Axes

• HTML tutorial

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

I carry a Hulti Woodsman, it's 2lb head and 26in. Works fantastic around camp, and looks pretty too.

In my truck workbox there is a fiskers hatchet - just incase I'm chopping dirt.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I'm a bit non-conformist on the axe... I went with a bow saw instead with a small coleman hatchet for driving tent stakes and splitting kindling. I know, not very Paul Bunyan of me of the saw zips through 10-12" logs like a hot knife through butter.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I have a Gerber (Fiskars) and have been pretty happy with it. The fiberglass handle makes me a little nervous but it seems pretty durable. It is a multipurpose axe.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have the 23" Fiskars chopping axe and a bow saw that live under the back seat of my Xterra. If I know I'm going to need firewood, or their is a great possibility of deadfall on the trail I will bring my chainsaw too.

Reactions: Matt

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks Steve, I hadn't seen this thread. Didn't come up under search term "Axe" ;-)

Tom
Wait... "Matt" is Tom? ::scratcheshead::

Yea, the search is screwy, so I'm happy I could help. If you use a three-letter search word, it says it is too common and wont search. Same with other, longer common words. I've found that if I do an advanced search, and tick the "search for word in title" check box it sometimes works better. Or if I know I've posted in a thread, check the box where it searches by user, too. Anything to narrow down the search. In this case, I searched for axes in the title where I've posted in the thread.

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
The right axe, like anything else, depends on what you are going to do with it. If you are felling trees you wouldn't typically use the same axe as you would for splitting kindling. For camping and general use, I prefer to use a smaller hickory handled vintage axe. I find the older hickory handles have a more refined feel to them that you don't find with new axes.

I don't like the newer style Fisker or Estwings, I want something with a good old carbon steel head that is easy to sharpen and stays sharp. The hickory handle is excellent for reducing the impact on your arms.

Here is a good axe you can buy today and not break the bank.
EDIT: For some reason the link from Amazon doesn't show up for me
ChromeDome,

Completely agree and that is part of my question. Meaning, what is the purpose the long handled axe that is affixed to the rack. It would take a lot of work to use it to clear a path (Chopping axe) vs. finding or making rounds at a camp sight and splitting them (Splitting axe). My guess is splitting better for making kindling etc from scavenged or brought wood...

Thanks!

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Fiskars X15 and an old "sawvivor" folding bow saw. Both are compact and targeted for firewood duties.

I'm yet to find any deadfall accross a trail that was not easier to simply move by hand or drag with a truck than it would have been to chop. Out east, probably different.image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jose

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Fiskars X15 and an old "sawvivor" folding bow saw. Both are compact and targeted for firewood duties.

I'm yet to find any deadfall accross a trail that was not easier to simple move by hand or drag with a truck than it would have been to chop. Out east probably different.View attachment 6779View attachment 6780
That folding saw is pretty cool and compact. I like that a lot.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I just have a basic Fiskars axe with the plastic axe-head guard (which is great for packing). I'm not using my axe to create sculptures so a basic axe is more than plenty for me to chop firewood and/or dirt.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Are these axe that they sell at Home Depot also? Also which is the perfect size to get? Thanks

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I prefer a full size axe... it fits nicely behind the rear seat wedged in behind my ARB fridge. It's a relatively light splitting axe. It has a bit of a wedge on it that helps with the splitting.... and yet it's light enough and sharp enough that I can chop a tree down if needed.
My 10 yr old girl finds it a bit long to swing though, whereas with my shorter old axe she had no issues.
canvas.png

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I prefer a full size axe... it fits nicely behind the rear seat wedged in behind my ARB fridge. It's a relatively light splitting axe. It has a bit of a wedge on it that helps with the splitting.... and yet it's light enough and sharp enough that I can chop a tree down if needed.
My 10 yr old girl finds it a bit long to swing though, whereas with my shorter old axe she had no issues.
View attachment 6783
Awesome Winterpeg! Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterpeg

fatkidoutdoors

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Texas
Member #

Looking for recommendation on AXE that would be almost always affixed to the jeeps rack when not in use so subjected to the elements. TIA

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

Right now I have a cheap little Truper Boy's Axe that I keep in the truck. It's a 2 1/4 lbs head with a 26" handle that works pretty well for small stuff. I usually have a chainsaw and use this as my wedge hammer. For $10 I couldn't pass it up.

When I get a chance I'll switch it out for a full weight felling axe, probably with a fiberglass handle. I prefer fiberglass for it durability.

siznarf

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Francis
Last Name
B
Member #

I like the axes and hatchets from Gransfors Bruks. I have the Wildlife hatchet and the Small Forest axe

Different tasks require different axes - at least this was my thinking when I was searching for an ax.

I scored a Wildlife Hatchet made by Gransfors Bruks for $25 from a local knife shop/collector. Best $25 spent. At first, all I knew was the basics - chop stuff off lol ... this ax was so underused til I saw this video. Nowadays, it's a must have - always by my side when out camping.

Check this out:

Reactions: Road and Railman