Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I really rough it. I just dial the thermostat to the interior temp I want and then sleep in what ever I want. It runs off of gasoline or diesel and uses outside air for combustion and vents outside as well. With the 1" Styrofoam insulation of the teardrop, I can heat it all night at zero degrees on a 2 litre tank. I have a queen size sleeping area with 5" thick cushions.

It makes the wife happy and you know what they say.

Been thinking of making a big switch to send the hot air outside through a dryer vent hose to the porta potty tent so if I have to make a trip at night, it will be warm. Nothing worse than having to scrape the frost off the porta potty before using it. ;-)

DesertFox

Rank III

Advocate II

California
Member #

Exped MegaMat Duo 10 mattress http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/megamat-duo-10-ruby-red
Sierra Designs Frontcountry Queen sized sleeping bag https://sierradesigns.com/frontcountry-bed-queen-syn-30-degree/
Therm-a-rest compressible pillow https://www.thermarest.com/pillows/camp-head-compressible-pillow-1

95% as comfortable as my bedding at home.
Exped MegaMat 10 is the best pad I have ever owned. Adjustable firmness and nice and wide so that you can move around without falling off. 9R value keeps the chill away. This pad is worth every penny.

Sent from my HTC U11 using OB Talk mobile app

Passe-Partout

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

5466 Ashleigh Road, Fairfax, VA
First Name
Claude
Last Name
Imbt
Member #

My sleep system varies so much depending on what I’m doing. I have a dozen sleeping bags, do I have a problem?

For typical overlanding where I’ll sleep in my truck bed or my shiftpod here is my set up,

Summer:
US Army cot
Thermarest Neo Air 25” wide inflatable pad
Sierra Designs front country bed 600
Seat to summit inflatable pillow

Winter:
US Army cot
Thermarest 25” wide reflective ridge rest
Thermarest 20” insulated and reflective neo air inflatable pad
Big Agnes 15 degree mummy bag
Boiling water poured into a Nalgene bottle placed at the foot of my bag which stays warm all night.
For real cold weather I’ll add a hammock gear 20 degree top quilt inside the bag
Sea to summit inflatable pillow.

If I am backpacking I use the same pad combos but swap out the sleeping bags for one of my two hammock gear top quilts, one is 20 degree and the other 40 degree, the are lighter and so much more comfortable than a bag.

I have various other bags but these are what I use most of the time.
Nice set-ups!

Reactions: Cort

GrnRubi

Rank 0

Traveler I

Montana
We sleep in RTT, winter it's a 20 degree triangular sleeping bags, spring, summer & fall queen size bottom sheet, queen size top sheet & a quilted blanket. I changed out my RTT mattress for a Exped Duo Queen Size XW & XL. What a dream to sleep on. It's almost every bit as good as our home mattress tempur-pedic mattress.
View attachment 55436
I wish I could find the Duo 10 LW+ in stock, been looking for awhile now. I’m starting to wonder if they make it anymore

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Man I know sleeping is important and all but some of these items you all listed cost more than my first car......I got an instant up tent, has 2 rooms, but we use it without the divider, we put all our stuff on one side, including the extreme coolers and sleep on a 22" tall inflated mattress, sleeping bags.

Am looking into some sort of batter powered/12v electric blankets for really cold camping. or maybe a mr buddy heater.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have multiple tents....an inherited canvas wall tent (military style), a nylon Coleman type wall tent. a nylon 2 man old school tent(backpacking) The wall tents are for weekly type stationary camping, where the comfort of cots and standing up come into play.
A rectangular duck filled 20' bag(favorite), a old flannel 55' rated bag, a newly acquired down mummy bag, which is a type i do not like but the price was right. A closed cell foam mattress pad. I can layer the down bag with blankets/moving pads/or the flannel bag to increase cold weather ability's.

Coleman 2 burner(gas/propane conversion) a Esbit alcohol cooking stove kit, And a generic propane/butane canister rocket stove.

Reactions: yak51