• HTML tutorial

FJOmega

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Whittier, CA
Member #

I have this 28" Fiskars Chopping Axe (not a spliter).. It's been mounted to the roof rack but hasn't really affected the blade. I've used it for chopping up a tree blocking the trail on one of the adopt a trail clean up days, it seemed to cut pretty well. Since then I've just used it to split some firewood.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Last edited:
Reactions: tom

mtbkr

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

This is a good thread.
Is there an advantage on what kind of material is used for the handle? Between wood, fiber glass or other material, which is a good option for something that stays out on the roof rack and exposed to elements all the time?

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Between wood, fiber glass or other material, which is a good option for something that stays out on the roof rack and exposed to elements all the time?
I keep a Nupla pulaski axe with a molded in fiberglass handle right next to my fiberglass handled #murderspork on the rack specifically for that reason mtbkr. They're not up there year round but I like to not even have to think about it.

Reactions: mtbkr

KellyS

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Anderson, SC
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Slatton
Member #

I'm looking for a good reliable axe that won't break the bank. Gerber, Fiskars or something else?

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

My opinion: the best axe is the one you have. I bought a fiber handled axe from Tractor Supply for around $15 and have been using it as much as I need. Spent the last two days off chopping up roots around a busted water line in the yard. It's been good, I put an edge on it with an angle grinder and touch it up with a bastard file whenever it needs it.

KellyS

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Anderson, SC
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Slatton
Member #

Thanks Steve! I came across that thread a few days ago but couldn't find it again.

1largemouth

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Martinez
Member #

In my opinion spend a little extra o a good axe and get quality. Gransfors are not cheap but will last!

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I'm looking for a good reliable axe that won't break the bank. Gerber, Fiskars or something else?
I carry a chain saw, so I really only use an axe for splitting. I picked up one of these for < $40. It chops better than a maul, but splits better than an axe.

Besides, everyone knows, the best axe is the one that matches your shovel, Hi-Lift, and gas can ;-)

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 10.17.08 PM.png

Last edited:

Bob Seaborn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

barnsley , south yorkshire ,united kingdom
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Seaborn
Member #

I carry a chain saw, so I really only use an axe for splitting. I picked up one of these for < $40. It chops better than a maul, but splits better than an axe.

Besides, everyone knows, the best axe is the one that matches your shovel, Hi-Lift, and gas can ;-)

View attachment 9047

View attachment 9047

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I have an Estwing Sportsmen Axe. I prefer to have tools that I'm going to rely on not be made in China since in my experience I've had a greater fail rate with those (tools I don't rely on heavily come from Harbor Freight). But the Estwing is small and can fit behind my rear seats. One of these day I might upgrade to one of their long handle axes, but for what I've experience thus far the 14" one was fine.

Reactions: 1largemouth