DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We are planning an off pavement travel/dispersed camping trip to BESF this year. Nothing fancy with tents and stock trucks.

We will be using our 2015 RAM 2500, BUT may also trek out with our 03 or 99 Dodge 2500s.

We camp every weekend from start of fishing season in April til November in different campgrounds across Pennsylvania with our camper.

We have recently been turned on to this overlanding information and would like to try it on a small scale then get bigger until we find ourselves getting further out into North America.

So it begins...

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So, the equipment.

Will start with the 2015.

It is Tradesman 2500 in the Crew 8 foot bed. Has Vinyl seats and rubber floor. 6.4l Hemi and 4x4.

Right now I have stock size tires but plan to make the one mod of larger aggressive tires.

We plan to just use our tents on the ground at first, but also plan to incorporate the 8 foot bed into a sleeping platform.

20190922_141618.jpg

Reactions: Big G and PNW EXPLR

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Our next piece of equipment is a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500. It is equipped with an 8.0l V10 Magnum and 5 speed manual transmission. It is a Sport package truck, and this is the one we will be the one we modify a bit more.

It has been a great truck. It has taken us on so many adventures and has spent a good bit of time doing things off road that most full size trucks never do.

Unfortunately, the Pennsylvania cancer has attacked it and it is in desperate need of rust repair. I already have alot of the body panels...just need some time.

It will need some mechanical attention for reliability (it's got some miles)20140710_153440.jpg

Reactions: Big G

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I have been studying the State Forest map and going over it with google maps and topo maps.

My son and I (he is 6) just completed an introduction to orienteering. So he is anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Purple Lizard maps and to start using them.

We go offroad most every weekend. I have been teaching him driving skills, obstacle observation and just alot of knowledge about nature.

This is going to be alot of fun for us.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Ok, so been thinking of when I can head up to scout around. Was going to go this weekend, but 6 + inches of snow in the forcast and ice mixed in.

I need to head up to my camp and move some vehicles around as I have 2 trees that have leaned over from the last wind storm.

I got all the batteries charged, so I may do that this week/weekend.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So looks like we will head up 99 then across 322 to Potters Mills.

We will then enter at Sand Mountain Rd and check out site 48. From there I guess we will drive to a fork in the road and play iny meny miny mo.

I guess I need to gather a list and setup for the trip, that way there is no excuse for that day I can head out.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Just got confirmation, the forest service is sending me a paper copy of the camping and public use map.

It is very hard to view on my phone.

Plan to get them both laminated and use them in conjunction with the Purple Lizard maps when they arrive.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
This maiden scout trip will be with the 2015 RAM. Has 4wd and plenty of clearance. Won't be taking much gear, just some lunch, the maps, cellphone, tablet, and the stuff I usually have with me.

It is 1hr drive to the set in point and then I will just scout around til dusk. Would like to try to get Intel on as many campsites as I can. Also, other entrances and exits.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So, after getting some info, I realized that i may be able to do a drive from home to Rothrock State Forest and then travel through there, offroad as much as possible, to Bald Eagle State Forest.

Looks doable and might be able to setup a base camp at Trough Creek and then plan to travel for the day and then camp in BESF and then travel back the next day.

Interesting thought. Just emailed for the Rothrock maps and info.

Good times.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So, after getting some info, I realized that i may be able to do a drive from home to Rothrock State Forest and then travel through there, offroad as much as possible, to Bald Eagle State Forest.

Looks doable and might be able to setup a base camp at Trough Creek and then plan to travel for the day and then camp in BESF and then travel back the next day.

Interesting thought. Just emailed for the Rothrock maps and info.

Good times.
Looking forward to following along on your adventures. Sounds like you've got yourself a great copilot/navigator as well.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So, we are also active geocachers and have just started orienteering.

Here is a shot of our favorite geocaching area and our findsScreenshot_20191213-125247_Geocaching.jpg

We see Bald Eagle has a few in the forest.
Screenshot_20200122-190029_Geocaching.jpg

So we will be geocaching on the trip aswell

Reactions: riss800

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@LGlx you are definitely planning on exploring the forest.

Longwell Draft is in the southern section, Negro Hollow is central and Duncan is northern.

That ought to be a nice trip.

Any reasons you picked those roads/trails?

Are they from the blog?