• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Chelan, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
C
Hey all,

I want to take the wife out on a little overnight in our new 2019 4runner. Nothing rigorous at all, we aren't fully equipped yet.
What we do have is your essential overnight camping gear, extra water, comms, gas, etc. My thought was get a roll up pad for the interior and lay the seats down.

Anyway, Im looking for a mild trail within 3 hours or so of Santa Cruz to get a little muddy and camp out overnight. I would appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks!

VonTrapp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Von Trapp
Member #

I was just about to search a similar question! New to the forum... new (to me) Jeep... hoping for the same ideas - quick trip, minimal equipment, just to scratch the nature itch.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I would head south toward big sur. Your title says Sierras and I would recommend against that until late spring. But when it does get nice up here make sure to get in touch with me and I can give you some advice.

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

Hey all,

I want to take the wife out on a little overnight in our new 2019 4runner. Nothing rigorous at all, we aren't fully equipped yet.
What we do have is your essential overnight camping gear, extra water, comms, gas, etc. My thought was get a roll up pad for the interior and lay the seats down.

Anyway, Im looking for a mild trail within 3 hours or so of Santa Cruz to get a little muddy and camp out overnight. I would appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks!
I just went to China Camp in Los Padres. It's about 2 hours from Santa Cruz. It's a small primitive site. 10-mile dirt road to get there that gets dicey in the rain. Pretty remote.

BettyWhiteOneSeven

Rank VI
Launch Member

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
Los Padres National Forest, which includes one of the most scenic drives in the world through hwy. 1 Big Sur. Search up Prewitt Ridge and Coast Ridge Rd. Be sure to see if hwy. 1 has closures, it wouldn't hurt to check the NF website also. Many nice spots to be had

Was just there this weekend for the first time ever. Absolut lay gorgeous area and awesome drive. Highly recommend!

But yeah, be sure to check Highway 1 conditions, can almost guarantee it closed during rainy weather but open pretty fast afterwards. The drive to Prewitt Ridge campground has some gorgeous views. Took my PreRunner up there no problem even in the pouring rain. IMG_3829.JPG

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

if you want a two for, hit the trail next to the bixby bridge. follow that all the way around till it hits highway 1. its a nice drive through some beautiful land. although no camping...

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

When we were going down the other side of the hill, there was a full size 90's suburban coming up the road. I dont recall any even hair raising spots for our 4 runner, you should be good.

Reactions: 91B/91S

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Old Coast and mentioned before is very accessible, Coast Ridge Trail is a little more rugged with a lot more opportunities for exploring.

I'd also suggest Hi Mountain Rd, Pozo CA good camping lots of trail options better in Spring, too hot in summer IMO.

If you are up for more of a trip... 4 hrs Poker Flat is a great beginner trail but no services and less people.

Attachments

Reactions: McGrizzly

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

How about the Oceano Dunes, just camp all the way down away from everyone.
Make sure to make your reservation it used to be unlimited but in recent years there is a max allowed camping. If its full camping near by in Pozo or Los Padres are good options.

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
PiPi Campground off highway 88. The actual campground was closed (as of two weeks ago) but there are plenty of beautiful spots along the river outside of the main campground. It’s all National Forest and BLM land around there so you can camp pretty much anywhere. Also lots of dirt Forest Service roads to explore. Elevation is low enough that there’s no snow at this time. I was just there a couple weeks ago. Beautiful drive up over the pass (88) if you want to see snow. Here’s a pic of my campsite.

And here’s snow further up the pass...

Sonarman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North SF bay area
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Arietta
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KMA6AIU
Service Branch
US Submarine Force
PiPi Campground off highway 88. The actual campground was closed (as of two weeks ago) but there are plenty of beautiful spots along the river outside of the main campground. It’s all National Forest and BLM land around there so you can camp pretty much anywhere. Also lots of dirt Forest Service roads to explore. Elevation is low enough that there’s no snow at this time. I was just there a couple weeks ago. Beautiful drive up over the pass (88) if you want to see snow. Here’s a pic of my campsite.

And here’s snow further up the pass...
No pic?