Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Are you an avid backbacker? Do you go Ultralight? What are your must have's on a backpacking trip!

Let's hear about your backpacking setups!

Reactions: VagabondApril

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

In the summer, I will likely have my hammock, light sleeping bag, some food I prepped at home, spare base layer, Light Shell, spare socks, Trekking poles (If trails are steep), Multitool, Water bottle, Sawyer filter, lighter/flint, small first aid kit, map/compass, and a head lamp.

Reactions: Crispy

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

In the summer, I will likely have my hammock, light sleeping bag, some food I prepped at home, spare base layer, Light Shell, spare socks, Trekking poles (If trails are steep), Multitool, Water bottle, Sawyer filter, lighter/flint, small first aid kit, map/compass, and a head lamp.
What pack are you using? I'm planning on getting a new pack next month for my birthday.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I haven't for quite a while, but used to quite a bit. Not ultralight! Kelty external frame pack, synthetic mummy bag, self inflating pad, Timberland solo tent, water bottle and filter, first aid kit, small lantern, Whisperlite stove and small pan, bowl, spoon with a mix of home dried food and commercial, maps, compass, small binoculars, hiking stick, and a mix of wool and synthetic layers.

That doesn't seem like much, considering how heavy it felt at the end of the day...

The same stuff on my touring bicycle was much better. I've yet to try it in my kayak.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

What pack are you using? I'm planning on getting a new pack next month for my birthday.
I don't think its made anymore. It's a 33 liter Black Diamond alpine day pack. Its white and is most similar to the newer Speed 40 pack.

I use an REI pack that is 45 liter in the winter. Winter extras include my crampons or snowshoes, Ice Axe, msr mini stove with fuel, gloves, bivy (replaces hammock), inflating thermarest, Heavier mummy bag replaces light bag, Shovel and my layering is warmer.

BillS

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bay Area CA
Member #

Definitely not light weight, I use a Mystery Ranch Wolf Alpha. They don't make it anymore but very similar to their Tactiplane or 6500. It's a load carrying beast.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

That sounds about the same for me too. I will tend to bring a small stove setup also with a single pot to store it all. Ive definitely been trying out hammock camping more and more lately but have a small 2 person tent I can throw in also if my wife comes along.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I just came across this thread, and thought I would chime. My wife and I are both avid backpackers. We've hiked the Appalachian Trail, Long Trail, and Ozark Trail. In addition to those trails we've also hiked all over country, and plan on continuing that this summer. This summer we'll be hiking the Colorado Trail, and then onto the Pacific Crest in April 2018.

Here's some gear basics that we have, and of course this depends on the weather.
*HyperLite Mountain Gear 3400 Windrider
*Granite Gear Crown VC 60

*Big Agnes Insulated Air Core 20x72
*Mid Atlantic Mountain Work's Top Quilt 35*
*Mid Atlantic Mountain Work's Top Quilt 0*
*Enlightened Equipment Emigma Top Quilt 40*
*North Face MICA SL2 Tent

*MSR Pocket Rocket
*Evernew Titanium Pot
*Plastic sporks
*Sawyer Filter
*Aquamira water treatment
*Smartwater bottles

I'm a bit of a gear junkie. I can continue with this list, but I don't want to bore everyone. Happy trails!

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Just picked up the Osprey Poco AG Plus to tote the kid around in the backcountry. Super excited.

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

My wife and I are. We aren't truly ultralight, more like sortalight. My pack is a first gen ULA, before they had names. It's supposedly the predecessor to the ULA Ohm. It's crazy light and roomy. We only hammock camp while backpacking, and use Warbonnet hammocks. Our insulation varies by season, but it's all Hammock Gear down insulation. My one big pleasure is I pack a good bit of coffee and I always have a pistol. Those are my 2 luxury items as far as weight goes. My pack, without food and water is 10.7lbs with a southern U.S. winter load.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

My one big pleasure is I pack a good bit of coffee and I always have a pistol. Those are my 2 luxury items as far as weight goes. My pack, without food and water is 10.7lbs with a southern U.S. winter load.
I hear you on the coffee. When were out for shorter hikes I carry a grinder, and Snow Peak French Press. Nothing like having a good cup of coffee before hitting the trail.

Reactions: southernfire97

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Coffee doesn't do that to me. I guess I drink so much of it, I'm immune to its side effects.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Coffee doesn't do that to me. I guess I drink so much of it, I'm immune to its side effects.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392
Yeah same. I don't really get the caffeine high either but that might have come from the multiple years playing video games and energy drinks.

Reactions: southernfire97

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

I think 16 years of getting paid to drink coffee has dulled the effects of even the strongest brew. My oldest daughter bought me some Death Wish Coffee. We brewed it per the instructions at work. It was pretty good. Brewed some at home and my wife said she thought her heart was going to explode. I guess I've ruined myself over the years.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

LandPirate

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Having just gotten back into backpacking and learning a few lessons many years ago I can say the most important thing for me is a comfortable, lightweight pack that fits your specific frame / body very well. For me that pack is the Granite Gear Blaze AC60 (Men's Medium).

There is nothing that can ruin a trip faster than a pack that doesn't fit right or itself is a large portion of your load with no other net benefit to you. I borrow from ultralight packers but have many luxuries that are way above what they would ever carry. In other words, I have no problem packing less of certain things, re-containering items and moving stuff into lightweight ziplock bags, but I'm also not going to leave my Thermarest at home since the terrain up north here is so rocky everywhere for example.

I haven't been backpacking in 10 years until a few days ago and I had so much fun with the new setup that I can't wait to get back out there. The new pack fits like a dream and I have my load down massively using new technology and materials that are lightweight and packable. It truly is a different game now than it used to be.

Soft Toilet Paper

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sonoma County, California
Member #

Are you an avid backbacker? Do you go Ultralight? What are your must have's on a backpacking trip!

Let's hear about your backpacking setups!
Mr. Crisp,
Just wanted to say hello.. I am an avid Thru Hiker and Back Country Hiker. I was always broke and Backpacking or Walking didn't cost much.. So it worked out for the good.. Lol..

Soft Toilet Paper

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sonoma County, California
Member #

Mr. Crisp
Yes, I started out Backpacking everywhere, matter of fact in your area.. Sonoma County and Napa county. I like Mt. Saint Helena.. My must have... Soft Toilet paper.. Lol.. I do have three ultralights.. Offsprey weekend and overnight packs...my trusty modified been through hell and back, Velcro, dirty and tired Camel Pak and I just bought a Mc Gregor Thru hiking backpack. I normally use Offsprey packs but I was seduced by this new pack, because it came with a 20 watt output solar charger setup And two rechargeable batteries..