Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Wondering if people have opinions on bed racks for my ZR2 pickup. I have a RTT coming for Xmas and need to get a rack to mount it. I am leaning toward a 12" modular rack from CBI, Datin or Relentless. I like the idea of keeping the tent lower but maintaining some room to mount things on the sides of the rack. The full size (16") seem to have more mounts available but I don't like the 200lbs of tent being up so high and aero hit I'll take.

Any experience with modular racks vs. welded and low mount vs. high?

Thanks

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Yes, 589 is an option too. They don't seem to have as many mounting accessories, though. Which rack are you running?

I am interested in whether the taller rack is an issue for aero drag and or the weight of the RTT being up high causing stability issues off-road.

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I bought a flush mount from 589 Fab to hold me over since it was low cost and I needed something for some upcoming trips. I am still planning to get the Relentless modular rack when it becomes available. I do like the 589 in that the RTT is tucked flush/below the roof so great aero and lower center of gravity but I can't access the bed as easily nor can I mount some items on the rack sides. The lower height Datin looks good but I think I'll wait for the Relentless since I am working with them on bumpers and feel like I can put a complete solution together based on the swing out tire carrier.

Reactions: jplemons

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

I bought a flush mount from 589 Fab to hold me over since it was low cost and I needed something for some upcoming trips. I am still planning to get the Relentless modular rack when it becomes available. I do like the 589 in that the RTT is tucked flush/below the roof so great aero and lower center of gravity but I can't access the bed as easily nor can I mount some items on the rack sides. The lower height Datin looks good but I think I'll wait for the Relentless since I am working with them on bumpers and feel like I can put a complete solution together based on the swing out tire carrier.
Thanks. I like the look of their rack for the Toyotas. Can’t wait to see what they do for Chevy as well.

Tun_Of_A_Gun

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Central Florida
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Metheney
Member #

New to OLB but really curious after not so successful searching, does anyone have any idea of companies that offer a bedrack system that will work with a tonnneau style cover? Either roll in lock or Retraxor similar flush hard cover? I understand some fabricators have made brackets that go around the covers but that just seems like a weak point to me. Any information would be much appreciated. I have found the Retrax Pro that offers a T bolt style railing but the 2 rail options I see are either extremely low or high I’m looking for a mid style height with option to mount accessories on the side of rack along with RTT.

KB Voodoo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Olean, NY
New to OLB but really curious after not so successful searching, does anyone have any idea of companies that offer a bedrack system that will work with a tonnneau style cover? Either roll in lock or Retraxor similar flush hard cover? I understand some fabricators have made brackets that go around the covers but that just seems like a weak point to me. Any information would be much appreciated. I have found the Retrax Pro that offers a T bolt style railing but the 2 rail options I see are either extremely low or high I’m looking for a mid style height with option to mount accessories on the side of rack along with RTT.
We specialize in bed racks that work with tonneau cover.

Look here: Shop — MAX Modular Truck Bed Racks

And here: TONNEAU COVER FITMENT GUIDE — MAX Modular Truck Bed Racks

Let us know what truck you have, and we can offer further assistance.

Reactions: Tun_Of_A_Gun

KB Voodoo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Olean, NY
Looking for something to work with 2019 Tundra crewmax shortbed.
Our STEEL Max and ALUMAX racks are perfect for you. We offer them in 10", 14", 18", and 22" heights.

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I used a flush mount rack for about 6 months. I liked the low center of gravity, aero advantage and covered most of the bed for security. The downside was lack of room for storage. I’m trying a new modular rack from Relentless Fabrication.

Attachments

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I always in dilemma between topper or great rack with boxes . Too me a full enclosure is better you can sleep in, great rack is looks better, more functions. Unfortunately, nothing between