room in your bed for all your other supplies. I agree start with a good set of tires get a spare find a way to get the truck off the ground in case of an emergency. Tiregate vertical mount bolt right on to where your existing tailgate goes no other modifications very simple.

Last edited:

luchaDor

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Hi I am a new member from Iowa and thanks to some off road adventurers named Yeti and Yolo, I am starting to turn my 2011 Chevy Colorado into an Overland Truck. I am about to have twins so I want to start a rig we can all enjoy together.
If anyone has suggestions on where to start, I am all ears.
I am a photographer/videographer by trade and a avid hunter.

Thanks for your help!
Did you go yesterday? I was there as well, they're super nice!!

Sawdoff

Rank 0

Traveler I

Very cool. Well, we gave each other a head nod then...lol. Guess that counts as meeting in bro code...lol

I'd never been there before, but always wondered what that place was, so had to check it out!
Since you're close, is there any descent places to look for truck gear in the area? I am just getting started.

luchaDor

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Since you're close, is there any descent places to look for truck gear in the area? I am just getting started.
Well, there's always the standard, overpriced truck shops. http://americantoppers.com/ has some truck stuff.

I think you'll find its best to dig through here and see what others are using on their mid-sized trucks, look for Colorado forums and see what folks are doing, etc. I'm in the same boat with my Commander. Love it and it's slowing becoming my overland rig, but vendor support can be a challenge. I'm in a couple of facebook jeep commander specific groups that that really helps. I'm sure there is a similar one for your truck.

If you're talking lifts, skid plates, etc...I'm pretty sure there are Colorado/Canyon owners here to help. Good luck!

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

After that just go out on short trips and see what you end up needing and start building accordingly. Sprinkle in a few wants with those needs and I think you'll have a vehicle you and the family can really enjoy!
You hit the nail on the head here. You just have to drive it for your purpose and develop a list of where you think it can be improved. For some that is tires, others lockers, others storage, etc. Heck, I think a lot of people come to realize how capable their stock rigs actually are and end up changing their "wish lists" after actually getting on the trail and using their trucks!