Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I'm in the process of developing a series of "Checklists for Overlanders" and would appreciate your input on the following questions:

What are the 3 most important items in your Base Camp Kit?

What item are you currently considering adding to your kit?

If you had to lighten the load, what item would you leave at home due to its minimal significance?

(Extra Credit: Do you have a base camp checklist? Care to share it?!)

Thanks for your help!

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I have several checklists for my planning. I find that you have to try and identify categories and try to split it up a little or it just gets tough to manage.

I would love to see threads or subforums just for safety/medical gear as I think most of us could learn more about that and how to use the gear and where to get things.

My checklists have columns for quantity, name, description, pack location, status (items that need updated/re-filled/charged/etc), dimensions, pack weight.

It would be nice to start a shareable google spreadsheet for the forum and allow people to submit things (maybe via a google form) to a curated list. It would obviously contain alternatives/options for things, but people could create their own lists from it. Firestarting for example.. probably 50 ways to do that.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@mbwesner That's exactly where I'm headed with these questions, to develop categorized checklists for newcomers to reference, and seasoned travelers to consider for improvements to their own kit.

I've got some suggestions in the queue to @administrator for a "Overland University" forum where we can create threads dedicated to all aspects of overland travel (especially safety) to again, help the novice get started on the right foot and re-enforce/refine the concepts used by the experienced among us as well.

Great point on listing the status of items and their weight, that's usually the first thing I forget about.

I'll defer to Michael on the google spreadsheet, I think he has done this in the past for badges.

Great stuff, thanks for the input!

Reactions: SLO Rob

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I imagine that you guys are going to get busy pretty quickly with this member base growing. I would be happy to volunteer some time to help out with something like this.

When I can't be out in the world I do spend time obsessing over planning and organization... not just what gear, but how the heck I am going to carry it around and re-pack it once everything somehow magically expands by 50% when you start living in the muck of the world! I like to be able to load my gear quickly and have everything have a place. I don't do the roof top tent thing, but I like to be able to make camp as easily as possible. I could probably bore someone for hours about all the measurement and planning that I have put into cases and finding stainless steel fronrunner tables that perfectly fit on the shelf in the back of a LR4 right over my cases. I can slide the cases in and out to the tailgate while still having gear stored on top of the table in the back. (no pictured)

The big cases go on my roof via (EO)2 mounts. Light weight stuff (For 4 people). Then the 1630 case with kitchen gear goes into the back, I use it as a slide out on the tailgate and live out of it. I also use Plano cases for dry food stores and other supplies.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I'll work on something we can use and get back to you soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I want to give this a try... FYI @administrator @stringtwelve

Form to enter data. http://goo.gl/forms/m7qyMDWRh2

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/103LmWw-sYWzS3KHuVDWa-rhEtQIk8Ia4O1PFC14FEAY/edit#gid=699649665

Spreadsheet that anyone can view.
It has a tab which the form entries will flow into. Then we (moderators or whoever @administrator would like) can curate by moving items to different sheets (tabs at bottom) and try to manage categories or other ways to organize data. We can modify the form as needed. Please PM me email addresses (google accounts) and I can add you as editors.

So I propose that we try this out and see if it gets us something we like. I might want to add more optional fields, such as brand, tags, keywords, sub-categories, so its more searchable. I can open it up to allow anyone to edit, but that can get very messy...

As for how we transport and organize, I think we just need show and tell threads. ... like this

I took a picture of part of my grab-and-go shelf that I have. This shelf has the tent up top, a front-runner water can with the brass tap on it, Benelli SuperVinci Shotgun behind by the wall, next shelf is tarps, door 'carpets', Vestabule, tent stake bag, snow peak stakes/hammer, rope. Pie cooker, tent organizers. Then I have my Pelican 1730's on the two shelves, those are empty when im not using them (I clean them out). They have the (EO)2 mounts on the bottom for the roof rack. They usually store sleeping bags, pillows, self-inflating air pads (alps mountaineering comfort series) which should be stored inflated as seen. Then I have the tent pole bag, sleeping bags on the 2nd to bottom. A lot of my gear is in my Pelican 1630 case which ive posted before.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Think this is a good idea. But before I post my gear here, I think I have to clean things up, and organize it. Then I can show off with my gear. :grin:

Thanks.

Greetings from Robert

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I will echo mbwesner and offer my time up. If you guys need any help with anything at all on these here forums just let me know. I would be happy to help in any way I can.

As for the question at hand. This question is fun because there is no right or wrong answers. There are some silly answers. But since this is almost entirely personal preference, I don't see any wrong answers. What I pack is entirely dependent on where I am going and what time of year it is and most importantly, who is with me. I am a big supporter of minimalism. My wife, on the other hand, isn't. There are a few things that always get included in my base camp kit regardless of any variable.

What are the 3 most important items in your Base Camp Kit?

1) Backpacking Stove - Can boil water or throw a skillet on it. We have a bigger stove but the backpacking stove comes as a minimum.
2) Tent or Hammock - I sleep in the hammock when temps are good and my bride stays home. But the tent is almost always with me.
3) Camp Chair - Sounds ridiculous, but I'm pretty serious about my relaxation.

What item are you currently considering adding to your kit?
- I hadn't really thought about this much lately. I'm happiest when I don't have much stuff with me. But if I had to add something, the Tembo Tusk Skuttle looks pretty awesome. Tembo Tusk Cooking Skuttle

If you had to lighten the load, what item would you leave at home due to its minimal significance?

- I suppose I could live without the chair. Or maybe the stove. Or both, in a pinch. hmm. Let's go with stove. Wait, no, Chair. Is chair the right answer? ummmm... Yeah. Chair.

I hope I understood your questions and was able to answer them in a way that was at least remotely helpful.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@mbwesner Awesome! I'm a bit busy with my camper renovation but I'll try and share soon!

@cjones Thanks for the answers! The intent of my questions are to drive folks to think critically about their kit, prioritize, then cut the fat. I think it would be very interesting to see how people answer these questions. Plus, it would help newcomers develop their wish lists based on the highest priority items identified in this thread.

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

If we could break the entire Base Camp Checklist down into 3 - 4 main categories, that would help the 'easily distracted' folks like me.
And can we distill the lists down to a few main 'must have' items before loading up with other items?

1. Eating
- cooking
- food storage
- ???
2. Sleeping / Shelter
- tent / trailer / hammock
- sleeping bag / blankets
- ???
And so on.

SonOfNeptune

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Springfield MO
Member #

I imagine that you guys are going to get busy pretty quickly with this member base growing. I would be happy to volunteer some time to help out with something like this.

When I can't be out in the world I do spend time obsessing over planning and organization... not just what gear, but how the heck I am going to carry it around and re-pack it once everything somehow magically expands by 50% when you start living in the muck of the world! I like to be able to load my gear quickly and have everything have a place. I don't do the roof top tent thing, but I like to be able to make camp as easily as possible. I could probably bore someone for hours about all the measurement and planning that I have put into cases and finding stainless steel fronrunner tables that perfectly fit on the shelf in the back of a LR4 right over my cases. I can slide the cases in and out to the tailgate while still having gear stored on top of the table in the back. (no pictured)

The big cases go on my roof via (EO)2 mounts. Light weight stuff (For 4 people). Then the 1630 case with kitchen gear goes into the back, I use it as a slide out on the tailgate and live out of it. I also use Plano cases for dry food stores and other supplies.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Nice setup! Are those plano cases. I see one of them is the pelican. Where did you get the padded inserts?

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/103LmWw-sYWzS3KHuVDWa-rhEtQIk8Ia4O1PFC14FEAY/edit#gid=699649665

It has a tab which the form entries will flow into. Then we (moderators or whoever @administrator would like) can curate by moving items to different sheets (tabs at bottom) and try to manage categories or other ways to organize data. We can modify the form as needed. Please PM me email addresses (google accounts) and I can add you as editors.

So I propose that we try this out and see if it gets us something we like. I might want to add more optional fields, such as brand, tags, keywords, sub-categories, so its more searchable. I can open it up to allow anyone to edit, but that can get very messy...

As for how we transport and organize, I think we just need show and tell threads. ... like this

I took a picture of part of my grab-and-go shelf that I have. This shelf has the tent up top, a front-runner water can with the brass tap on it, Benelli SuperVinci Shotgun behind by the wall, next shelf is tarps, door 'carpets', Vestabule, tent stake bag, snow peak stakes/hammer, rope. Pie cooker, tent organizers. Then I have my Pelican 1730's on the two shelves, those are empty when im not using them (I clean them out). They have the (EO)2 mounts on the bottom for the roof rack. They usually store sleeping bags, pillows, self-inflating air pads (alps mountaineering comfort series) which should be stored inflated as seen. Then I have the tent pole bag, sleeping bags on the 2nd to bottom. A lot of my gear is in my Pelican 1630 case which ive posted before.

That Google doc/form just nerded me out. FYI.

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Nice setup! Are those plano cases. I see one of them is the pelican. Where did you get the padded inserts?
The Pelican 1630 comes with those dividers. They are very handy and worked well for custom camping gear organization. I bought that case from a photography place.. so i think it is intended for that. The 1630 is pretty heavy, more weight per volume than the huge 1730 cases (which came with the cubed foam).

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I keep a box in the back of my Jeep at all times that has a propane stove, firestarting kit, tow equipment, food, water, water filters, extra change of clothes for each member of the family, extra ammo and mags, small 2-person tent and a Trasharoo! I love the Trasharoo's lol.. Oh, and a fire extinguisher. As always the CB, flashlights, etc... are in the Jeep too.

Reactions: Lane Boatright

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

Wow! I didn't know you could even do this in the forums! Cool. I'll need to add some gear!

JESSE N

Rank 0

Traveler I

Where can i get those cases

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Just search for pelican cases. They are available on many sites and in many sizes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk