Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
You did a great job on the write up and explanations, well done!

Excellent ! GPS's are good but batteries don't die on old school map and compass.
That's what I always tell the people in my classes and there are a lot of areas around me that a GPS doesn't get a signal.

DzrtShamrock

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Betts
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0AWV
Very thorough write up of the basics. A few additional thoughts that occurred to me as I was reading:
1) think carefully what kind of map coordinate system you want to use. Lat/Long coordinate are great when you have a large scale map or are calculating travel over large distances. Other coordinate systems are UTM (universal transverse mercator) and MGRS (military grid reference system). Both of these function similarly, with the exception being that MGRS uses a alphanumeric code to identify the map sheet being used while UTM simply uses additional numbers. Either of these can be used with a protractor to find locations and azimuths more precisely. It can also be used to measure distances. While MGRS can be a little easier to read because the map sheet identifier is visually broken up from the point location, UTM maps are a little easier to find.
2) The relevance of the datum for a map has to do with the potential accuracy of coordinates. If coordinates were pulled from a map using a different datum, for example, they might not translate correctly.
3) When planing a route, it's often less of a headache to traverse the high ground as opposed to simple straight line of bearing. If you're traveling over undulating or mountainous terrain, travelling on a straight azimuth may result in a lot of up and down. When moving over the high ground you may go up farther, but that also means you can identify your next point a lot easier.
4) Try to avoid approaching hills or ridges from a draw and instead move up the spurs as your approach angle will likely be more consistent. Draws typically start out at a lower angle but end up a lot steeper as you approach the high ground.
5) In addition to orienting the map north, try to keep it oriented that way as you go along. In essence, each time your direction changes, turn the map as well. In essence you're orienting the map according to your direction of travel. That way, as you move you're able to navigate by terrain association and should make it easier to keep your bearings.

All that being said, I highly recommend the milGPS app as it'll let you pick your coordinate system, map datum, etc. It'll also allow you to enter waypoints and calculate route legs (distance/direction, etc).

Reactions: Cort and 64Trvlr

RustyBolt

Rank 0

Contributor I

Abilene, TX, USA
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Thomas
Thanks for the refresher course on land nav. Its been more years than I care to admit since I did any of this in the Army. Its been many moons. Great info

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I agree that MGRS is a fantastic system however UTM or USNG are the standard among LEO/SAR. If you haven’t checked out USNG it’s the closest to MGRS. I’m a land nav nerd and I’m excited to work with the new datum that’s soon to come. Check out this: New Datums - National Geodetic Survey

Reactions: 64Trvlr