Axes

• HTML tutorial

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I'm looking to get a new hatchet, and eventually an axe. I've looked at Fiskars, and have heard the newer stuff is better. Read the old stuff had some soft metal where the edge wouldn't hold for long at all. Curious as to what you're running and why.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I have Fiskars X27 36" Splitting Axe, and an X7 Hatchet. I got the X27 as a combination splitting tool and everyday axe, but it does neither really well. The angle on the leading edge is too much to use as a general purpose axe, and not enough to use when splitting. It does OK, but two purpose-designed axes, or a general purpose axe and a maul would be a better option. Now, a small splitting hatchet might make a nice tool, but the X27 on 8" rounds of softwood gets stuck too often.

The X7 hatchet is nice, easy to sharpen with the included Fishers sharpener (as long as you don't let it get too dull), and comfortable in the hand.

I also have a SOG F06TN FastHawk and F01TN Tactical Tomahawk, just because they were available deeply discounted enough to consider disposable. The FastHawk is too light, but the Tactical is pretty nice, and seems to hold an edge OK. The almost round oval grip on both doesn't encourage good handling. They look cool, but not a good choice for your only hatchet.

One of these days, I'll end up spending the cash for a selection of Hultafors, Wetterling, or (drool) Gransfors Bruk

Last edited:
Reactions: mattarm

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Stihl makes some great axes, a lot of people only know Stihl for chainsaws and other handheld products. However, we sell the Stihl line and they have some awesome axes. They are a bit salty, IMO. But, regardless they are great quality..

Reactions: Turnerxc

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Stihl makes some great axes, a lot of people only know Stihl for chainsaws and other handheld products. However, we sell the Stihl line and they have some awesome axes. They are a bit salty, IMO. But, regardless they are great quality..
Still's axes are made by Ox-Head/Ochsenkopf. For the Stihl branded axes, they substitute ash handles over the hickory used in their own branded axes, probably to distinguish their own as a superior product. The Stihl Pro axes with the collar are hickory, though.

http://www.ochsenkopf.com/en/index.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/axes/

Reactions: Turnerxc

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Still's axes are made by Ox-Head/Ochsenkopf. For the Stihl branded axes, they substitute ash handles over the hickory used in their own branded axes, probably to distinguish their own as a superior product. The Stihl Pro axes with the collar are hickory, though.

http://www.ochsenkopf.com/en/index.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/axes/

Yes, the Pro axes are the good ones. They seem expensive too me, but I could just be cheap haha. I have also used Fiskars and it seemed decent. I keep a cheap Coleman hatchet in my Jeep most the time and it does well on hacking small stuff but doesn't hold an edge for long.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Here is a price sheet from work on the Stihl axes.. I don't know if that is high or not?
Untitled.jpg

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Got mine from a military surplus, rehandled it correctly.

Holds an edge very well. Very. Happy here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
When I go out I normally carry my Pulaski tool and a camp axe, just because you never know...

Reactions: britz and SGpdx

chromdome35

Rank 0

Contributor I

The right axe, like anything else, depends on what you are going to do with it. If you are felling trees you wouldn't typically use the same axe as you would for splitting kindling. For camping and general use, I prefer to use a smaller hickory handled vintage axe. I find the older hickory handles have a more refined feel to them that you don't find with new axes.

I don't like the newer style Fisker or Estwings, I want something with a good old carbon steel head that is easy to sharpen and stays sharp. The hickory handle is excellent for reducing the impact on your arms.

Here is a good axe you can buy today and not break the bank.
EDIT: For some reason the link from Amazon doesn't show up for me

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I've found the same thing. Any time someone uses the MEDIA tag to post a link to Amazon, I can't see it. If I click reply, I can see the link, copy/paste the item number to Amazon, and go from there, but that's a hassle. I'm on Safari on a Mac desktop if that helps solve the problem.
@administrator

chromdome35

Rank 0

Contributor I

I've found the same thing. Any time someone uses the MEDIA tag to post a link to Amazon, I can't see it. If I click reply, I can see the link, copy/paste the item number to Amazon, and go from there, but that's a hassle. I'm on Safari on a Mac desktop if that helps solve the problem.
@administrator
The thing is, I didn't use the MEDIA tag, I used the link button on the edit window tool bar, the forum software changed it to MEDIA. I tried posting the link without any tag, just the raw HTML string, and it still converted it to the MEDIA tag.

Reactions: Steve

Matt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Gatos
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Meadors
Member #

The question: What type of Axe do you carry and why?

Hi folks, I'm hoping to get some collective wisdom on which type of Axe is better for our overland use.

Certainly a "Chopping" axe would be the right tool for felling a tree or creating passage through a section of downed tree...

And a Splitting "Mall" Axe is the right tool for splitting sections into smaller, burnable chunks.

But I usually only see one axe mounted on a rig and am now wondering: Of the folks that a pick just one, which one do they pick?

Thanks in advance,

Tom