Rank II

Enthusiast I

Cumming, GA, USA
First Name
Graydon
Last Name
McKee
Member #

Question: What types of communication equipment should I start looking into? I see some references to HAM Radio sets.. Don’t you need a special license for those? I have several sets of hand held radios (GMRS or something like that) that I was given over the years and I’m hearing those are required for group trips. Back in the day we used CB Radios but I see no reference to them.

Is there a thread that breaks it all down for an old dog like me to learn from?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Grrydon,

There is some good information here on the topic of comms. For example, take a look at the very detailed boot camp article on US Comms - An Introduction to your communication options

Information can also be found in the Comms subforum.

It is important that you have the radio application on board, which is used by most of the people you are traveling with. I think that in the US this will be mainly GMRS and HAM. Members based in the US can tell you more about this. Here in Europe CB is still used a lot.

Bjoern

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Question: What types of communication equipment should I start looking into? I see some references to HAM Radio sets.. Don’t you need a special license for those? I have several sets of hand held radios (GMRS or something like that) that I was given over the years and I’m hearing those are required for group trips. Back in the day we used CB Radios but I see no reference to them.

Amateur Radio requires a license as does GMRS. FRS, doesn’t require you to purchase a license and uses the GMRS frequencies (channels) at lower power.
CB isn’t used much any more, but that might change now that the FCC has allowed FM service on the CB channels. We as overlanders don’t use CB much because it is a very short range radio with limited power output compared to GMRS and Amateur Radio.
Amateur Radio is the preferred method of communication because it gives you the ability to have short range communication for convoys and long range communication in the event you need to call out for help.

FRS has a 1/4 mile to mile range, great for spotter to rig coms, but sucks for rig to rig coms in large groups. GMRS has a range of about 25-50 miles and the ability to connect to repeaters (if there is a public repeater in the area) allowing up to 75-100 miles, 2m Amature band can travel 50-100 miles without a repeater under good conditions but typically 50-75 miles in the mountains. 2m/70cm can also use repeaters (which are generally open for public amateur radio use) and give the ability to transmit data up to 250 miles. And then if you upgrade your license to general you have access to all of the HF bands and can communicate around the globe reliably depending upon time of day and what frequencies you are able to use.

I remember when I was in the same conundrum debating what radio service I would go with. I dug out my old CB, made a base station antenna and turned on my radio for several months. I never heard anything but static. I then looked for repeaters in my area on GMRS, found only one within a 200 mile radius, and it’s privately owned, so that’s was out. I then looked into Amateur radio. I found I had 8 repeaters within 30 miles that are all open to the public, and two of which serve emergency services as their primary use (meaning that 2 repeaters are directly tied into the state and county emergency management team and monitored 24/7 for emergency traffic). I then sent an email to one of the local amateur radio clubs to see how active they are… come to find out there are 17 nets total running 7 days a week on 14 different repeaters. And there are more than 300 check ins per day on those nets. So that means there are at least 300 people with their ears to a radio throughout the day. Now figure that out of those 300 people, 25% have thier General License or higher that’s 75 people monitoring the HF frequencies. Each region has its own set of HF frequencies that are known for emergency use. Here in Region 7 we use 3.950.00 through 3.960.00 for ecom. So out of the 75 people, 15 are directly tied into state or county resources and can help send the required aid.

So obviously I installed my CB and have never looked back, not caring to ever make a contact and only needing it for one meetup… ohh wait, no I didn’t, I got my General license, and am studying for my Amateur Extra. I run a 100 watt all band all mode radio capable of Voice, and Data Coms, along with a 100 watt 2m radio set up only for digital communication via packet email and APRS . I can talk to people within my group, within the county in which I’m travel through, or if need be to an emergency service center. I can send an email to my wife when I’m miles from cell service, or send a text message to the group leader. No other radio service provides this kind of flexibility.

BUT… If everyone is using CB around you, go with CB. If everyone is using GMRS, go with that…. If you are going solo, or the group is using amateur radio, go with amateur radio.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

CB isn’t used much any more, but that might change now that the FCC has allowed FM service on the CB channels.
How would that FM transmission impact a traditional AM CB radio? Would it just trigger the gate but not have any tone?
In Texas, there are still hobby CBers and many of the local commercial trucks still chat on it. I get a lot of traffic info on my daily commute from the CB.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
How would that FM transmission impact a traditional AM CB radio? Would it just trigger the gate but not have any tone?
In Texas, there are still hobby CBers and many of the local commercial trucks still chat on it. I get a lot of traffic info on my daily commute from the CB.
You would hear funny noises coming from the radio… almost like R2-D2.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

MadMedic

Rank V

Trail Mechanic II

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
McCamley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRPG822
Service Branch
Fredericksburg FD
I just got my GMRS callsign: WRPG822

I'm not a HAM yet, but studying the manual. I'm not sure HAM is what I want to get involved with though. I am more interested in just being able to pick up a device and talk, not necessarily knowing all these technical aspects of radio. I'll be following this threat to see what people have to say.

I haven't received the radios I ordered yet so I don't have anything valuable to contribute yet.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I just got my GMRS callsign: WRPG822

I'm not a HAM yet, but studying the manual. I'm not sure HAM is what I want to get involved with though. I am more interested in just being able to pick up a device and talk, not necessarily knowing all these technical aspects of radio. I'll be following this threat to see what people have to say.

I haven't received the radios I ordered yet so I don't have anything valuable to contribute yet.
If you haven't yet check out the Overland Communication section, there is a lot of good ham and GMRS info there as well as the US Comm-an introduction to your communication option thread that Bjoern (El-Dracho) linked to earlier . You are also welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I’m wondering if people don’t have them already then. Sometimes I’m picking weird noises, I just figured it was a modified roger beep or custom sound effect.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m wondering if people don’t have them already then. Sometimes I’m picking weird noises, I just figured it was a modified roger beep or custom sound effect.
The first FM radios only hit the market a week ago. Not to say the pirates haven’t been doing it for years.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Here in Massachusetts theres not much chatter but I definitely hear it near the central part of the state as I approach the CSX Intermodal. And I hear more chatter as I head west or south from there.

I'm also curious about how the FM is going to work

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Small comment on the Ham aspect. If you are a 4 wheeler you may understand the term Gate Keeper. I took my no code Technician exam almost 30 years ago and have not looked at a tech manual or worried about various specifications since then. I have used the 2m and 70cm bands pretty much exclusively since. These fit my needs. Someday I will upgrade and put an HF rig in my overlanding beast and play with those bands. But for now, the gate keeper is behind me and I am happily wheeling on the 2-meter bands. The Ham community has a lot more to offer than any of the other comms methods. And the Ham community, at least in my experience, has been a lot like the OB community, willing to help those who want to learn.

Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch

It all depends on what you need and wher you go. First off for help in an emergency a Zoleo, Garmin Inreach, Spot type SOS unit. They have different features and do have a cost associated with them but in a medical emergency will get help to you location fast and work from the north pole to south pole. Cell phone ( already have that I would guess ) for communication when close to cell towers, some add a cell phone booster antenna to their rig to get out farther. Gmrs radio for trail communication rig to rig or rig to spotter, I have a mobile 50w unit in the Jeep also carry a few good handheld units incasr i have to get out and spot someone or walk away from camp. there is a license fee associated with GMRS its like $70 for 10years and no test involved so its more of a government tax than anything. A good resource for the GMRS radios would be google ( buy two way radios ) the staff there has been very helpfull antime a calle or emailed for info. CB seem to be on the way for the off road overlander groups but if you run a lot of highway you can talk with the truckers.

Reactions: RN J
R

RN J

Amateur Radio requires a license as does GMRS. FRS, doesn’t require you to purchase a license and uses the GMRS frequencies (channels) at lower power.
CB isn’t used much any more, but that might change now that the FCC has allowed FM service on the CB channels. We as overlanders don’t use CB much because it is a very short range radio with limited power output compared to GMRS and Amateur Radio.
Amateur Radio is the preferred method of communication because it gives you the ability to have short range communication for convoys and long range communication in the event you need to call out for help.

FRS has a 1/4 mile to mile range, great for spotter to rig coms, but sucks for rig to rig coms in large groups. GMRS has a range of about 25-50 miles and the ability to connect to repeaters (if there is a public repeater in the area) allowing up to 75-100 miles, 2m Amature band can travel 50-100 miles without a repeater under good conditions but typically 50-75 miles in the mountains. 2m/70cm can also use repeaters (which are generally open for public amateur radio use) and give the ability to transmit data up to 250 miles. And then if you upgrade your license to general you have access to all of the HF bands and can communicate around the globe reliably depending upon time of day and what frequencies you are able to use.

I remember when I was in the same conundrum debating what radio service I would go with. I dug out my old CB, made a base station antenna and turned on my radio for several months. I never heard anything but static. I then looked for repeaters in my area on GMRS, found only one within a 200 mile radius, and it’s privately owned, so that’s was out. I then looked into Amateur radio. I found I had 8 repeaters within 30 miles that are all open to the public, and two of which serve emergency services as their primary use (meaning that 2 repeaters are directly tied into the state and county emergency management team and monitored 24/7 for emergency traffic). I then sent an email to one of the local amateur radio clubs to see how active they are… come to find out there are 17 nets total running 7 days a week on 14 different repeaters. And there are more than 300 check ins per day on those nets. So that means there are at least 300 people with their ears to a radio throughout the day. Now figure that out of those 300 people, 25% have thier General License or higher that’s 75 people monitoring the HF frequencies. Each region has its own set of HF frequencies that are known for emergency use. Here in Region 7 we use 3.950.00 through 3.960.00 for ecom. So out of the 75 people, 15 are directly tied into state or county resources and can help send the required aid.

So obviously I installed my CB and have never looked back, not caring to ever make a contact and only needing it for one meetup… ohh wait, no I didn’t, I got my General license, and am studying for my Amateur Extra. I run a 100 watt all band all mode radio capable of Voice, and Data Coms, along with a 100 watt 2m radio set up only for digital communication via packet email and APRS . I can talk to people within my group, within the county in which I’m travel through, or if need be to an emergency service center. I can send an email to my wife when I’m miles from cell service, or send a text message to the group leader. No other radio service provides this kind of flexibility.

BUT… If everyone is using CB around you, go with CB. If everyone is using GMRS, go with that…. If you are going solo, or the group is using amateur radio, go with amateur radio.
Great info. I appreciate it as well.

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

Rochester, Washington, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRQJ715
I'm in favor of GMRS + Garmin inReach
Ham operators can simply tune to my GMRS frequency. People with nothing can use FRS and be kept in the middle of the pack.

In a REAL emergency, I don't want to rely on maybe having people check in throughout the day. That SOS button with a staffed call center is comforting.
In a minor emergency, the Garmin allows me to text my wife to throw some tools in the old truck and come get me.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Ham operators can simply tune to my GMRS frequency.
Yes and no. A radio has to be "type approved" to be legal in any particular band; most, if not all, HAM radios are not type approved for GMRS so there is a legality issue. That does not stop a lot of folks but does stop some. Additionally most (good quality) HAM radios can listen on GMRS frequencies but cannot transmit on GMRS frequencies unless modified. I have some of both - modified that can RX and TX and unmodified that can RX GMRS only. The scourge cheap Chinese radios are in a class of their own with the ability to TX and RX on HAM and GMRS frequencies - the FCC is cracking down on their sales.

That SOS button with a staffed call center is comforting.
And expensive should a rescue ensue!

Reactions: slomatt