Battery Maintenance - Is this something you do?

• HTML tutorial

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Lately, due to our current situation, I have been driving less. The Jeep comes out about every two weeks or so. In order to keep the battery conditioned, I installed a modular solar system. What methods do you use to extend the life of your battery? Solar, battery tender, Solar battery tender? DIY or just buy?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I installed this Bluetooth device on my secondary battery as well as my solar battery.

Amazon.com: Battery Monitor BM2 BM3 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Battery Tester 12V Automotive Battery Load Tester,Automotive Charging and Cranking System Monitor Digital Battery Analyzer for Android & IOS: Automotive

Like you my vehicles are just sitting idle. When the Bluetooth status shows a low charge, usually indicated by a percentage of charge, then I plug in my Noco battery charger. I'm mostly concerned about my main and secondary battery. The solar, well is changed by solar on most days. It's been overcast/raining lately.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I installed this Bluetooth device on my secondary battery as well as my solar battery.

Amazon.com: Battery Monitor BM2 BM3 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Battery Tester 12V Automotive Battery Load Tester,Automotive Charging and Cranking System Monitor Digital Battery Analyzer for Android & IOS: Automotive

Like you my vehicles are just sitting idle. When the Bluetooth status shows a low charge, usually indicated by a percentage of charge, then I plug in my Noco battery charger. I'm mostly concerned about my main and secondary battery. The solar, well is changed by solar on most days. It's been overcast/raining lately.
That is a nice little upgrade. I really like the idea of the monitor.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Battery tender mounted overhead. Also storage in a garage when not in use. I will not have a garage and have my vehicles "living" outside. And sealed AGM type batteries.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
After I killed my odyssey from not driving, I installed a small 50 watt panel on my roof with a renogy charge controller. This does two things. First and foremost, keeps my almost 2 amp parasitic draw from killing another and second, it tops off my battery after driving. My vehicles alternator only does a fair job of charging AGM's. This is the little extra, keeps the state of charge my battery needs. The controller can be accessed with Bluetooth from my phone.
If the vehicle had to sit for a long time, I have a Genius 4amp onboard charger left over from when I had my TJ. I didn't have a spot for a panel on that vehicle so I mounted the charger under the hood.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

After I killed my odyssey from not driving, I installed a small 50 watt panel on my roof with a renogy charge controller. This does two things. First and foremost, keeps my almost 2 amp parasitic draw from killing another and second, it tops off my battery after driving. My vehicles alternator only does a fair job of charging AGM's. This is the little extra, keeps the state of charge my battery needs. The controller can be accessed with Bluetooth from my phone.
If the vehicle had to sit for a long time, I have a Genius 4amp onboard charger left over from when I had my TJ. I didn't have a spot for a panel on that vehicle so I mounted the charger under the hood.
Wow a 2 amp draw?? That seems very high. I engjoy using AGM batteries too.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I use a 6amp Kohler float charger.

Toss the battery in the garbage every 36 months and you'll never have a battery failure.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

G & J

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Lake Tahoe, United States
First Name
GregAndJulianna
Last Name
W
Member #

I’m sure you are aware, but for those who are reading this thread and are not, AGM batteries require an AGM specific battery monitor charger to keep them in good shape over the long term.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have a small batter tender a can plug into a power socket in the garage /barn, but my 99 Jeep GC is parked too far for it to reach and I havent successfully started it in months...fail. I'm having too much fun riding in my 14 GMC Sierra so I havent bothered with it

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I’m sure you are aware, but for those who are reading this thread and are not, AGM batteries require an AGM specific battery monitor charger to keep them in good shape over the long term.
I think all the currently built battery tender brand models are AGM compatible. NOCO IMO makes a better though more pricey one, I believe most of them are compatible with wet cell, AGM, and lithium.