Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

I carry a chain saw, so I really only use an axe for splitting. I picked up one of these for < $40. It chops better than a maul, but splits better than an axe.

Besides, everyone knows, the best axe is the one that matches your shovel, Hi-Lift, and gas can ;-)

View attachment 9047
Where did you get this axe?

Reactions: Kelly

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I've used the True American Double Head Axe for a couple seasons now and been happy. It has one side that is sharper for fine work and a side that is less sharp, but great for ground working; whereas if you strike a stump, log or branch on the ground with this side, you aren't going to ruin your fine edge on the other side. I have yet to sharpen it, but need to work it over now that the winter is here. Been very happy with it. It rides on my Tire Carrier along with my shovel and other gear.

Reactions: revamp and Kelly

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Love my Fiskars splitting axe. I have the hatchet & pick as well. I've been meaning to pick up their maul, but my friend/neighbor always brings his, so I don't really need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Turnerxc

coffeeshark

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
dawn
Last Name
mcclure

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Love my Fiskars splitting axe. I have the hatchet & pick as well. I've been meaning to pick up their maul, but my friend/neighbor always brings his, so I don't really need one.

I too have a fiskars 23" axe. I've only used it once to test it and it works great.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

Order one of these and you will never need another one.

I second this.

Or get a good used one from at least the 1960's clean it up sharpen it then re-hang the head on a new handle and you will have a good ax that holds an edge. Better Steel back in the day. I have 3 Collins axes that are a min 60 years old. They work great.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
For me an AXE aint an axe if it aint got a hickory handle , I have a husqvarna carpenters axe and a woodsmans axe . I use them both for work and play but just been told they are going over to plastic in the near future .

Last edited:

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Gansfors, Wetterlings, and Hults are the leading brands but are expensive.

I went with the Husqvarna multi purpose axe, its made by one of the big 3 but for a significantly less price.

Check out Wranglerstar on YouTube for some good axe videos including sharpening and setting a handle. Watch enough of his vids and you will see why Fiskers is not ideal. Although if I was leaving my axe mounted outside 24/7 I would probably use a fiskers....

Here is a link to some of his sharpening vids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean S